Tell me this isn't smokin' hot

Now hold on a second here. While it may not be an official "super spreader event", its quite obvious that gathering 400,000 people into one location during a pandemic caused by respiration will in fact cause spreading. That is not a lie. It is simple physics. If no one there is talking, sneezing, laughing, or even breathing, then we can say it was not an issue. But having that many people together for 10 days performing daily bodily functions certainly was not a good idea.

The article you attached does not account for the exponential spread post-mortem. The R-not number of covid-19 is between 3-4 so every single case spawned from that needs to be multiplied again, and again, and again unless mitigation measures are being followed (which we all know is not being done in South Dakota).
Well, I seem to recall that the experts told us that a two week shutdown would solve the problem. Then they said you get the China Death Bug by touching a hard surface that was contaminated. Then that a mask, no make that no mask, no make that 2 masks is the cure.

The best evidence we have, unfortunately, is largely anecdotal. Floridians are NOT dying at higher rates than Draconian New York. Neither are South Dakotans. These things, we do know.

Doc Fauci and hosts of other "experts" have studied the bejesus out of this thing, ad nauseum, for a year - and still don't know squat. I don't think anyone else (at least, outside of China) does either.

Did we destroy this nation's economy/society because of a virus that could have been significantly mitigated through the use of two inexpensive, proven drugs?

I said as soon as the shut downs began that I believe unbiased history will look back on this and say we shut down a great economy because of political reasons that may take us years to recover from. It is hard to believe that for some thing that has such a high survival rate that everything had to stop. Keep in mind I have lost a very good friend and a niece to this virus so I am not saying there aren’t risks for some. Both of them had other health issues that complicated their ability to fight off the virus. To me it’s very clear that if you have conditions that place you at higher risk you need to take precautions. That doesn’t apply to most people.

Two states with vastly different strategies and similar results. Cases per 100K and deaths per 100K

1615922713032.png

Haha 😂 this forum... deader than dead and then you get a lively topic and someone has to cry the discussion overlap on covid issues offends their sensibilities.

How hard is it to avoid topics that upset your tummy? Lol

I like that she supports the outdoors in SD but she really is an idiot when it comes to the pandemic. South Dakota has the highest cases and deaths per capita of any state in the country and her refusal to instill public health safety measures is on the border of being criminally responsible. Then people get sick there and they run out of health care space and ask to send people to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.
I take exception with you calling our governor an idiot. Your statement of South Dakota having the highest cases and deaths per capita in the US are totally false. Check the facts before you start posting. Sure you aren't jealous because Noem didn't shut down our state unlike what Walz did in your state of Minnesota? During the past year our economy has remained strong and our unemployment is the lowest in the country. You can credit that to Noem. This thread shouldn't become a political football but it looks like it's headed that way and will probably be shutdown.

Let's not confuse discussion of an major, ongoing event that has negatively impacted all we do, most definitely to include opportunities to travel and hunt, with "politics". It's not politics, just because some happen to dislike the factual data presented and discussed. Lets not allow the cancel culture to step on a great and free forum.

Oh great, another forum infected with COVID-19 politics.
COVID certainly curtailed my own hunting opportunities greatly - in fact, it was the primary driver of what was essentially a non-existent season.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if that's not the case again this year. I can't imagine that this isn't heavy on everyone's mind.

Yes Covid is on everyones mind. It totally eliminated my pheasant season for the first time in over 30 years. But hey I'm still here and I have a plan to hunt pheasants no matter what next fall even if what every rooster costs me is a significant part of the national debt. So I am ignoring politics and thinking positively. So to the important question... was there any significant winter problems anywhere in the pheasant range? Oh and as to whether BB was a hottie? Well all I can say is most of us are older and I have an eye appointment in 2 weeks.

You don't know that. In fact there is a reasonable chance this can be completely wiped out just like we did with other diseases like smallpox, polio, etc. We eliminated those with a safe effective vaccine.

Of course it could be seasonally endemic too like influenza.
H1N1 is still out there. SARS too. Smallpox, polio? We’re already seeing those come back through our southern border. So no, it’s completely unreasonable to think there is a chance it’ll be wiped out. Treatment should improve but total eradication, considering that the vaccinated are thought to still be spreaders? Not likely going to see this one gone for good, especially as quickly as we’re told it mutates.

Yes Covid is on everyones mind. It totally eliminated my pheasant season for the first time in over 30 years. But hey I'm still here and I have a plan to hunt pheasants no matter what next fall even if what every rooster costs me is a significant part of the national debt. So I am ignoring politics and thinking positively. So to the important question... was there any significant winter problems anywhere in the pheasant range? Oh and as to whether BB was a hottie? Well all I can say is most of us are older and I have an eye appointment in 2 weeks.
Doc says I have 10% cataracts, whatever that means. So, no slicing yet but it's a comin'. He says that is excellent for my age. I think it is excellent for his business!

