12ga. Remington 1100 too heavy?

Get the 1100 and go hunting. Take an extra gun too. If you find the Remington too heavy for all day hunting, grab a lighter gun to finish up. I take more than one gun when I head out because I have a hard time deciding which to use. No reason to limit yourself.

I use an 1187 premier a lot in late season, hunting in snow in montana. Ic seems to work best. It does get a little heavy, but it has good range.I also use a 20 gauge 1187 field gun, on private land, ic, or mod, 3 inch lead loads usually. It's light! Nice field gun, with good fire power
Speaking of heavy guns, I may take the a-5 mag, 30 inch goose cannon out soon.Late season , it's heavy, but its classic, old school.It was made in the 20's.Just hit it with some wd-40, and ITS ON!!@ I may load some heavy goose loads in it from the 1970's.Late season roosters in montana, are very educated, and SMART!!

Get the 1100 and go hunting. Take an extra gun too. If you find the Remington too heavy for all day hunting, grab a lighter gun to finish up. I take more than one gun when I head out because I have a hard time deciding which to use. No reason to limit yourself.

I already have a L.H. 12ga. 1100. I also have a 12ga. L.H. Benelli Montefeltro that I have been using for the last 3 yrs. along with a 16ga. Citori. I always take 2 or 3 guns when I go to S.D. every year. I used a L.H. 12ga. 1100 a LONG time ago( probably in my early 30')s when I first started hunting upland game. The weight didn't bother me then but I am now approaching 66 yrs. old and am in nowhere near the shape I was in when I was in my 30's. I may take your advice and include the 1100 this year.

I already have a L.H. 12ga. 1100. I also have a 12ga. L.H. Benelli Montefeltro that I have been using for the last 3 yrs. along with a 16ga. Citori. I always take 2 or 3 guns when I go to S.D. every year. I used a L.H. 12ga. 1100 a LONG time ago( probably in my early 30')s when I first started hunting upland game. The weight didn't bother me then but I am now approaching 66 yrs. old and am in nowhere near the shape I was in when I was in my 30's. I may take your advice and include the 1100 this year.
I like to have 5 magnum rounds to unleash in December. The 1100, the 1187 are capable of serious fire power. I like both, although they are heavy.

Now you’re talking my language! I love my Montefeltro. If it had been my first gun, I may never have needed any others.

I personally consider an 1100 to be to heavy to hunt with all day at least for me. I prefer a lighter gun for an all day hunt.

If you want to make fun of me go ahead. You can say that I am in touch with my feminine side.

BTW: She happens to be a lesbian.

I have several in both 12 and 20 They are awesome guns,also great looking.
The 12 is a great gun if your driving and posting .If your posting no problem to stand and wait .If your driving and the drive is maybe an hour (most are shorter) again no problem.You can do several drives a day.But if your walking all day thru brush and Swales with gun at ready,My vote is no thks.
I've hunted with guys who have carried them all day,half the time the gun was NOT at the ready.

Years ago, my 11-87 was perfect (have a 1100 also). Now that I am older and “wiser”, it’s too heavy. I think most of the problem is in my head.

Funny this thread is the first one I read this morning. My dad bought an 1100 in 1968 or so with a modified barrel and later added a skeet barrel. I shot that gun all thru my youth shooting trap and hunting Hungarians and pheasants in SW Minn. It was also the gun he was carrying when he passed away in 1973. I was 15 at the time, (almost 62 now) and that event pretty much ended most of my shooting until I got married and established on my own. This 1100 has been residing in my safe for the better part of 40 years.

Our local home builders association organized a trap shooting event instead of the standard fall golf outing and I signed up to go. Rifling thru the safe yesterday afternoon, this gun kept whispering from its corner, "take me, take me ,please. So I dug it out. What I probably should have done for the practice, was to take my 686 OU 20 gauge, (which is lighter. Lol). But I took the 1100 with the modified bbl. I have not shot a round of organized trap in almost 45 years, but the gun felt just as good last night as when I was shooting competitively as a 13 year old kid. First round I broke 22. Second round I broke 20, for which I was damn happy with. I'm also quite sure there was someone looking over my shoulder, and I think I heard. "Nice job kid!"

Last edited:
Something about 1100s they just feel good and come up good
I was on a skeet team 45 years ago in the first Cav and we shot 1100s I could really shoot them well

If I was going to take one pheasant hunting I would put a sling on it and could still slay a lot of pheasants I bet

The weight never bothered me much until I was about 60. After that I really started to fall apart and lose strength in my arms, hands and legs, along with back issues. I lightened up wherever I could. My clothes, boots, gun, and vest have all changed. I had to change it up in order to stay out there. It was worth it. For me, every pound made a difference. Game belt, very lightweight layers, Keen Targhee II boots, bul in 12 and 20. Not my first choices, but it had to be. Not that easy to sell the Wingworks vest and the Cynergy OU 12ga. I really liked those things. I could either watch the hunt on tv or adjust. Packers over the Lions tonight, 21-10.

Maybe go with fewer hunters....you won't have any "all day" hunts if you only need 1 or 2 limits....the weight of the gun won't make much difference. If your legs will allow you to troump through cover all day, guessing your arms can carry the 1100 just fine.

I was struggling with my light sxs early this season and had to switch to the 1100 that my father bought for my grandfather in the '80s. Made a world of difference, that gun mounts right and the modified choke patterns perfectly. Knocks the crap outta pheasants.

My nephew shoots an old 1100 and is a crack shot. Doesn't seem to mind carrying the heavy gun...

Back