16 ga Winchester Model 12

Now it's da jevu all over again. In 1974 I bought a Model 12 16ga and refinished the wood with Birchwood Casey product. Sold it and made good $ but would be nice to have.

Now it's da jevu all over again. In 1974 I bought a Model 12 16ga and refinished the wood with Birchwood Casey product. Sold it and made good $ but would be nice to have.

So Buck, is that 16 ga. Model 12 I posted the pics of a good buy at $600?

Last edited:
16 ga

don't think there is any such thing as a nice light mod. 12 in any guage. the are heavy pure and simple, dependable, pretty much but mostly just about average, 16 ga. raises the value somewhat, a full choke just about kills it and the worst thing about the gun is that the safety is in the wrong place, it kills your index finder. if you are thinking nice and light, go with a smaller guage sxs and have some fun, anyway

cheers

oh musti, I guess a guy can pick apart anything if you set your mind to it. I don't think the 16 ga. Model 12's are as heavy as you think. I'm getting some weights from some owners on another site. But it's not about the weight or where the safety is located. It's a nostalgic thing. One of my first shotguns 50+ years ago was a Model 12 16 ga. Thought one might be a nice compliment to my Sweet Sixteen.

Zeb;

I have M12 in sixteen. Not as nice of shape as the one you're looking at, but reasonably close. Paid $500 for it eight or nine years ago. Nicest-handling gun in my safe.

Life is short. Buy the gun.

oh musti, I guess a guy can pick apart anything if you set your mind to it. I don't think the 16 ga. Model 12's are as heavy as you think. I'm getting some weights from some owners on another site. But it's not about the weight or where the safety is located. It's a nostalgic thing. One of my first shotguns 50+ years ago was a Model 12 16 ga. Thought one might be a nice compliment to my Sweet Sixteen.

I didn't pick the gun apart, just stated some truths, in the past I owned a mod. 12 duck gun and a model 1912 in 20 ga. a couple of years ago a friend loaned me his model 42, same gun, just made in the 410 caliber. the gun was as new and also had the orig. win. rib on it, a pretty pricey toy. took it to the field, shot 3 for 4 on roosters with the thing and all my memories came back and it was my index finger that was hurting. a very nice treat non the less and a very nice piece of firearm history

cheers

Zeb;

I have M12 in sixteen. Not as nice of shape as the one you're looking at, but reasonably close. Paid $500 for it eight or nine years ago. Nicest-handling gun in my safe.

Life is short. Buy the gun.

Hey Craig, how's it going? I think I have the gun bought for $600. Hopefully firm it up tomorrow. Any idea what your gun weighs? I thought somewhere they were in the 6.5 lb. range. If the seller isn't pulling my leg and the gun is 100% original I think I'm buying it right at $600.

mod 12 16 ga.

citing madis in his Winchester book, the mod. 12 in 16 ga was 6 lbs. 9 oz. variances for wood density. the 12 came in at 7 lbs. 5 oz. that is a good reference point, don't know what others are coming in at.

cheers

citing madis in his Winchester book, the mod. 12 in 16 ga was 6 lbs. 9 oz. variances for wood density. the 12 came in at 7 lbs. 5 oz. that is a good reference point, don't know what others are coming in at.

cheers

That's what I was thinking was about 6.5 lbs. give or take an once or two. To me, that's a fairly light field gun. Lighter than my Sweet Sixteen or my 16 ga. Citori that are both a tad over 7 lbs. I won't use the Model 12 in the field that much as I'm still in love with my Sweet Sixteen. :)

My dad has shot one for years, my brother took it out last year on opening day, I made several smart comments about the gun and watched my brother go Bakersfield chimp with that thing. I foolishly made the claim I didn't want any of dads guns but there is something about that gun in that gauge that make them a pretty sought after item, my brother was using the same m12 16 gauge this year with similar results.

I remember the one I had as a youth and probably the biggest negative on the Model 12 is that if you don't release the trigger and pump another round into the chamber it will fire the next round. I still remember that happening to me a couple of times. Surprised the crap out of me. Could be somewhat of a safety issue.

I remember the one I had as a youth and probably the biggest negative on the Model 12 is that if you don't release the trigger and pump another round into the chamber it will fire the next round. I still remember that happening to me a couple of times. Surprised the crap out of me. Could be somewhat of a safety issue.

Hey George I tried the BP shells in the 2 9/16 model 12 and they work great. I paid about a thousand several years ago for my other model 12 16. I probably paid too much but I have no regrets.

that trigger feature I remember. as a kid my dad always took me to the county fairs and someone from win. peters etc were always there with their shooting show, one of the deals was that they could shoot the mod. 12 pump faster than an auto loader could function and still hit something. not sure about the safety thing

cheers

I got it bought and hopefully by Friday I will have it in my hands. The gun was in Tacoma, WA and I found out a little history about the gun. It was manufactured in 1954. The owner bought it new back in the 50's when he was a teenager and apparently rarely, if ever, used the gun. It's been a closest queen. So if it's as nice as the pics appear I think I got a heck of a good deal. Can't wait until it takes down it's first SD rooster. :)

Winchester model 1897 and Ithaca model 37 do the same thing, on purpose, I believe. My Ithaca came from a police department, and it was touted as a positive feature by them. Might have been a military function.

dunno.

Dang, the seller didn't get the Model 12 sent Monday as promised so it didn't show yesterday. According to UPS it arrived here in Watertown today but won't be delivered until Monday. I'm leaving tomorrow for a hunt in the Gettysburg area and won't be home until late Tuesday at the earliest. I was hoping to have it for this hunt. :(

Dang, the seller didn't get the Model 12 sent Monday as promised so it didn't show yesterday. According to UPS it arrived here in Watertown today but won't be delivered until Monday. I'm leaving tomorrow for a hunt in the Gettysburg area and won't be home until late Tuesday at the earliest. I was hoping to have it for this hunt. :(

bummer, just when ya got it figured out ya get bit. sure both of you will keep, have a great hunt anyway

cheers

Picked up my Model 12 16 ga. this afternoon when I returned home. It's pretty nice. Certainly all original but in great condition. The bluing it excellent and the wood has some marks but nothing big. Plan to get it into the field this week. I haven't shot a pump in the past 20-25 years so I'll have to get use to that again. But hey, only takes one shot anyway, right?

Back