2017 south dakota pheasant hunting brood count survey

Great post !!!! Thanks for link on CRP enrollment , we have a farm in Kansas that is in the east part of our stste that used to be quite good for birds . We have seen a reduced number of birds but in the last 5 years have added buffers and all the CRP the FSA / USDA would allow .

Very much agree with the observation of Corn and Soybean rotation .

"Attributable to the Round-up Ready corn and soybean system"

Right. Doesn't sound much like science speak. Don't know where they pull that out of.

Oh, never mind. I didn't realize what I was reading. I just stopped at the above quote.

My apologies to the SD Fish and Game.

Last edited:
Wow! It's really getting hard to read some of your posts lately U-guide. We get it. Your in the Pheasant Business. If there are low bird numbers, you may not have hunters come out or return the following year. Nobody wants to see that. But to say the Brood count survey will say lower bird numbers (which it will significantly IMO) but we should just dismiss it does not help anyone.
On the pay to play farms we hunt, we have limited out the past 14 years. Some years fast and other years we needed the "golden hour" to get it done. These farms have great habitat.
I've talked to The farmers and people in town who live and work there 24/7 and everyone of them has said birds will be significantly down. They can compare with their own eyes. Driving the roads and not seeing broods as they've seen in years past. I will eat crow if I'm wrong but I will say the SD G&F will come out with roadside counts way way down compared to last year and they will be correct. I hope I'm wrong.

So let me get this straight: the "man" ain't being straight with us? We can't trust anyone with an advanced degree in biology who lives in Pierre? I knew it!!! When did SD legalize "pheasant hunting" for medical use??? far out, man! My knee hurts...heading out there soon. Hey, UGUIDE, I think there needs to be a gathering out there the summer of '19...50th anniversary..."COCKSTOCK"!

"When the truth is found to be lies....
and the last rooster in your county dies...
don't you want some land to hunt........
don't you need some land to hunt.....
wouldn't you love some land to hunt...
you better find some land to hunt....

when the pheasant flowers baby are dead....
yes and your mind your mind is so full of what UGUIDE said....

don't you want some land to hunt....
don't you need some land to hunt....

your grass I say your grass may look like his....
yeah, but in your head baby I'm afraid you don't know what kind it is....

don't you want some land to hunt...

tears are running down and down and down your vest...
and your friends baby treat you like an unwanted guest...

you better find some land to hunt...."

I just tye dyed a peace sign on the back of my hunting vest, man...you'll know it's me if you see me hitchhiking along I 90....should be to Charles Mix county by 2019...COCKSTOCK!!!!! Be there!!!!

I'm still not over the UGIDE "Summer 2017 pheasant update"...I feel EXACTLY the way I felt when I learned that there was no Santa!

I haven't been around for a while.... call me a fair weather pheasant hunter - don't bother me.

What happened to SMO?

B-Banger: you better be careful or you may be banished like "small Munsterlander!"

That's my goal! I need to pull myself away from this fun and get stuff done...fall is coming. But I can't...so I need to be spanked--very robustly--and banished forever....

Truth is UGUIDE does more for pheasants than I ever will...I respect that. But, I am incredulous by some of the statements that have been made over the past month or so...but, whatever, we're all entitled to our opinions. When it comes to brass tacks, if I wanted to hunt SD, especially THIS year, and I didn't want to spend $300 day or more for land access/lodging/guiding, but I didn't have the time to scout a lot...I would book with UGUIDE...no doubt about it. If you are already spending $50 a day for hotel per guy, and spending another $50 a day to eat and drink in establishments per day, or more, then spending $150-$200 a day with him (if you have a kitchen) and getting good land to hunt is a bargain, IMO. You aren't burning $20 a day per guy in gas either, which you can easily do when you leave the hotel at 7 am and go scouting...

So let me get this straight: the "man" ain't being straight with us? We can't trust anyone with an advanced degree in biology who lives in Pierre? I knew it!!! When did SD legalize "pheasant hunting" for medical use??? far out, man! My knee hurts...heading out there soon. Hey, UGUIDE, I think there needs to be a gathering out there the summer of '19...50th anniversary..."COCKSTOCK"!

"When the truth is found to be lies....
and the last rooster in your county dies...
don't you want some land to hunt........
don't you need some land to hunt.....

when the pheasant flowers baby are dead....
yes and your mind your mind is so full of what UGUIDE said....

your grass I say your grass may look like his....
yeah, but in your head baby I'm afraid you don't know what kind it is....

don't you want some land to hunt...

tears are running down and down and down your vest...
and your friends baby treat you like an unwanted guest...

you better find some land to hunt...."

I just tye dyed a peace sign on the back of my hunting vest, man...you'll know it's me if you see me hitchhiking along I 90....should be to Charles Mix county by 2019...COCKSTOCK!!!!! Be there!!!!

Holy Jebus, lemonade coming our your nose really hurts.

Back