Vehicle Purchase

lovenstein

Morning All,

I'm hoping some of you have insight and/or experience with this conundrum I find myself in. I have two small children (6 yr old boy and 2 yr old girl) and two vizslas. I currently drive a 2003 Tahoe and it has served me/us very well. I am now constantly looking at vehicles and can't seem to make a decision. I've always wanted a pickup but deep down I think the larger SUV (thinking about a Yukon XL or Suburban) might be the best choice at this stage in life...I could get a topper and put the kennels back there but that would take up a lot of the bed on these newer trucks (5 1/2' beds) and would be almost the exact same as putting them in the back of a SUV.

Anybody go through this same pickle as me?

Nick

I did that when the kids were young. The SUV with third row seats worked the best for family and was adequate for hunting trips. When the kids got older, moved out, I went back to a pickup. Seasons in life are short.

When my boys were young I had Suburbans. When they were really young, they didn't accompany me on the hunting trips but the Labs did. I duck hunted a LOT then. Had the kennels and gear in the back of the Suburban. It worked but the downside is that if your dog gets in the stinky muck or gets skunked you get to ride with that for as long as it takes. To me, that's a pretty big downside. Those odors can linger in your SUV.

When the boys got older, I went to the F250/Crew/Shortbed (6.5 foot) with a capper and kennel in the back. I believe it's a superior solution period. The Crew Cab was comfortable for 4 adults and adequate for 5 if necessary. The dogs had a good setup under the capper. If skunked, the bed was easy to power wash.

That's just my opinion. YMMV.

I just sold that old '03 F250. Replaced it with a GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Shortbed. Happy with that so far.

<Edit> I think the Crew Cabs are kinda the best of both worlds. A5 Sweet 16 put me on to that waterproof dog hammock for the back seat so when it's just one or two hunters the dog(s) can ride in the back seat without messing anything up. If a dog gets skunked I have the kennel in the back under the capper. If I have 3-4 hunters, I can kennel in the back. Flexibility: the key to success!

(Old USAF joke we had: Flexibility is the key to success. Indecision is the key to flexibility. Therefore, indecision is the key to success!) </Edit>

Last edited:
Been a looong time, but as I remember, kids expand to fill the space available. You are now entering the friends, "stuff", school-says-I-gotta-have-it, and "look Dad! The music instructor says I'm the BEST at the tuba!" stage of parenting. Get the suburban, you'll have more kid stuff than hunting stuff for the next few years.

Enjoy it; they'll make you crazy, but it will be doing stuff you'll remember the rest of your life.

These messages are outstanding - thank you so much for the responses. I should have bought a truck 8-10 years ago haha. Sure seems like the larger SUV is the way to go at this moment in time. This helps narrow my search - I'm planning on a 4WD, 8 cylinder (needs to tow a boat that's roughly 4,000 lbs on the trailer) SUV with a removable 3rd row. Eyeing up the Yukon XL and Suburban.

Thank you all very much!

These messages are outstanding - thank you so much for the responses. I should have bought a truck 8-10 years ago haha. Sure seems like the larger SUV is the way to go at this moment in time. This helps narrow my search - I'm planning on a 4WD, 8 cylinder (needs to tow a boat that's roughly 4,000 lbs on the trailer) SUV with a removable 3rd row. Eyeing up the Yukon XL and Suburban.

Thank you all very much!
I believe both the Suburbans and Yukon offer videos to the back seat...kids will love this feature!

Thank you all very much!
The third row seats in the newer GM SUV's fold flat, unlike the older ones that you had to remove. I think with your kid situation you will like the larger SUV much better than the pickup. I've driven SUV's since the 1970's, only issue is when the dog gets skunked. It's a nasty ride home. Unless you are sold on GM's I'd take a look at the Ford Expeditions. The 2015 and newer Expeditions have a turbo charged 3.5L V-6 that has loads of towing power and gets excellent gas mileage (22-23 mpg highway).

Im on my 4th Suburban I think. First thing I always do is pull the 3rd row seat and pit it in storage. I have a platform with 2 crates on top and 2 storage bins that slide under the platform.
My boys are now 27 and 23.
Why do you need a 3rd row with only 2 kids?

The cost difference between a full size crew cab truck and a large SUV is mind boggling. You can easily spend twice as much on the SUV as you would on the truck. I think that is a big reason why full size trucks with crew cabs are so popular now. They can be used to haul a family of four at half the cost of the SUV.

Two years ago when I bought my F-150, the salesman briefly tried to talk me into an Expedition. Then I saw the price tag. Same year, similar miles, twice as much. I don't think so...

