Tell me this isn't smokin' hot

When did SD go to a 14 day nonresident license?

AFAIK, this bit from the GFP website is what they sell:

Nonresident Small Game (10-days, (2) 5-day periods)
You're right. 10 days for SD. Brittman got my head thinking 14 days for ND.

The Dakota's do in fact lead in # cases per population unit (million people). SD is #8 in death rate per population unit.

I will opine once again that there is absolutely NO WAY to compute the number of cases. If you have no accurate count on the number of cases/infections, there is absolutely NO WAY to compute the death rate either.

IE: IF SD had 130,233 cases and 2169 deaths then the death rate would be 2169/130,233 = .0166

If another 100,000 SD folks were asymptomatic and never tested for it or reported it then it's 2169/230,233 = .0094 Was there another 100k asymptomatic cases? No way of telling.

The points are: 1) There is no accurate count of cases in any state or the nation as a whole. There just isn't. 2) There is no accurate count of true Covid deaths in any state or the nation as a whole. There just isn't.

Nobody knows. Nobody. This whole shebang consists of one WAG (wild ass guess) after another from day one.

Anybody still believe this virus just spontaneously occurred in a wet meat market in Wuhan? Combine the outright lies with the WAGs and what do you have? NOTHING.

The Dakota's do in fact lead in # cases per population unit (million people). SD is #8 in death rate per population unit. It is interesting because the number below in cases is actually higher than the actual number of cases because both states have under 1 million people.

The larger number is the US average. So you are more likely to catch it and more likely to die in SD.

View attachment 1371
As has been suggested elsewhere - which set of numbers and which "analysis" at what point in time do you determine as "real", and which do you consider bogus? The gross disparity between SD "got it" and "died from it" numbers, alone, strongly suggests that we still don't even know how to count occurrences of this illness, or deaths from it. This very recent chart from CDC suggests that S.Dak is far from the worst place to be if you are looking to avoid illness or death from COVID in the US: CDC COVID Data Tracker

My own conclusion is that we simply don't know much about the prevalence of the disease, much less cause/effect relationships. Nor do we fully understand the economic and physical/mental health cost of protracted lockdowns - although we do know that it is quite substantial, with major long term consequences.

Has anyone compared COVID death rates over the past year, offset by the "expected" death rate from the "regular" flu (which was virtually non-existent). Hmmmm.

Has anyone compared COVID death rates over the past year, offset by the "expected" death rate from the "regular" flu (which was virtually non-existent). Hmmmm.
Johns Hopkins has data comparing death totals. There have been a confirmed 2.6 million deaths worldwide due to COVID-19 since it began (likely higher due to third world countries not having a means of effective reporting, but let's just call it 2.6 million). Compared to the Flu which yearly death totals worldwide are between 350,000 - 650,000.

More people have died in the US (539,000) than your usual year worldwide due to the flu.

Let's say it was the worst year ever for the flu and 1 million people would have died anyways because of the flu, we still have 1.6 million people that died because of COVID worldwide. That's just deaths, I didn't take the time to look at the total cases between COVID and the flu.

But sure, if we want to say it's the flu causing higher death rates or not offsetting this, let's go for it.

Edit: Link for those that want to review themselves.

Last edited:
Johns Hopkins has data comparing death totals. There have been a confirmed 2.6 million deaths worldwide due to COVID-19 since it began (likely higher due to third world countries not having a means of effective reporting, but let's just call it 2.6 million). Compared to the Flu which yearly death totals worldwide are between 350,000 - 650,000.

More people have died in the US (539,000) than your usual year worldwide due to the flu.

Let's say it was the worst year ever for the flu and 1 million people would have died anyways because of the flu, we still have 1.6 million people that died because of COVID worldwide. That's just deaths, I didn't take the time to look at the total cases between COVID and the flu.

But sure, if we want to say it's the flu causing higher death rates or not offsetting this, let's go for it.

Edit: Link for those that want to review themselves.

Yes, one should always check for oneself. And read carefully.

No representation is made IRT the number of flu deaths in S. Dak, much less the US. And as to world wide numbers, here's what Johns Hopkin actually says: "(The CDC does not know the exact number because the flu is not a reportable disease in most parts of the U.S.)"

So. We don't know. Johns Hopkins doesn't know. No one knows. Because it isn't even reported.

No entity has any accurate total on the number of deaths directly and solely attributable to Covid
Correct. Proof here:

"As COVID-19 raged last year, the seasonal flu all but vanished, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

Source: USA Today.

No way the books were cooked to up Covid death numbers.

“Hospitals and doctors do get paid more for Medicare patients diagnosed with COVID-19 or if it's considered PRESUMED they have COVID-19 absent a laboratory-confirmed test, and three times more if the patients are placed on a ventilator to cover the cost of care and loss of business resulting from a shift in focus to treat COVID-19 cases.”

