16 Ga Prairie Storm Price!

Labs

Went in Runnings today to see what was on the shelf. I don't own a 16 gauge and I know it's hard to find now, but this is ridiculous. This time last year at Runnings Prairie Storm was $18.99 a box and at the same time they had it bulk 100 rounds of 12 gauge in a plastic ammo box for $59.99...

They had Federal Premium Upland for $25.99 a box. It too was $18.99 at this time last year...

Make no mistake I am a big Prairie Storm and bigger Premium Upland fan, but not at $36.00 & $26.00 a box respectively...

Ironically, they have plenty of Federal Dakota Country in stock for $12.99 a box. It kills roosters just fine, in fact I picked up a few boxes just to have on hand...

PS16.jpg

Last edited:
I snagged a case of fiocchi high velocity last November from Rogers… glad I did. Way more than I need but stuff vanished after that. Those would sting a bit.

I just use 1 oz of 6's at 1200fps. Mod and full chokes out of my Sterlingworth over pointing dogs is plenty it seems. Prarie Storms are awesome though. Stuff falls cold dead with them.

Back in August I was able to find a box of the 16 gauge Prairie Storm for $32.99 at Cabela's in Mitchell SD....still way high but I'm anxious to try them on this years' birds--at that price, hope I can make every shot count!

I have made myself think that PS is magical. When they are over $20 a box they don’t seem so great. As I get older I’m getting more interested in getting the best bang for my buck. I don’t hunt as much as I wish I could do so I’m willing to pay a bit more for higher quality shells. So Federal better hope I don’t find something else. This year I’m dropping shells in the pocket and not gonna worry was they are

I stopped at a sporting goods store outside of Minong, WI and saw some 16ga. Prairie Storm. I asked for the price and the lady clerk said with a straight face $56.00 a box. I politely asked if she was joking and she said no. It was the real price. Not for me thank you very much. I did find some 16 ga. shells at a Dunhams in Racine, WI for $28 a box. Still no bargain, but what the heck. I bought one box. Crazy times.

Years ago I bought a 4 pack of 12 gauge Prairie Storm for what seems like a bargain price now, maybe $75-$80? But now I mostly shoot 16 gauge in the A5 Sweet 16, and the Remington 1 1/8 ounce load of Express #5's or #6's work fine. But I did break down and buy 1 box of 16 gauge Prairie Storm #6's this summer at Scheel's in Sioux Falls for $32.99--lower than $56/box but still way too high. They're probably gonna rock me in that light A5 but I want to try them.

I'm not paying more than 15 dollars for high brass pheasant loads.
Its been 10 years since I have paid less than $15 a box. The better the shells, the less pheasants your will cripple. But buy what patterns best from your gun whether it's $10 a box or $30 box. Are you willing to pay more for one tank of gas than you are for 2 boxes of pheasant loads which will last you the entire season? That it is really stupid.

Its been 10 years since I have paid less than $15 a box. The better the shells, the less pheasants your will cripple. But buy what patterns best from your gun whether it's $10 a box or $30 box. Are you willing to pay more for one tank of gas than you are for 2 boxes of pheasant loads which will last you the entire season? That it is really stupid.
I usually burn a dozen boxes. I hunt a lot!!

I know that shells and other ammo for that matter have taken a significant increase since the pandemic. Everything has. Here are my 2c worth. I have been chasing upland of all types and seldom have I needed to seek out "max" load shells. My go to in either 12ga, 16ga & 20ga shells is 1oz or 1-1/8 #6. If I don't knock them down, its my fault not the ammo or gun. I do hunt behind my GSPs so I do have some distance advantages. I have owned over the 55 years of chasing these wildly birds 11 GPSs therefore is not them, the gun or the ammo which causes my contribution to the "conservation". ITS ME .
Maybe some day ammo prices will be back to normal - Good Day

“I’m not paying more than 15 dollars for high brass pheasant loads.”

I hope you have some flats in storage because if you don’t you might not be shooting high brass pheasant load this year from the prices I have seen!

Back