H1N1 is still out there. SARS too. Smallpox, polio? We’re already seeing those come back through our southern border. So no, it’s completely unreasonable to think there is a chance it’ll be wiped out. Treatment should improve but total eradication, considering that the vaccinated are thought to still be spreaders? Not likely going to see this one gone for good, especially as quickly as we’re told it mutates.
Good points.

Not to be Mr. Doom but also, not sure how it doesn't get covered more, but TB is back in many of our urban areas., especially. And more drug resistant than in the past. You ought to see the list of vaccinations our little ones are required to be infused with, just to attend public schools (whenever that happens). Not an anti-vaxer by any means but one wonders how much of this stuff their little bodies can withstand, and whether there might be some kind of interaction among all those different vaccines loaded into a little 40 or 50 pound kiddo.

What about Sturgis? Packing hundreds of thousands of people from across the country into one small area? Are you grateful she kept that event on as planned too without any restrictions?
Can’t people make decisions for themselves? Knowing there is a health pandemic going on, people do have the right to choose where they go. They didn’t have to go to Sturgis just because the event wasn’t shut down.

Can’t people make decisions for themselves? Knowing there is a health pandemic going on, people do have the right to choose where they go. They didn’t have to go to Sturgis just because the event wasn’t shut down.
Ya that doesn't really work. Because then they ask the government or the health care system to bail them out because of their irresponsible actions. Certainly we are all adults here and make our own beds every day, but you can't fix stupid sometimes.

Ya, I'll call out a governor if I want. I consider myself a moderate conservative too just so you know but I work in public health and every single decision that Noem has made goes against what I do for a living. When someone makes decisions for their personal political glory ahead of the safety and health of their own population that is when I draw the line.

I'm not impressed with how SD is "managing" the pheasant flock...for starters, dropping the brood county survey...extending the season, attempting to increase the limit...appears to be merely an attempt to increase hunter #'s...what am I saying? The state basically said it for me...they're in the "marketing" business! Which, is tacitly stating, that they're not really in the science business. Hopefully the state HAS been in the "science" business as it relates to health issues, such as the pandemic. Maybe they have been...but I believe the governor would win the award for greatest sycophant as it relates for the former president. Don't want to be a hypocrite...I've definitely played that role before...:love:...but, my experiences with "managing up" never involved anybody's physical well being...

Last edited:
Ya that doesn't really work. Because then they ask the government or the health care system to bail them out because of their irresponsible actions. Certainly we are all adults here and make our own beds every day, but you can't fix stupid sometimes.

Ya, I'll call out a governor if I want. I consider myself a moderate conservative too just so you know but I work in public health and every single decision that Noem has made goes against what I do for a living. When someone makes decisions for their personal political glory ahead of the safety and health of their own population that is when I draw the line.
Has it occurred to you that the real problem is dependence on the government for health care, not failure to obey their edicts - which they get to do because they make your fellow taxpayers fund your decisions (poor or otherwise)?

That's circular logic.

I'm not impressed with how SD is "managing" the pheasant flock...for starters, dropping the brood county survey...extending the season, attempting to increase the limit...appears to be merely an attempt to increase hunter #'s...what am I saying? The state basically said it for me...they're in the "marketing" business! Which, is tacitly stating, that they're not really in the science business.
Totally agree about not being impressed with how SD has been managing their pheasants and also agree that it appears they are in the marketing business.

I went to SD again this fall and got into some birds, but I think it may have been my last trip. And it's my neighboring state. I could have done just as well here in MN, and when I get the itch to travel to hunt (which I get yearly) I think I'll spend my time and money in North Dakota and Nebraska when I get the travel bug.

Any state with common sense with a good resource of any kind would market it.
Even California does this. Like it or not it's their resource.

Here, hold my beer.

Would you qualify that marketing effort with the phrase "for the benefit of state taxpayers, not the state's wildlife exploitation bureaucracy"?
Not the same thing, unfortunately.

Brace for impact.

No I agree with you, they want to make money the same way MN, Nebraska, Iowa etc wants to make money from hunting "tourism". And I don't fault them for that.

But as Benelli said, they're starting to throw some caution to the wind with how they are managing pheasants in SD with the longer seasons, dropping the brood count survey because "people won't come here when the numbers are down".

They seem to want to just market themselves as the pheasant capital yet their management practices are suggesting they are only concerned with being the pheasant capital (gain) not so much the pheasant capital (of bird numbers).

I'll gladly return to SD and support them again when they return the brood count survey and appear to care more about the bird itself than the money they make off it.

Back