20 Gauge Ammo

winchester21

Hi everyone- I've shot roosters with a 16 and 12 for ages but just last year I picked a really nice A-5 20 (that I probably shouldn't even be hunting with) and have been absolutely loving it. I've always been a fan of using the most powerful loads possible because our Colorado birds seem to really take a beating. Anyhow, I was just in Bass Pro the other day and picked up a box of Remington's Nitro Pheasant 3 inch 6's. While these are labeled magnum, aside from the ounce and a quarter payload, they are not. They only have a muzzle velocity of 1185 which seems puny to me and I am beginning to wonder if there is any reason to use 3 inch loads because of the reduced velocities. I would love a 3 inch load with 1300 at the barrel, any one know of any in existence?

Don't know of any lead, but this year I am using Federal and Winchester 3" #4 steel 1oz at 1350FPS and 7/8oz at 1500FPS works real well on ducks and upland which most of my hunting is preserve works well on the birds also.

Yeah, I've seen those steel loads but I wound enough birds as it is and without a dog right now I would hate to lose anymore.

I shoot 2 3/4 Winchester Supremes or Federal Premiums in 5 shot. Seems to work alright. I never shoot 3in.

20 ga.

I have used both the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in 3" #5 @ 1200 fps and the Winchester Super Pheasant 3", #5 @ 1250 fps with good results from my Benelli M1. They aren't fast like the steel loads, but they don't need to be with the density of lead.
I do shoot plenty of steel #2 for mallards and decoys geese with great success. I find it hard to drag my 12 ga out anymore. Shooting the 20 is gettin' er done!

I have used both the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in 3" #5 @ 1200 fps and the Winchester Super Pheasant 3", #5 @ 1250 fps with good results from my Benelli M1. They aren't fast like the steel loads, but they don't need to be with the density of lead.
I do shoot plenty of steel #2 for mallards and decoys geese with great success. I find it hard to drag my 12 ga out anymore. Shooting the 20 is gettin' er done!

I just ordered some of these exact shells via the internet for my 20 O/U. What Choke(s) do you prefer to use?

Why the full choke? I use a IC with a fair amount of success.

I shoot nothing but a 20 gauge all year long, unless I'm hunting chukar (wild) along the snake river or geese. I shoot Federal 3" in #4 & #6 shot, copper-plated with a 3 dram eq. Federal does not list a fps on their box like Fiocchi does but Fiocchi does not list an exact dram, they only state "max". Anyway I use a Improved Cylinder choke about 95% of the time and have no problem killing roosters stone dead at 40 yds. In my opinion the fps is not as important as a good concentrated pattern (which helps with copper-plated shot, no stray flyers and extra shot using 3"). Really all it takes is learning the right lead to match the load you are using. Anyway 20 gauges RULE! :D

The bottom line on the whole choke and shell issue is what patterns best at what range you think you will be shooting most birds at. Buy a couple different boxes and see what works best in your gun. For me shooting a 1187 20ga special field Win Sup or fed Prem in #5 with a IC choke works best.

Niceshot pick up any 20 gauge in your right hand and a 12 gauge in your left, you'll have your answer.

20thunderjet I hope your not married, because I don't want to get in trouble from your wife by talking you in to spending some moldy money on a new shotgun but there are several beautiful 12 gauge shotguns that weigh less than your typical 20 gauge. Beretta 12 ga O/U Ultralight 5.95 lbs, Benelli 12 ga Ultralight autoloader 6.0 lbs, and a Caesar Guerini O/U Ultralight 5 lbs 14 oz. Bob Brister and others have written entire books on square loads and shot strings but suffice it say the 3" 20 gauge is the worst of both worlds.

Lets be fair now. In all of the guns you listed the 20ga version is at least 1/2 pound less. Granted not a big deal, but neither is having a longer shot string that moves your pattern center 4-6 in at 40 yards. Besides I like a longer shot string. That way when I over lead the birds the longer shot string makes up for it.

Lets be fair now. In all of the guns you listed the 20ga version is at least 1/2 pound less. Granted not a big deal, but neither is having a longer shot string that moves your pattern center 4-6 in at 40 yards. Besides I like a longer shot string. That way when I over lead the birds the longer shot string makes up for it.

moellermd, I will play fair if you will be honest. Of the dozens and dozens of roosters that you have "knocked down" with your 20 gauge this season have you and your excellent dogs lost any cripples? and if so how many?
and as an aside do you believe that you "over lead" many roosters. I would politely suggest that of the thousands and thousands of pheasants missed each season the vast majority are missed behind and/or beneath.
I hope all of you know I think this is great fun, and if I ever sound to serious, please give me the business.
moellermd, wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas.

NICESHOT, I am glad we are both having fun, but I need to correct you on two points. I do not "knock down" birds when I shoot I always kill them stone dead. Also, my dogs are not "excellent" they are outstanding. Now that we have that straightened out. I can think of 3 birds I did not find this season. Was it the 20ga fault? Probably not. More than likely it was the guy pulling the trigger. I do have runners every now and then but the dogs seems to clean them up for me. I am aware that most misses are behind the bird. My point is that with modern loads and hardened shot, copper, nickle, or steel, shot string and square patterns are not the problem they might have been. Have a great Christmas also.

By the way, Niceshot, do you ever check your PM or are you avoiding me.

This argument about shotstring has been going on a longtime. One " myth" to consider re the 3" 20 is that if it has no validity, neither does the 3.5 12 or the 3 for that matter. When was 2.75 deemed to be the best in all guages?
I do not have all the answers, but I do go to the 3" 20 sometimes late in the season in a 20 ga auto I use because I can shoot the single trigger with gloves on and it is gas operated and only digests 3" shells. A GOOD shot has an advantage with the longer shot string, particularly with an ic choke, in my humble opinion.
Otherwise, I am usually carrying a sxs 20 with 1oz loads, double triggers, and letting the Puds get a little extra training and work on the occasional bird that managed to avoid getting more than a wing broke;) ;) .
________
Nevada medical marijuana dispensaries

Last edited:
20 guage pheasant loads

Hi everyone- I've shot roosters with a 16 and 12 for ages but just last year I picked a really nice A-5 20 (that I probably shouldn't even be hunting with) and have been absolutely loving it. I've always been a fan of using the most powerful loads possible because our Colorado birds seem to really take a beating. Anyhow, I was just in Bass Pro the other day and picked up a box of Remington's Nitro Pheasant 3 inch 6's. While these are labeled magnum, aside from the ounce and a quarter payload, they are not. They only have a muzzle velocity of 1185 which seems puny to me and I am beginning to wonder if there is any reason to use 3 inch loads because of the reduced velocities. I would love a 3 inch load with 1300 at the barrel, any one know of any in existence?

I recommend that you shoot a 3" no. 4 shot with that 20 guage to knock down pheasants.

Back