Shells? Bring Money

Amazed to find some 12 ga. shells for sale at the local hardware store. But they were $29.99/box. You know, that's damn near thirty dollars. For a box of shells.
Scary thing about it is that I can’t see the price of shells going down much if the supply ever gets better.

I wish I had a dollar for every case of 20 boxes of AA trap loads that I carried one summer. If I remember correctly, the case (20 boxes) sold for $49.99. Damn, they were heavy. I still have some of those boxes around filled with once fired AA’s.

Here in Indiana we have a sporting goods store called Dunham's and they have guns, knives, targets, sporting clothing, etc. and, after quite a seeming absence, more ammo. There I saw flats (10 boxes) of 20 gauge Federal Top Gun #8 -7/8 ounce target loads for sale last weekend---thought I had hit the jackpot till I saw the price: $99.99 for 10 boxes or basically $10/box! That's almost exactly double what they would have cost pre-pandemic.....

...and then today I solved my 12 gauge needs for awhile--a chain store called Meijer (HQ'd in MIchigan) had two 100-packs of Winchester heavy target loads --1 1/8 ounce #7 1/2's--for $29.99 and I bought them both. Then my wife needed an item from Wal Mart and that store had several boxes of the Federal .22LR, 325 for $18.88 which I did NOT need, but they also had 24- 100 packs (red boxes)Federal 12 gauge 1 1/8 #8's and they also were $29.99 so I bought one hundred pack and left the others for someone else. Amazing to find all these 12 gauge target loads today when I had been looking for weeks. I know that roughly $7.50 per box is not as cheap as the $5.49/box I paid last year, but unfortunately that was then--this is now.

SoDak Sports in Mitchell had Golden Fiochi 4’s -1 3/8. 12ga for $22. I bought 4 including the last box. 2 box limit.

Picked up three boxes of boxes of 12 gauge Federal HIBird 6 shot today at out local Fleet Farm store at 13.99 a box, then I also stopped at the local Walmart Store and got three boxes of Federal target load at 29.99 per 100 pack. The three boxes of HIBird will be going to a friend who was down to his last box of ammo for pheasant hunting.

Picked up three boxes of boxes of 12 gauge Federal HIBird 6 shot today at out local Fleet Farm store at 13.99 a box, then I also stopped at the local Walmart Store and got three boxes of Federal target load at 29.99 per 100 pack. The three boxes of HIBird will be going to a friend who was down to his last box of ammo for pheasant hunting.
I’m doing my friends a similar service. Looking for some 20 gauge field loads for a couple friends and they are hard to find.

I have tried the 5's HB, not the 6's. I was not too impressed, but we take what we can get right now LOL. I saw them same 100 packs yesterday in 8 shot. I passed them bye. 7.5 I may have grabbed. Everything seems a few bucks a box higher then normal. It will end when folks quit paying the high price. Fleet farm here has gone nuts. 16 bucks a box for cheap trap loads that should be 4.99. I may just stop shopping there all together over their gouging.

Back