E collar introduction

Weimdogman

Posting this here as it gets more traffic.

If you advise anyone to get a ecollar add and do a proper ecollar introduction. Do not assume they know that the ecollar is a tool which IF USED PROPERLY can not be beat.
USED IMPROPERLY and you have a uphill battle.

Thanks for putting this out there!! I grew up dead set against e-collars. Because I saw people who shocked their dogs when they were pissed at them. When I started researching training methods/tools for my dog, I learned that when done properly, the e-collar is a fantastic tool. When used PROPERLY.

I know a man who lives in the Arizona desert. Has a dry creek bed runs thru his property. Of course when it does rain it's a gully washer. Due to occasional moisture there is some vegetation/ and brush in the area.
He has German Shepards he walks around the property one of which won't leave porcupines alone. After the 3rd emergency trip to the vet he asked for help. I recommended e-collars but he says that's cruel. I said no allowing this to happen multiple times is cruel.

Lost all communication with him but I hope his dogs aren't continuing that behavior.

I know a man who lives in the Arizona desert. Has a dry creek bed runs thru his property. Of course when it does rain it's a gully washer. Due to occasional moisture there is some vegetation/ and brush in the area.
He has German Shepards he walks around the property one of which won't leave porcupines alone. After the 3rd emergency trip to the vet he asked for help. I recommended e-collars but he says that's cruel. I said no allowing this to happen multiple times is cruel.

Lost all communication with him but I hope his dogs aren't continuing that behavior.
life is hard,..it’s even harder if your stupid!!…John Wayne

Thanks for putting this out there!! I grew up dead set against e-collars. Because I saw people who shocked their dogs when they were pissed at them. When I started researching training methods/tools for my dog, I learned that when done properly, the e-collar is a fantastic tool. When used PROPERLY.
Honestly i saw this first hand for the first time last season. Guy got out of his truck just before legal shooting time. I had 10 month old chocolate out burning off some steam in the parking area before we hit the fields. He had two Springers which were full of pep. One of them ran over to check the plumbing of my pup and he starts yelling and screaming at his dog and after two or three attempts to call his dog back he yells to his teen son "light him up" and the kid cranks the control to the highest setting and nail this little guy continuous until the dog dropped to the ground then the guy comes over and grabs the dog by the collar and drags him back to the truck. Really gave me a pit in my stomach.

Honestly i saw this first hand for the first time last season. Guy got out of his truck just before legal shooting time. I had 10 month old chocolate out burning off some steam in the parking area before we hit the fields. He had two Springers which were full of pep. One of them ran over to check the plumbing of my pup and he starts yelling and screaming at his dog and after two or three attempts to call his dog back he yells to his teen son "light him up" and the kid cranks the control to the highest setting and nail this little guy continuous until the dog dropped to the ground then the guy comes over and grabs the dog by the collar and drags him back to the truck. Really gave me a pit in my stomach.
That is EXACTLY the scenario. Rather than starting with, "Is it okay if my dog says hi?" Then moving on to, "Here." getting no response, followed by "here, nick, here", they go straight to the worst thing you can do.

Typically, it seems like guys who don't hunt much, thus the dog doesn't have much experience, then they go out and the dickweed with the control zaps the dog (at a much, much higher setting than is ever necessary) every time the dog doesn't do exactly what he wants. Can't find the dog in the corn? Light him up and listen for the yelp. Dog is a little out of range? Burn him.

I'm not big on hunting with people in the first place, but I can promise that I won't ever hunt again with a guy/gal who is draconian with the e-collar.

My two-cents worth. 1. ecollars are useful; 2. BUT, the first thing is to train your dog to do the things you want using mostly positive and some negative reinforcement without the ecollar; 3. once the dog is trained, always start with a command (whoa, no) and the vibration mode on the ecollar; if your command is ignored, then and only then back it up right away with a nick to establish the connection between the command, vibration, and a bit of pain 4. steady shock is only used to save your dog's life, for example if it confronts a snake or other dangerous animal or is about to go in the path of a vehicle. A well-trained dog will need only an occasional vibration or nick.

ANIMAL CRUELTY: From DitchChicken above: "One of the[] [dogs] ran over to check the plumbing of my pup and he starts yelling and screaming at his dog and after two or three attempts to call his dog back he yells to his teen son "light him up" and the kid cranks the control to the highest setting and nail this little guy continuous until the dog dropped to the ground then the guy comes over and grabs the dog by the collar and drags him back to the truck. Really gave me a pit in my stomach." This accomplished nothing and may have damaged the dog permanently.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a story a game warden told me about a dog that came running to his truck and coward underneath it while being repeatedly shocked. I won't say what he did. As I've said on here before, they are the best tool ever invented for dog training and the worst in the hands of an idiot!

