@0. ga. shells

pheasent89

How many of you guys out there who use a 20ga. for phesants use 3 in shells? Or just stick with 2 3/4 1 oz? Also what are your favorite reloading recipes for pheasant for the 20?

I use 3" Remington Nitro 6's when toting the 20. I don't reload shotgun shells but have considered starting. I do reload all my centerfire ammo but that's another story.

Either. Used mostly 2.75s in NoDak last week, some of them were light loads (7/8 oz, 7.5 shot) in my first barrel. I don't shoot at birds out of range. OK, usually. :)

I use only 1 ounce 1220 FPS 20 gauge for pheasant. The best recipe for reloading I found on Hodgdon website several years ago.
Case Remington Gun Club
Primer. Winchester 209
Powder. Hodgdon Longshot 17.8 grs.
Wad. Rem. SP20
Shot. 1 ounce of any size
Speed 1220 FPS
Pressure. 12,000 PSI

The pressure is right up there, but I weigh every load as I don't want to go over weight. When the pressure is that high getting careless could mean trouble. This recipe replicates the factory standard 1 ounce 20 gauge load. The reason you don't see higher speeds the pressure won't permit it......Bob

Last edited:
I like 3" 20ga 11/4oz 5's, 6's and 71/2's. They are my choices when carrying one of my 20ga's. I was raised on these loads as a young man and I hold them close to my heart. When I was 12 years old, opening a new box of these 20 ga shells was like Christmas morning to me because I knew it was going to lead to bird and small game hunting.

I hunt over pointing dogs so I only use 2 3/4" 6's. I buy premium ammo, Winchester, Fiocchi or I have used Kent Fast Lead. I won't buy the cheap promo ammo to hunt pheasant with, I just don't think it kills as well as the premium stuff. I usually don't shoot that many true hunting loads so I don't reload them. A flat of 10 boxes will usually last me and the wife for two years or so unless we shoot a lot of chukars at the club.

I like Win. double x magnums in 4 or 6 shot. You have more pellets in the 3 inch, but not a necessity. I bought cases of these years ago and I am almost out. Don't think I can afford them now. They do however, put them down.

Back