2023/2024 Pheasant Hunting Videos

What do you guys like seeing in pheasant videos and what's a good length? Any other comments fire away. I do watch a few of them, but the mainstays are guys on this forum(that I watch). For me I don't like group hunting as much, and I don't like guys that blab constantly. Fat guys in North Dakota shooting a .410 are also a turn off.
I guess you're not a fan of Tyler... His podcast is sometimes OK, but I haven't spent much time with his youtube stuff.

As to your basic question, I'll offer the following:
  • 15-20 minutes, but view that more as a maximum than a minimum
  • very short intro
  • misses and bad dog work are interesting too
  • GPS coordinates would be great ;)
All the regular posters here who do video do a pretty good job. "trplc coop" (or something like that) is a guy who hunts Kansas and runs pointing dogs. As far as I know he doesn't post here. I only mention him because IMO his stuff is a little bit short. All the videos I've watched have been like 7-8 minutes.

What do you guys like seeing in pheasant videos and what's a good length? Any other comments fire away. I do watch a few of them, but the mainstays are guys on this forum(that I watch). For me I don't like group hunting as much, and I don't like guys that blab constantly. Fat guys in North Dakota shooting a .410 are also a turn off.

If it's pheasant hunting content I like, make it a slong as you want. When it's good stuff, I want more. If I don't like it, I change the channel. 2 guys; 2 dogs can be ok, but 1 guy & 1 dog is better. Hearing the wind, grass, dog, & hunter is preferable to music &/or voice-overs. I love watching a flushing dog hot on a pheasant. I love watching dogs make great recoveries, cleaning up a mess made by a less than perfect shot. That's my favorite thing. When all hope (& the rooster) seems lost, & suddenly here comes the dog with a rooster. Love it!! I like to see good shooting. Be a little excited if you make a truly impressive shot, but if you simply shoot a bird, meh, big deal. I change the channel when I see fist pumps, dancing, & whooping/hollering just because someone shot a pheasant. But by all means, get excited about your dog. They're the stars of the show. I like watching people who minimize verbal communication with their buddies & their dogs during a hunt. I like to see the birds. Show them off a bit. I like slo-mos of shots where you can see the gun barrel. I like to assess smoothness, swing, follow through, etc. I like to see misses, especially when the shooter thought it was a gimme. It helps me feel like I'm not alone. I like to see gorgeous country, sunsets, other animals, things out of the ordinary. For some reason, things like "squirrel catch, clean, cook" intrigue me if they're done in sort of a primitive fashion. Not pheasants, but oddly entertaining.

Bob, you can set the tone. Like you, I really don't get excited about party hunting or pushing fields. I do love watching a dog that knows how to hunt pheasants do their thing. I love watching a dog work a property that isn't loaded with birds and there's an art to what is being done.

I started recording my hunts because there wasn't anyone doing the one man, one dog hunts with a lab. That I could find anyway. Anyway, it kind of jives with the guys on this forum. It's the connection with the dog and the habitat that we love, as well as putting some birds in the vest. I don't know how many pheasants I've shot or seen shot over the years, that if a video is of some bros walking a food plot and blasting the birds at the end of the field, I just don't get real excited about that.

I was writing when A5 posted, but yes, no music. An intro tune is one thing, but as big of a fan as I am of music, I prefer the rustling grass, footsteps, even a bit of wind while hunting. Heavy breathing is okay after a burst of excitement, but the "you may have COPD" huffing gets a little tiresome.

Specifically to your questions - I think 15 minutes is about the right mark to watch. I watch some that are longer and some shorter, but that feels like the right amount of time.

one dog hunts with a lab. That I could find anyway. Anyway, it kind of jives with the guys on this forum.
I can relate to this, as most of my hunts are exactly this, one guy and a one dog (a yellow lab). This is primarily why I watch your videos more than any others. Plus I tend to lose interest in anything longer than about 15 minutes. The habitat I am hunting isn't like yours in SD though, that is really the only difference.

I don't have anything against others videos posted on here, I just can relate to some more than others.

I'm good with intro music. Anything more is annoying. I wouldn't mind a little better stuff though lol. Rather than the soft orchestra-style stuff they play at the Masters. Maybe a little Thunderstruck or something would set the tone better.

I can relate to this, as most of my hunts are exactly this, one guy and a one dog (a yellow lab). This is primarily why I watch your videos more than any others. Plus I tend to lose interest in anything longer than about 15 minutes. The habitat I am hunting isn't like yours in SD though, that is really the only difference.

I don't have anything against others videos posted on here, I just can relate to some more than others.

I'm good with intro music. Anything more is annoying. I wouldn't mind a little better stuff though lol. Rather than the soft orchestra-style stuff they play at the Masters. Maybe a little Thunderstruck or something would set the tone better.

Yeah, it's too bad music is copyrighted and will get your account banned on YouTube, otherwise I'd love to have something not from the free music library.

(& the rooster) I like slo-mos of shots where you can see the gun barrel. I like to assess smoothness, swing, follow through, etc. I like to see misses, especially when the shooter thought it was a gimme.
Yeah I know when I watch my misses on camera I can often see the main faults with my shot. Often it is whipping the gun barrel too fast, causing excessive gun movement, and this of course is often not smooth at all. Sometimes I also spot an improper bird/barrel relationship, often on shots that are quartering away at a shallow(small) angle I've got the bead too far out in front of the bird. One shot on a rooster I was sprinting full speed on a gravel lane and I was huffing so much I could see the barrel rising and falling with my breathing. That one was a miss, but a good memory.

I guess you're not a fan of Tyler... His podcast is sometimes OK, but I haven't spent much time with his youtube stuff.

• very short intro

• Yeah old Tyler he seems like a good dude, just not big into his style. He did a video of shooting pheasants with a .410, that's definitely not my cup of tea. Hunting unpressured birds and shooting them 20 feet off a pointing dogs nose you could prolly get one with a slingshot. And he's talked before about how mundane it is for him to shoot a rooster anymore, he's been there done that, old hat. Where I'm at every single pheasant I've ever got is special to me. Other hunters have told me he's really blown the door off ND sharptail, and not in a good way. Basically hotspotted the hell out of it for clicks and to make internet buddies. Lots more hunters in areas a guy I know never saw a soul. This is all just my opinion, didn't mean to get on the soap box.

As for bad dog work, I have a clip hunting with both dogs and the young one gets away from me on a bird and I couldn't reel her in. Lots of birds in that field, I didn't get a one. Not sure if I'll get the courage to post that one. 😕

• very short intro
  • GPS coordinates would be great ;)
All the regular posters here who do video do a pretty good job. "trplc coop" (or something like that) is a guy who hunts Kansas and runs pointing dogs. As far as I know he doesn't post here. I only mention him because IMO his stuff is a little bit short. All the videos I've watched have been like 7-8 minutes.
Missing is part of the game.Gteat retrieved to hand is fun.No music, no grab ass.

The video of a group hunt I did a few weeks back with some Pro Pheasants members.

That’s a great video. I was trying to learn from your misses before you would show it on the shot cam. Always good to learn those angles/leads. I noticed on one bird your second shot took some feathers but the rooster kept going. Amazing how much of a hit they can take and keep going!

Back