20 ga. --- 3" Magnum or not

JMc

Super Moderator
So I've come to the conclusion that with the exception of my Browning Sweet 16, that I shoot my over and under 20's better than anything else. After years of hunts, I have the can of cast off shells and usually grab what's available. But...for those of you who shoot 20's at pheasants; do you go with 3" mags or stick with 2 3/4? I'm not trying to get in a brand or shot size conversation. Just talking overall power here. What do you guys think?

2 3/4 inch, 1oz, 5 or 6 size shot. If nontoxic shot needed, Tungsten matrix same size shot
Gun is a Win 101, imp cylinder and modified.
Hunt over pointing dog. Most shots are close to medium range, not usually more than 35 yards.

FIW--

I use 3'' --either fiocci-federal copper--or B and P's almost always 6 or 5's
Just always have --even in light doubles
Maybe I started that way and have always been happy with results/performance. JMHO:cheers:

Used Xpert 3" 20 gauge steel #4 one season. 17 out of 18 on roosters. Lost one wounded. What I liked most was the meat was usually in great shape. Powerful enough to put them on the ground without many pellets getting into the breast

For me 2 3/4 lead is my first choice for upland hunting 1 oz of 5 or 6's , if I have to use non- toxic switch to # 3 steel one Ounce . I love my 20's to !!!

When shooting lead, a 20ga 1 oz load of #6 or #5 should take care of anything inside of 40 yards. That said, I usually reload 20ga 2 3/4" 1 oz of #6 lead (Blue Dot load) and 20ga 3" 1 1/8 oz (Blue Dot load) of #5 lead for my pheasant shooting. If I have time, I load a #6 load in my first open barrel and a #5 in my second tighter barrel.

When I'm using nontoxic, I go with a 20ga 3" 1 oz load of #3 or #2 steel (see Roster lethality study) or some older Rem Wingmaster High Density 20ga 1 1/8 oz #6 loads I have.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how they perform, in my gun anyway!

Numbers from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 2 3/4" RELOAD
1 oz #6 lead (233 pellets) 1,200 fps
30 YARDS – SK / pattern 147 (63%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 163 (70%)

20 GA 2 3/4" REM PHEASANT LOAD
1 oz #5 lead (177 pellets) 1,220 fps
30 YARDS – SK / pattern 104 (59%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 109 (62%)

20 GA 3" RELOAD
1 1/8 oz #5 lead (190 pellets) 1,200 fps
30 YARDS – SK / pattern 127 (67%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 122 (64%)

20 GA 3" WINCHESTER DRYLOK STEEL LOAD
1 oz #3 steel (145 pellets) @ 1,330 fps
30 YARDS – SK / pattern 114 (78%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 106 (73%)

20 GA 3" REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL LOAD
1 oz #2 steel (118 pellets) @ 1,330 fps
30 YARDS – SK / pattern 101 (86%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 99 (84%)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Best to see what patterns best in your gun. You might find that 2 3/4" actually pattern better than 3". Because of the long shot string in 3" 20 ga. shells some guns do not pattern them well. Every gun is different.

2 3/4" 1oz 5 or 6.....the same load that I shot my 1st 5 gobblers with as a kid before I went to a 3" 12ga because I was told that a 2 3/4" 20 wouldn't kill a turkey. Kids are so gullible...........:D

I bought a Stevens 555 O/U in 20 ga. not long ago. I still have to pattern it and see what shoots best. My gut feeling says 2 3/4" # 6's with improved cyl. for top barrel and 2 3/4" #5's w/modified for bottom barrel. Maybe 6's in both? Time will tell and I will pattern it first. So with that being said...

Tagged.

Mostly, I think it comes down to personal experience and common sense.

My most recent jump-shooting ducks in the crik was productive with 2 3/4 steel 6s in the imp cyl barrel and 3 in number 4s in the modified one. Two much shell in a close-flushing duck shot ends up with neither the hunter nor the duck very happy.

Really, though, I don't often shoot 3 inch when pheasant hunting.View attachment 7482

I bought a Stevens 555 O/U in 20 ga. not long ago. I still have to pattern it and see what shoots best. My gut feeling says 2 3/4" # 6's with improved cyl. for top barrel and 2 3/4" #5's w/modified for bottom barrel. Maybe 6's in both? Time will tell and I will pattern it first. So with that being said...

Tagged.

All other things being equal, there's not a significant difference between 5's & 6's in either pattern density or the amount they can destroy flesh. But if you're out there past 35 yards, particularly on going-away birds, 6's have a tough time penetrating. Go with 5's in both barrels (assuming you're talking about lead shot or something roughly as dense) if you think longer shots are likely. Close birds......6's are fine. I'd only go w/ different shot sizes if I was really sure most of my first shots were going to be pretty close. All depends on type of birds (wild/planted) & type of dog (flusher/pointer/experienced/novice). I'm a one barrel, one choke, one load type of guy. My brain can't afford to be cluttered up with that stuff when it's trying to tell me when to pull the trigger.

All other things being equal, there's not a significant difference between 5's & 6's in either pattern density or the amount they can destroy flesh. But if you're out there past 35 yards, particularly on going-away birds, 6's have a tough time penetrating. Go with 5's in both barrels (assuming you're talking about lead shot or something roughly as dense) if you think longer shots are likely. Close birds......6's are fine. I'd only go w/ different shot sizes if I was really sure most of my first shots were going to be pretty close. All depends on type of birds (wild/planted) & type of dog (flusher/pointer/experienced/novice). I'm a one barrel, one choke, one load type of guy. My brain can't afford to be cluttered up with that stuff when it's trying to tell me when to pull the trigger.

I agree about the shot size but I think the better shells makes a huge difference

NOT.

20ga O/U is a lightweight gun and 3" magnums do a heck of a job on the shoulder. Plus I don't think they really offer anymore knockdown power for a cackle bird over a 2 3/4" 5 shot which I have dropped hundreds with over the years.

Ducks maybe, but not for pheasants.

Best to see what patterns best in your gun. You might find that 2 3/4" actually pattern better than 3". Because of the long shot string in 3" 20 ga. shells some guns do not pattern them well. Every gun is different.

Took your advice and patterned all my O/U's with 2 3/4 and 3"...WOW...the 2 3/4 does pattern much better than the 3". Thanks for the input.
Jim

What was the difference? What yardage? Assume more in a circle at yd? Did you notice any change in the recoil?

Thanks

I patterned at 25 yds. Better coverage in a 30" circle with the 2/34 although the 3" had a tighter pattern by about 4 inches. Not much recoil difference but some. I shot a SKB 500, Browning Citori Field, Browning Cynergy Field, and a Browning Cynergy Feather. The latter (Feather) has felt recoil regardless of what you shoot but it's a dream to carry in the field.

Back