Where is the evidence that we’re not being bamboozled?
Don't know if we are being bamboozled or not (although it would certainly appear that many politicians have endeavored, successfully, to "not let this good crisis go to waste" to relieve us of our freedom, and wallets).

What I am saying is, that anyone who claims the disease or it's purported remedies are fully (or maybe even much) understood - are just wrong. We can't even accurately count who has had it, or who has had the "regular" flu.

I'm not anti-science. I'm anti-over confidence that we really understand the science. It wasn't that long ago that Doctors were advertising Camel cigarettes - but now its different, THIS time we really do know it all. Don't think so.

From my experience in helping vaccinate over a thousand people at my hospital, your second dose shouldn't be much worse than your first. Six months of immune memory is encouraging though.
What is not "much" worse? Sounds a bit like the old "you will feel a little pinch" malarkey.

My mother had a harsh reaction, and a friend's 30 something son had be hospitalized for heart rhythm problems and a very high fever - both IRT the first jab, so not sure "not much worse" on the 2nd means "not dead"!

What is your follow-up process to verify that the 1k plus people you've vax'ed didn't suffer ill effects on the second (or, for that matter, the first) jab? If you are relying on sickened folks to call you, wait on hold for an hour, then report the results to you - you just might be underestimating the rate of adverse reactions. Or worse, counting any who don't drop on the spot as a "success".

But you are probably right - no less an authority than Donald J., himself, is actively encouraging us all to be vaccinated and he's been more consistently correct than many of the "experts". So, you are in good company on this one!

The 2.6 million people that died. Or do you need to see dead bodies littering the street to believe?
2.6 mil died from the Covid? Or did a large part die with the Covid? You could die of an aneurysm and test positive for Covid but that doesn’t mean you died FROM Covid.

I know quite a few seniors and health care workers (some family, some not) that have been vaccinated ... all 3 versions. I have yet to hear of anyone having any reaction other than a sore arm.

What is not "much" worse? Sounds a bit like the old "you will feel a little pinch" malarkey.

My mother had a harsh reaction, and a friend's 30 something son had be hospitalized for heart rhythm problems and a very high fever - both IRT the first jab, so not sure "not much worse" on the 2nd means "not dead"!

What is your follow-up process to verify that the 1k plus people you've vax'ed didn't suffer ill effects on the second (or, for that matter, the first) jab? If you are relying on sickened folks to call you, wait on hold for an hour, then report the results to you - you just might be underestimating the rate of adverse reactions. Or worse, counting any who don't drop on the spot as a "success".

But you are probably right - no less an authority than Donald J., himself, is actively encouraging us all to be vaccinated and he's been more consistently correct than many of the "experts". So, you are in good company on this one!
those thousand people were all my fellow healthcare professionals that were vaccinated when the first round was made available here in Minnesota. So it came from first first-hand accounts with my fellow coworkers. The CDC is also running a post vaccine survey to see what kinds of effects people are getting.

like some have stated, a reaction to the vaccine is a good thing. It means that you have a functioning immune system that can handle responding to threats that are in your body.

I don't think that anyone in the health care community would say that a vaccine is 100% safe. It's a weighing of the benefits versus risk. This one just so happens to incredibly favor towards the benefit.

I'm sorry to hear that some people you know got sick after the vaccination. Hopefully they can sort out what precipitated it vaccine or otherwise.

Covid has impacted everyone differently. If your family and social (maybe limited now) network has remaind clear of the disease you may wonder what is the problem. Once covid breaks into that network the situation could change rather quickly.

I know of only a couple people that have died from covid and just one person that I actually knew (professionally) and had met face-to-face. The few others were extended family members of friends. I know of maybe a handful more people that have contracted the disease.

I know quite a few seniors and health care workers (some family, some not) that have been vaccinated ... all 3 versions. I have yet to hear of anyone having any reaction other than a sore arm.
Do you know the percentage of health care professionals who have declined the vax? Many.

I
those thousand people were all my fellow healthcare professionals that were vaccinated when the first round was made available here in Minnesota. So it came from first first-hand accounts with my fellow coworkers. The CDC is also running a post vaccine survey to see what kinds of effects people are getting.

like some have stated, a reaction to the vaccine is a good thing. It means that you have a functioning immune system that can handle responding to threats that are in your body.

I don't think that anyone in the health care community would say that a vaccine is 100% safe. It's a weighing of the benefits versus risk. This one just so happens to incredibly favor towards the benefit.

I'm sorry to hear that some people you know got sick after the vaccination. Hopefully they can sort out what precipitated it vaccine or otherwise.
You have 1,000 co-workers?

I've read (but you can read anything) that a great many health care professionals are NOT opting to be vax'ed - though I have several Doc friends, who have. Not saying one shouldn't take it- just that there is much we do not know.

Back