1st Lesser Prairie Chicken Brood

M. R. Byrd

Saw my first brood of the season today. Don't know how many she had in the grass as I only saw one go into the grass. I do have some video of her talking to her brood on my new iPhone 6. If I can figure out how to get it on here I will. The video is 2:50 and too big to email, the phone says.

Thanks. I try my best. The extended drought of the past years left me with a horrible helpless felling. This year's heavy rainfall in May seems to really be the ticket. It produced excellent early growth of the grasses and forbs and also benefited the winter wheat. The winter wheat harvest was generally very good and at a normal time. The nesting conditions this spring were excellent and what brood stock was here has done a very good job of reproducing.

That's a nice clip Maynard! She was pretty darn tolerant of you! Nice and green there!

I got within about 30 feet of her. The chicks(I assume, as I only saw one) were likely within five feet of me, just over the rim of the canyon and in grass about four foot tall. I left after she flew off, but about five minutes later on my way back by, she was walking back to where she left the brood. The chick I saw was about the size of a meadowlark.

It is possible that I am the first human the hen had ever seen as it is pretty quiet up that way.

Very nice! Glad you figured the phone out!!! Hopefully we will get to see some more video's now!!!:thumbsup::cheers:

Yes it is. The wind was adding some background noise so audio isn't as clear as I hoped.

Maynard and Troy, I saw that a Federal judge in Texas removed the endangered listing of the LPC. Is there a chance now to hunt them yet this season or not?

The seasons and regulations for this year's seasons has been set. To change that would take several months of work-shopping that through 2-3 commission meetings, etc. With USFWS planning to appeal, that would probably not be recommended. Short answer, probably no.

The seasons and regulations for this year's seasons has been set. To change that would take several months of work-shopping that through 2-3 commission meetings, etc. With USFWS planning to appeal, that would probably not be recommended. Short answer, probably no.

Thank you Troy! Hopeful for next year!!:cheers:

Back