10 Day Hunting Trip

guf54

I saw a thread like this on another forum and thought it would be good to see what people came up with on the subject here. If you had 10 days to take a bird hunting trip where would you go? Nothing specific just general areas. Would you hunt multiple species? Would you split the trip up and go to multiple places?

I would love to do an early October hunt in North Dakota or Montana for phez, sharptails, and huns.

The older I get the more a cast and blast appeals to me. You know, shoot until your shoulder hurts, pay a kid to run down all my birds and clean them, a little world class bass fishing in the afternoon. Back at the hacienda at 4 having cocktails before a big fresh seafood supper. No dogs to take care of. No sore legs. No gas station pizza!!

I generally hunt pheasants 30-35 times a season, on public land, in 1 quadrant of a 60-mile radius circle centered on my house. Described that way, it almost sounds boring. :LOL: But I love it & feel blessed to be able to do it. My dream 10-day hunt would probably be in January, on in-state public land, but outside that quadrant, staying in motels wherever the wind blew me that day. No wife. Nobody else but Ace. Looks like Jan. 1 is the last day of the prairie chicken/sharptail/partridge season, so I guess they get a pass. So one species only - the rooster ringneck pheasant.

Last edited:
The older I get the more a cast and blast appeals to me. You know, shoot until your shoulder hurts, pay a kid to run down all my birds and clean them, a little world class bass fishing in the afternoon. Back at the hacienda at 4 having cocktails before a big fresh seafood supper. No dogs to take care of. No sore legs. No gas station pizza!!
Mexico

If the sky's the limit. Argentina, dove Pheasant, waterfowl.
2nd NE Montana for pheasant, sharp-tail and waterfowl.

I think a Canadian Prairie Hunt for waterfowl would probably be my top choice.

Can you hunt ostrich in Africa? That would be interesting.

I think a Canadian Prairie Hunt for waterfowl would probably be my top choice.

Can you hunt ostrich in Africa? That would be interesting.
Northern Saskatchewan! Go on an outfitted hunt, pretty reasonable and a SH#t ton of birds!

I'll split into two 5 day trips. ND in October for huns, pheasants, sharpies (in that order). Then AZ/NM for desert quail in late January/October.

It's not bucket list, but one day of conservation-order light goose hunting would be fun, if I was on the "X". But I would pick either of the hunts above over it. Also a day of crane hunting would be a lot of fun. I'd like to form my own opinion on whether cranes are as good to eat as people say.

Interesting thought and idea. A couple of years ago I did a three state in one day hunt. Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota. If I had ten days I would try to shoot pheasants in as many states as I could. Probably start in Montana, then North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas and then try a few lesser know states to try and shoot a bird in maybe Oklahoma, Texas and Colorado. Pheasants in ten different states! Sounds like a bucket list kind of idea.

I
Interesting thought and idea. A couple of years ago I did a three state in one day hunt. Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota. If I had ten days I would try to shoot pheasants in as many states as I could. Probably start in Montana, then North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas and then try a few lesser know states to try and shoot a bird in maybe Oklahoma, Texas and Colorado. Pheasants in ten different states! Sounds like a bucket list kind of idea.
I like your list and have the same thing in mind… got my Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, and New Mexico for pheasant in the bag. Plan is to head north this year and see some new states come October.

You better hurry up for Texas, it’s fading fast!

Back