2011 Colorado Speedgoats

winchester21

Thought I ought to post some shots of the recent CPW Ranching for Wildlife (Silver Spur Ranch) hunt, out of Walden. Dad and I cashed in 15 years of preference points for a Colorado pronghorn hunt and had an absolute blast in North Park!

We tried to go into the hunt with out any expectations (well, maybe a few) and everything that is needed for a quality hunt was found. Numerous trophy bucks resided on the ranch and seeing as we were the only two hunters with buck tags, time was on our side. We took advantage of the beautiful, albeit hot, early season weather and scouted several bucks. Lots of time behind the glass and plenty of cross-hair horn examinations led to these two bucks.

BlueBijou, you were right about the mass up there. The lack of distinct height coupled with noticeable mass on some animals made glassing downright frustrating especially with heat waves. After so long, they all began to look the same! I finally made a decision and put the stalk on one lone buck that I’d spotted the night before. He was on slight plateau and the only way to get on him was from below. Everything worked out in my favor Shot him with a loaned Lazzeroni 7.82 Warbird (shooting some custom made 150 grainer) at 300 yds, which didn’t come near the rifle’s capability. Talk about a flat shooting rifle!!

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

Really nice pair of bucks. I hope you field dressed the quick, I can see the sage swelling the gut on one now! Lots of chili meat. Once in a lifetime hunt and a cherished family outing, the stuff you'll remember all your life. Now you guys can start accumulating points all over again.

Congrats, a couple very nice bucks. I saved my Preference points this year because I figured winter kill from the 6-8 feet of snow in the sage I saw when going ice fishing. Good job!! :10sign:

Really nice pair of bucks. I hope you field dressed the quick, I can see the sage swelling the gut on one now! Lots of chili meat. Once in a lifetime hunt and a cherished family outing, the stuff you'll remember all your life. Now you guys can start accumulating points all over again.

It was hot but fortunately we were able to get them both dressed and cooled down quickly. They were both VERY fat. So far the tenderloins and backstraps have been delicious!

Outstanding Goats!!! Beautiful pic's and the snow is going to stay until next year!!!! Good shootin' and thanks for sharing!!! 15 years is a long time to wait!!! Glad you got your Dad out!!!!:10sign::10sign::10sign:

Nice bucks Winchester. I love North Park. What part of the park did you take your bucks at? I hunted the Silver Spur for cow elk one year. They've got a nice setup.

We were hunting the Hill Ranch property in the NW corner of the park. Just north of Lake John. I glassed some other Spur ground but it didn't have near the quality of animals as that section. Saw lots of Sage Grouse, made me want to head back up there!

Nice. I'm familar with the area. Yeah, i've seen sage grouse up there as well. i'd love to give hunting them a go; I'm just not sure I can fit it in this year.

Win 21, what bullet were you shooting with that cannon? 7.82 Lazz is comparible to my 30-378 Weatherby and I shoot 180 Barnes Tripple Shocks!!! It is Flat!! 150's should be the same hold out past 300 with a 100 yd sight in!!! Maybe out to 400!!!! I know I use the same cross hair on my scope for 100-300 yd shots!!! On my 7mm ultra with 140 gr. TTS, 100- 400 is the same cross hair with a 1 1/2 inch high at a 100 yds. Very flat and devastating gun!!! My buddy borrowed the 7 ultra last year for Grizz up in AK. The Guide said it was not enough Bullet until he knocked that Grizz off his feet!!!! I could look at that photo with the hills in the backdrop all day!!! Bleu:cheers:

Thanks for all the compliments, fellas!

Bleu- How come you got so many cool toys!?!? I would love a 30-378 Wthby.
The round I was using was a Lazzeroni LazerHead 150 handload @ about 3750 fps. http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_lazerhead.htm

My Dad's cousin asked me if I wanted to take it on the hunt to see how it performed off the range. Of course I obliged! It was set up for dead on at 300 but it's basically aim & shoot out to 400. Sweet round if you ask me!

Thanks for all the compliments, fellas!

Bleu- How come you got so many cool toys!?!? I would love a 30-378 Wthby.
The round I was using was a Lazzeroni LazerHead 150 handload @ about 3750 fps. http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_lazerhead.htm

My Dad's cousin asked me if I wanted to take it on the hunt to see how it performed off the range. Of course I obliged! It was set up for dead on at 300 but it's basically aim & shoot out to 400. Sweet round if you ask me!

I don't have a lot of toys, but the ones I have I really enjoy shooting! I picked up a wildcat 30-8mm 35 degree angle improved with a Christensen Arms Barrel and brake on a Weatherby frame and action . Had a chamber cast done to exacty figure out what it was and so I could get dies made. Plan on shooting 168 gr. Barnes TTS through it. Should be fun!!! No reloading data, so I get to play a little bit to figure it out!:cheers:

Back