10 ga perhaps lil much

10ganya

Would a 10 ga be to much for phesant ? i never hunted them . but i have a h&r 10 ga new model with browning invector . got a ligh mod briley on the way . was wonderin if light steel shot loads would be acceptable ? . It doesnt kick as bad as people think now it is really loud . I cant decide yet but i thought about getting a wood, 30" barrel sp-10 next year .

Im New also ;)

here's a few picture of my main shotgun sb2 10 ga 23" barrel xfull choke
2.25 oz of #6 @ 20 yards 360 in a 10" circle

090910_11231.jpg

here the gun

IMG_20101016_2107201.jpg

I have a friend in South Dakota that carried his 10ga during late season. His party just flipped at how far he could bust a far flushing rooster. If you want to carry it..Carry it.

lots of time i hear 10 ga being used is goose or duck hunting. i havent seen anyone i know of use in field for pheasant hunting. most common i have seen are 20 ga, 12 ga shotguns. i have seen .410 but thats usually on a younger kid carrying.

It all depends on the load you use.
We have used the big 10's quite successfully on pheasants and small ducks with 1 1/8 oz of shot and low pressure handloads:)
DHT

I would guess with the proper loads the "Big 10" would do fine in the upland fields. I'm sure the reason you see few or none is the weight factor. Not too many that would want to tote an 8-10 lb. gun all day in the fields.

There are a lot better options than a 10 ga. for upland hunting.

Actually the Westley Richards bar in wood in the picture ( center) is lighter than the Pedersoli 12 gauge ( top) !
it is a joy to shoot and carry.:)
DHT

I suppose the 2 1/4 oz load that the OP posted the pattern of is probably a bit much.:D

Beautiful gun DHT! 1 1/8oz pushed from that big bore seems a better fit for pheasants.:cheers:

I suppose the 2 1/4 oz load that the OP posted the pattern of is probably a bit much.:D

Beautiful gun DHT! 1 1/8oz pushed from that big bore seems a better fit for pheasants.:cheers:
Oh yeah, and it patterns beautifully!:)
Low recoil, great balance, what's not to like?:D
I suppose one would have to let a pheasant get way out there when using
2 1/4oz loads for sure!!:eek:
DHT

I have an old box of 2 7/8" 10 ga loads, it was done but sadly unless you reload you cannot duplicate the performance now.

A downloaded 10 would be infinitley useful and save on dental work.

Would a 10 ga be to much for phesant ? i never hunted them . but i have a h&r 10 ga new model with browning invector . got a ligh mod briley on the way . was wonderin if light steel shot loads would be acceptable ? . It doesnt kick as bad as people think now it is really loud . I cant decide yet but i thought about getting a wood, 30" barrel sp-10 next year .

Im New also ;)

here's a few picture of my main shotgun sb2 10 ga 23" barrel xfull choke
2.25 oz of #6 @ 20 yards 360 in a 10" circle

090910_11231.jpg

here the gun

IMG_20101016_2107201.jpg

that pattern you showed tells the story, what ya gonna eat after you pick up the bird, if me, I'd go with an even more open choke and probably #4 or 5 shot, manly to cut down on the pattern density and chance of shredding the bird. do feel however, the gun is wrong for what ya want to do with it but then I am also a believer in using what ya got, enjoy

cheers

Back