2016 Crop Harvest Reports

meridiannursery

Well fellow hunters, the time is nearing. Spoke with my Grandpa today and the machines are going to roll out of the shed next week. Going to cut some silage for the cattle. Everything in the State is very dry and looks like a super early crop harvest. He thought in two week the bean harvest will be in full mode statewide.

Let the crop harvest reports roll in..........

I have heard south central SD has had a big spring wheat harvest and it looks like driving the country that 1/3 of the crops have already been harvested. ..shouldn't take long for the guys to cut the remaining fall crop....could be a lights out opener if all the crops are harvested....it has been a few years since that happened

That's what I have been hearing too. Talked with outfitter near Miller and they are getting ducks in order to go hard on beans in 2-3 weeks with 4 combines running. When the beans are ready they got to get em out quick.

Out checking some corn with neighbor and it is starting to dent but no black layer yet. They want a black layer before a hard frost.

I would venture the corn harvest will run about opener thru Thanksgiving as typical. Producers arent going to pay a penny for any drying costs with these prices. $2.65/bushel for corn in Lake Andes last time I was in there.

Beans

Grandpa started the beans yesterday. Corn is about dried down to 13%. Will hit beans all this week and then start right into corn.

Corn is about dried down to 13%. .

Yikes. That's a "Booyaa!" for bird hunters because 13% corn this early means and early harvest is in order.

This warm dry weather will continue to accelerate things.

This is exactly the type of things that offsets road count numbers. You can have low dew August and warm dry Sept and your road counts will suck but the harvest will bunch up the birds the first half of the season.

Don't look for bird counts....look for habitat....at all times of the year.

USDA CROP Report for Sept 18

Field Crops Report:
Corn condition rated 4 percent very poor, 13 poor, 30 fair, 45 good, and
8 excellent. Corn dented was 89 percent, near 87 last year and the five-year average of 90. Mature was
41 percent, near 40 last year and 38 average. Harvested was 3 percent, near 1 last year and 6 average.

Soybeans condition rated 3 percent very poor, 10 poor, 26 fair, 51 good, and 10 excellent. Soybeans
dropping leaves was 67 percent, equal to last year, and near 65 average. Harvested was 2 percent, equal
to last year, and near 6 average.

Sorghum condition rated 0 percent very poor, 3 poor, 41 fair, 54 good, and 2 excellent. Sorghum
coloring was 92 percent, near 90 last year and 91 average. Mature was 47 percent, well ahead of 18 last
year and 25 average. Harvested was 3 percent, near 2 last year and 7 average.

Last edited:
Soybean harvest has started in portions on SE SD and central SD. I'm guessing within 10 days just about everyone will be rolling on beans. Corn will not be far behind in areas that were dry this year

Just got an email from my camp in Miller. They have 4 combines taking out soybeans.

Looks like some moisture may slow things down on the eastern side of the state Fri/Sat.

Just got a flash flood warning on my phone for Mpls.:cool:

Crossed Sioux falls to Lake Andes today. Saw no combines but not alot that was ready for the takin. Flushed some good colored birds tonight checkin trail cams and the birds were cacklin at dusk more so than usual. 96 degrees here today. Need to kill some skeeters with a good freeze. Leaves are droppin off the beans rapidly and the corn is turning brown too.

Crossed Sioux falls to Lake Andes today. Saw no combines but not alot that was ready for the takin. Flushed some good colored birds tonight checkin trail cams and the birds were cacklin at dusk more so than usual. 96 degrees here today. Need to kill some skeeters with a good freeze. Leaves are droppin off the beans rapidly and the corn is turning brown too.

Rolled back through on Monday and saw the first corn fields coming out (grain harvest) and also some combines taking beans out.

It is a very dry pattern and it should put corn and beans at the same moisture level so they could be harvested at the same time.

If the weather cooperates all soybeans in state can be out in two weeks and corn in another two weeks. That is absolute best case scenario.

Father in law is picking beans in SE SD. Friends have also been going for a few days in NE SD. Guys have been picking beans in central SD for almost 2 weeks. Have seen corn, flowers and milo all being harvested here and there as well in central SD

Over a thousand acres of milo cut comments by combine operators were a few birds in some areas of fields but incredible numbers of birds in other areas!!!! Should be fun hunting!!!

Over a thousand acres of milo cut comments by combine operators were a few birds in some areas of fields but incredible numbers of birds in other areas!!!! Should be fun hunting!!!

Any of idea what part of SD ? General area not looking for town or county even...

Can't give you the location other than it is in SD but it is my land and like others
that bit the bullet a number of years ago I borrowed all the money the bank would give me in a risky gamble which almost has gotten me kicked out of the house. I gave a bunch of my life and worked hard then I turned the good farm ground into great farmland and the marginal stuff is all nesting and cover with ponds built for water.

Can't give you the location other than it is in SD but it is my land and like others
that bit the bullet a number of years ago I borrowed all the money the bank would give me in a risky gamble which almost has gotten me kicked out of the house. I gave a bunch of my life and worked hard then I turned the good farm ground into great farmland and the marginal stuff is all nesting and cover with ponds built for water.

Great info thanks much... Happy hunting...

I just looked at the state data and looks like 12% of the corn is out and 40% of the beans and harvest progress is very similar to last year.

If that is the case I also looked back to last year and in two weeks time then 90% of the beans would be out (by opener) and about 40% of the corn.

Was about the end of the first week in Nov till about 90% of the corn was out. Should be similar this year.

Looks to be a little ahead here in Jim River corridor. I have been visiting about a dozen farms this past week throughout several counties. Most will be done with beans in a week or so. Two have finished & started on corn. So by opener a good many crops will be out. Now the bad news. Only one farmer reports seeing about as many birds as last year. Consensus among the others is birds are definitely down this year. Most seem to think down more than the 20% the state says. Most guess 30-50%. Kinda shocking. Did have some CRP emergency haying due to drought, which really hurts. Ground by my house where I run dogs daily, not seeing near birds I saw last couple years. One nice field was half hayed off & due to drought a couple good sloughs have been mowed down. My go to guy, the local trapper, whose out early mornings reports seeing less birds along with my next door neighbor who is a rural mail carrier south of Aberdeen. Despite all that, a couple years ago state says birds were down 42% and I had a great season. Like Chris said, if you have habitat ( and maybe water this year) you will have birds. Go after 'em, can't kill 'me on the couch!

This year really looked promising after such a large carry over population and mild winter. I wonder what happend? The guys that hunt the first 2 weekends and late season will do ok but midseason and the public land / ditch hunter is going to struggle. I've talked to enough sources like gps above and it looks like the state got it right. 20% down and even more in some areas. Too bad.

Back