That is EXACTLY the scenario. Rather than starting with, "Is it okay if my dog says hi?" Then moving on to, "Here." getting no response, followed by "here, nick, here", they go straight to the worst thing you can do.

Typically, it seems like guys who don't hunt much, thus the dog doesn't have much experience, then they go out and the dickweed with the control zaps the dog (at a much, much higher setting than is ever necessary) every time the dog doesn't do exactly what he wants. Can't find the dog in the corn? Light him up and listen for the yelp. Dog is a little out of range? Burn him.

I'm not big on hunting with people in the first place, but I can promise that I won't ever hunt again with a guy/gal who is draconian with the e-collar.
I love dogs all dogs, some are more high strung than others, and I always try to enforce what the owner is saying to his pup if they come to say hi like "sit" or "no jumping" The way I see it it was early morning hours and the dog was just being a dog. I had two emotions come over me seeing his dog so frightened one was a feeling of sadness for the long life this dog will have with a horrible owner and the other was simply going over and asking both him and his son what exactly they were thinking!! Tough situation to walk away from after seeing that.

It's too late in life for me to start this campaign again, but for years I labored to have some dog owners who abuse hot collars to have surgically-implanted electronic training suppositories inserted in them, which would simultaneously respond to that person's stimulating his dog.

I truly believe this would clear the problem right up.

(Something about cruel and unusual punishment kept on stopping the campaign.)

A shame.

It's too late in life for me to start this campaign again, but for years I labored to have some dog owners who abuse hot collars to have surgically-implanted electronic training suppositories inserted in them, which would simultaneously respond to that person's stimulating his dog. I truly believe this would clear the problem right up.

I could do the surgery. Am I qualified? Yes I am. I have a sharp (enough) knife and a tire iron.

Yea guys like that shouldn’t be allowed to own animals. In all the years I have owned dogs, and used e collars, I have never found the need to “ light one up”. In fact I seriously doubt I have ever needed more than a nick. I start from a young age. We live on a few acres but unfortunately there are a couple busy streets close. I have an 8 month old puppy and she loves to run the property and chase whatever, she always has her collar on, in fact she waits patiently by the door knowing after I put it on she gets to go outside. She is already trained to check in on beep. I haven’t nicked her in weeks. The key is consistently wearing it. I hate yelling at dogs in the field or at home. I have watched guys just fry their dogs in the field, while the poor dog had no clue what to do. If you are not going to train at home, don’t make the dog pay for it during hunting season

Several years ago I was hunting with 2 guys who had dogs. I did not have one at that time. The one dog would be running along and I'd hear it yelp and jump in the air. I thought something was wrong with it. Realized later his owner was "lighting him up." So the guy decides he is gonna go back and get his truck and drive around to pick us up on the other end. Gives me his e-collar remote. I'd never touched one. Asked him how to use it. All he had was " if you want her back push this button and she will come running."
So we are walking across the field and the first thing I did was turn the power down to #2. That dog started hunting for the first time all morning and started pointing birds left and right. She was fantastic once he left and all the pressure came off. Never forget it.
I now use one with my dog and have never made her yelp. It's a fantastic tool.

Very recently young man really coming as a young dog trainer.
Watched a half assed supposed pro
Really lighting a dog up beyond all reason
He couldn’t take it any longer a approached the idiot and expressed his displeasure..putting a end to it!
The young man is about 24 and was a college starting offensive line man😳

Maybe not everyone is aware that e- collars have greatly improved over the years. The first collars were basically "trash breakers" with only a light em up level or take the collar off and reset the level.

Dogs are different in their tolerance to the collar and certain situations demand a more serious message. Most modern collars accommodate this variable.

There are many schools of thought on the use of the tone,vibrate,nick/constant. Probably all arguments have some merit.

As a example of dogs indifference I use garmin sport collars everyday. 1 to 10 is the range. 1 dog needs a 7 to even get his attention the others are yelping on 5. Now using the bark collar option the female will wear out the auto rise feature.. She needs a 7 to shut her up- the same dog who is off the ground at 5 in the field.

Now in training I use a 550 and my best dog responds to a 1 high. The other 2 dogs need a 3. The best dog isn't soft he just is more situational aware.

Last edited:
This is a common story for people on here, I'm sure. If Ace sees me so much as touch his collar, he starts bouncing off the walls with excitement, wanting me to put it on him. He loves it! Obviously he only associates it with good things, chief among those being hunting. And while I may threaten him jokingly that if he doesn't behave, he'll soon get in touch with his inner Ben Franklin 🗝⚡⚡, I wouldn't dream of it. Therefore, neither would he. It's a corrective tool only; not a punishment.

Back