12 ga. or 20 ga for pheasant?

• 12 ga.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • 20 ga.

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Stay home and watch TV

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
When I was first starting out back in the 60s, the old days of fixed chokes and comparatively limited ammunition choices, the 28s and 20s were the "quail guns", 16s were "pheasant guns" and 12s were the "duck guns". Or so the discussion went.

For the well to do, it was like having a bag of golf clubs. You pick the right club for the job at the moment. They had multiple shotguns and (depending on the gun) multiple barrels so they could change choke if necessary. For the poor folk (me), if you were going to hunt all three you just got a 12; it could do it all. I did have a spare barrel for my Winchester 1200 pump 12; I had IC and MOD. La-dee-da! eh?

Nowadays the changes in ammunition alone blur the lines. 20s can throw shot charges that decades ago you could only get in 12 ammunition. Shot shape (Black Cloud!), material (Hevi-Shot!), buffering...all ammunition variables that change the capability of a particular gauge. No need for extra barrels; we just change our screw in chokes.

For me, at this stage, I have a safe full of various 12s and 20s. I could have 16s (and there are some nice 16s out there that I have cast my eye upon) and 28s and 410s if I wanted. But just keeping stocked with the various ammo for 12s and 20s is enough of challenge in these times.

Probably overall weight has more to do with what comes out of the safe when hunting. I tend towards lighter guns these days = 20s. But when the pheasants get wild and the ranges get longer, the 12s come out of the case. To the "spare gun" thread, I take 3 shotguns to SD; 2 20s and a 12.

Clay bird games, I take and use both; weight is not an issue.

YMMV.

I remember the fixed chokes of years ago.My first gun was a Ithica featherweight 20 gauge, full choke. Then I went to an old a5, 30 inch full.That gun really reached out.Goose gun, and heavy, but awesome gun. Dropped it in the Missouri at 10 below, it was all iced up, and still dropped 2 honkers.Yep, the invincible A5 Belgian from the 30s.One time I blew the head clean off a bird with that A5. Then I went to a beretta silver pigeon 686.Nice gun, spendy, and I missed 5 shot capability. I went to a 1187 premiere 12 gauge, and liked that gun, shooting IC. Then I went to s 20 guage 1187 field gun.IC. Liked it for weight, and decent fire power. In summation, it depends on the conditions, but I use a 12 gauge 870SP the most in the last 20 years.

I used to hunt pheasant and quail exclusively with a 20ga O/U with 2 3/4 inch shells. Choked modified and full. That was back when we were dog-less and shots sometimes were longer. Now I have a seasoned Brittney about 11 years old. About 5 years ago I picked up a nice 28ga O/U and thought I would give it a try with light mod and improved modified and the first bird I shot I literally blew his back bone out. I was amazed and realized I was over-choked and have been shooting it on wild pheasant and quail out in Kansas since with improved cylinder and light modified. I realized if you put the bead on the bird and don't shoot 50 yards they drop just as hard as a 20 or a 12. #6 shot in the first barrel and #5 in the second. I don't mean to hijack this thread but I wanted to point out that if you practice on clays and hit the field with the right mind set and of course a great dog or two the 28ga is a magic wand!

run what you brung...or which ever you can hit with...I shoot a 12...

I will try a 20 in a few years when the 11-87 12 becomes too heavy....assuming my legs can still take it.

Back