11/16 hunt…

benelli-banger

3 hours, circumnavigated a WPA, 12,200 steps, 5.25 miles or so, 3 in the vest, one lost, several flew away that I hurled #5 Kent tungsten matrix at out of one of my Uggie boxlock 16’s…cold at first, just about right after 30 minutes…truck says 16, bet it’s 24? ☀️

3 hours, circumnavigated a WPA, 12,200 steps, 5.25 miles or so, 3 in the vest, one lost, several flew away that I hurled #5 Kent tungsten matrix at out of one of my Uggie boxlock 16’s…cold at first, just about right after 30 minutes…truck says 16, bet it’s 24? ☀️
I still have a few 10 ct. boxes of 1-1/4 oz. 16 ga. Kent TM #5s -- with a price tag of $16.99. They're just fine in a 6-3/4 lb. double.

Grasscicles gettinag any smaller?

I find it interesting how a person's fingers get cold, but then warm up after a while. It helps immensely if you shoot a rooster or 2.
While Kent T-M were the pinnacle of non-tox in 16 ga, if you run out & wonder what to try next, Kent bismuth #5 are good, but BOSS bismuth #4 seem to be even better. Out of my gun anyway. It's simple physics/ballistics & not surprising in the least, but WAY better penetration on longer shots. Food for thought. And for your 16 ga.

Yesterday was sporty!!! Strong winds, snow squalls intermittently, cold temps…but not that bad. I did have a golf glove on my left hand. 3 of us hunted pretty hard, had an hour lunch break and finished around 4:30. Felt great walking into the warm farmhouse!

I find it interesting how a person's fingers get cold, but then warm up after a while. It helps immensely if you shoot a rooster or 2.
While Kent T-M were the pinnacle of non-tox in 16 ga, if you run out & wonder what to try next, Kent bismuth #5 are good, but BOSS bismuth #4 seem to be even better. Out of my gun anyway. It's simple physics/ballistics & not surprising in the least, but WAY better penetration on longer shots. Food for thought. And for your 16 ga.
My fingers goes thru the frozen peg stage, once past that stage i generally have no problems. Yes shootingvor flushing birds does tend to warm me up sooner. I agree boss shells are excellent choices for nontox shells. Encasing in copper seem to help with penetratuon and fregmentation.

Home now, hunted an hour Tuesday followed by 4 full days; windy and cold, with some exceptions. Hunting was decent, 3 of us filled each day but Saturday when we were one shy. Bird #’s not great by any means, but hard hunting gets you opportunities. I did some terrible shooting Tuesday, and some very good shooting at times the rest of the time with some misses mixed in. Starting to fall in love with an older Uggie sidelock from 1957…12 gauge…fun stuff! Some great dog work…good pals…good food and drink! 🍺☀️🥳

Fun for sure…windy!!!!! Wore golf glove on left hand, ok with nothing on shooting hand. One of the guys wore heavy gloves and had issues, he only shot a couple birds. As always, the dogs are the stars!
Saturday??? You were able to wear a golf glove & no glove? And you lived to tell the story? Man, where I hunted, it was 18 degrees w/ a 35 mph wind. I imagine it was similar where you were. Your hands must be way tougher than mine. Or you've killed all the nerve endings by freezing them so many times.

You were able to wear a golf glove & no glove?
Lol that reminds me of a years ago in our deer hunting camp that NEVER wore gloves. He was a big guy and had hands the size of bear paws. Even when the temps were single digits with the wind blowing, he left camp for his stand in the darkness without any gloves. I asked him once "no gloves?" and he looked at me with and said "what for?"

Saturday??? You were able to wear a golf glove & no glove? And you lived to tell the story? Man, where I hunted, it was 18 degrees w/ a 35 mph wind. I imagine it was similar where you were. Your hands must be way tougher than mine. Or you've killed all the nerve endings by freezing them so many times.
My buddies were shocked that I wore the golf glove. I’ve hunted the past 29 years without ever wearing gloves, with the single golf glove as an exception a few times. Have hunted dozens of times below zero in wind. Nothing on my ears either…baseball cap. Hasn’t been an issue…👍

A buddy gave me a hand warmer device that you charge and turn on and keep in a pocket…I can’t figure out that stuff, like tv remotes…but when I’ve used it it is nice!!!! Keep the shooting hand in that pocket periodically. It’s ergonomically shaped to grip, almost like the part of the gunstock that you grasp…they should figure out how to heat that and the forearm!

Back