1 year old pup limping

Labradinger

Took the pup out for about 4 hours yesterday. When we loaded up at the last place, she was definitely tired but not limping. 15 minute drive home and she just kinda looked stiff walking i to the house. After being in the house s bit, she would put no weight on one front paw and ran on 3 legs the rest of the night. Her “knee” seemed slightly swollen.
This morning she will walk on it at least. Was really hoping to hunt saturday but I obviously dont wanna push it. I gave her cosequin last night. Any internet vets think taking her to the vet would do anything or would they have something that would help her?

I wouldn't plan on hunting unless the limp goes away and the swelling goes down. If it hasn't improved in a day or so, then I'd be making an appt at the vet. It sounds like there is an internal problem at the knee, which could get very serious if it gets worse. Just my 2 cents

Cosequin will do nothing to help. Cosequin needs to be given for a long period of time to help with joint health. The best thing that I have found when my dog comes up a little limping after a hard day of hunting is Rimadyl. It's a prescription anti-inflammatory that you get from your vet.

Vet to have it checked. Dont mess around with bird dog knees/feet, especially this young.
Agreed. You'd want to know if there's anything internally wrong before you think about hunting them again. It's possible they're just stiff, came down awkwardly somewhere and will be fine but you never know. Think of your favorite athlete, would you want them back in the game after watching them limp around before they've been checked out?

How old is the pup? My definition of pup is who ever is the youngest dog in the house :)
Unfortunately Cosequin is a long term joint health support product. Certainly continue to give it for long term well being but it will do little to nothing in the short term. I wouldn't rule out hunting but I would monitor it closely. A pain/anti inflammatory like Rimadyl (Carprofen) is likely in order but this is a prescription med. Personally if she's still limping I would take her in and get the RX so I would have some on hand for the future. Their used to be concern that Rimidyl was hard on kidneys. Most vets seem less concerned about that now days. But I would still try an minimize its use. Likely a day or two of rest is all that is needed.
PS I have never had GI problems from giving Rimidyl.

Agreed with what has been posted thus far regarding rest and observation. Dogs are very resilient, their pain tolerance is well above what we can detect.....so even if the swelling and limp fades, there may still be a structural or ligament issue that they are fighting through. Safest way to know is a vet check when the swelling subsides. Quick range of motion and pressure test, xray and/or MRI.

On a side note, I supplement my dog with Mendota Pet Health Aches and Discomfort tablets the day before, day of, and day after I hunt him....seems to help alleviate stiffness and recovery.

Got an appointment for the morning. Amazing how much better she is today, even throughout the morning. She just jogged through the yard and looked normal.

That gives them the shits too lol. Don't ask me how I know.
Been giving my dogs Rimadyl for over 25 years and never had one get the shits from it. Sounds like you may have overdosed your dog.

How old is the pup? My definition of pup is who ever is the youngest dog in the house :)
Unfortunately Cosequin is a long term joint health support product. Certainly continue to give it for long term well being but it will do little to nothing in the short term. I wouldn't rule out hunting but I would monitor it closely. A pain/anti inflammatory like Rimadyl (Carprofen) is likely in order but this is a prescription med. Personally if she's still limping I would take her in and get the RX so I would have some on hand for the future. Their used to be concern that Rimidyl was hard on kidneys. Most vets seem less concerned about that now days. But I would still try an minimize its use. Likely a day or two of rest is all that is needed.
Agree. I have always limited the use of Rimadyl, maybe why I haven't had any issues with it. I had a Springer back in the 90's that got hip dysplasia. Gave him Rimadyl on an "as needed" basis, not every day, and he got along just fine although he was done hunting.

Shes about 15 months old

Ive had dogs with minor leg injuries many many times. I used to rush them to the vet and spend hundreds but experience has taught me what is serious and what is not. Mostly it just takes 2-3 days and you would not want to hunt them until healed.

My vet made the switch for my boy over to Deramaxx vs. Rimadyl. I like how it works and does not seem to have the same negative impacts as Rimidyl. My vet always makes sure I have some on hand.

The good thing about taking to the vet in this situation is that even if the vet inspects and says they dont see anything physically wrong, you can ask for a prescription for inflammation/pain for the future to help pup recover quicker and be pain free. This is a good time to formulate a long term joint plan with your vet as well.

Peace of mind, and knowing there (hopefully) is nothing seriously wrong is worth what this is about to cost you tomorrow IMO.

Some dogs are easily injured, some can run into a brick wall at full speed and be fine.

Ive had dogs with minor leg injuries many many times. I used to rush them to the vet and spend hundreds but experience has taught me what is serious and what is not. Mostly it just takes 2-3 days and you would not want to hunt them until healed.
If there is some kind of injury, it's best to get a professional opinion.

I wouldn't plan on hunting unless the limp goes away and the swelling goes down. If it hasn't improved in a day or so, then I'd be making an appt at the vet. It sounds like there is an internal problem at the knee, which could get very serious if it gets worse. Just my 2 cents
What Gim said

Best to check it out professionally, lots of possibility here. Start at the nail and work up to the shoulder looking for swelling or pain.
If not improving with rest or minimal drugs, have a experienced veterinarian check it out.

Back