Keep in mind that GM now has a diesel available in their Suburban...I know someone that has one in their 1500 P/U and gets right near 30 mpg.
yup, I have the 3.0L Sierra 1500 and in winter here in PA I am getting 24 in town.

OP, I added a cap and to intermediate kennels in the back for the 2 dogs.

Im on my 4th Suburban I think. First thing I always do is pull the 3rd row seat and pit it in storage. I have a platform with 2 crates on top and 2 storage bins that slide under the platform.
My boys are now 27 and 23.
Why do you need a 3rd row with only 2 kids?

The reason for the 3rd row is really more related to cargo space than it is to the number of seats. I suppose at some point we might end up with my nieces/nephews or ridesharing with other hockey/baseball families so that might come in handy in the next couple years. For now it just offers more space back there with the seats removed/folded down.

Lot's of good advice. I've had both. Couple notes. Check towing capacity, some of the newer suv"s have a low towing capacity. Found that out when we got rid of an old Yukon for a new suburban that had trouble towing our camper. We now have an Expedition with a 9000 pound capacity, had an old Yukon with I believe 7000 and a new suburban with only 5000. As to cost, at least up here suburbans hold their value forever and they are in big demand. Also I think every house up here has a set of third row seats in the back of their storage shed.

The reason for the 3rd row is really more related to cargo space than it is to the number of seats. I suppose at some point we might end up with my nieces/nephews or ridesharing with other hockey/baseball families so that might come in handy in the next couple years. For now it just offers more space back there with the seats removed/folded down.
How much do you want to spend and are you mechanical?

Also what state do you live in and how many miles on your Tahoe and what color (if you want to sell it)

I'm a huge GM fan and GMT800 fan (the series of full size trucks/suv's GM made from 99-06 or so) -- Own 3 different variations - Tahoe, Duramax pickup and a "Durakon" XL

I dont like the new stuff save for the styling in 2021 on the GMC they finally made something that looks good.

Depending on what your financial constraints are and how much room you have and how mechanical you are can probably narrow or broaden your options.

Husker - Looking at a used vehicle - ideally 2017 or newer and looking to spend less than $40K. I'm probably slightly below or right about average in terms of my mechanical understanding - some systems I'm really comfortable with (brakes, rotors, hub assemblies, driveshaft and u-joints, alternator, belt replacement, oil changes, etc...) and others I'm not at all. I enjoy taking things apart and putting them back together though so I usually make the first effort.

Alaskan Swamp Collies - I didn't realize that the newer Tahoes/Suburbans towing capacity has gone down. Looks like my current 2003 Tahoe is about 7,400 and the new suburbans is only 6K - 6,300. I always figure about 60% of the official towing capacity so I might be a little low on the boat although the trailer does have brakes.

yup, I have the 3.0L Sierra 1500 and in winter here in PA I am getting 24 in town.
TroutBum, I gave a serious look to the 3.0L before I bought my Sierra 1500. Just curious here but how much DEF are you using? I've read a gallon per 1000 miles, I've read 3% of total diesel fuel usage.

Any idea how much yours is using?

Husker - Looking at a used vehicle - ideally 2017 or newer and looking to spend less than $40K. I'm probably slightly below or right about average in terms of my mechanical understanding - some systems I'm really comfortable with (brakes, rotors, hub assemblies, driveshaft and u-joints, alternator, belt replacement, oil changes, etc...) and others I'm not at all. I enjoy taking things apart and putting them back together though so I usually make the first effort.

Alaskan Swamp Collies - I didn't realize that the newer Tahoes/Suburbans towing capacity has gone down. Looks like my current 2003 Tahoe is about 7,400 and the new suburbans is only 6K - 6,300. I always figure about 60% of the official towing capacity so I might be a little low on the boat although the trailer does have brakes.

If you'd like it - for that budget you could get a duramax converted 3/4 suburban or Yukon XL -- Look up Nick Controy - Duramax Specialities on FB -- I've got one and love it - mine is kind of a project with things I want to still do - but anyways an option for ya - you can tow whatever you want, I dont know where you live but Mash Motors (Mike is the owner) in Wichita converts them too - he helped me get mine running and finish it up.

In that budget you'd have to stick with the GMT800 platform which would be 03-06 I think he starts about $30k and up depending on all that you want done.

Anyways if you get ready to sell your tahoe hit me up - I'm looking maybe to get another to play with.

TroutBum, I gave a serious look to the 3.0L before I bought my Sierra 1500. Just curious here but how much DEF are you using? I've read a gallon per 1000 miles, I've read 3% of total diesel fuel usage.

Any idea how much yours is using?
Just hit the delete button on the def system. Guess that depends on if you have to pass emissions tests where you live.

Be careful of “the delete button”. It will not only delete your blu def, but your warranty; plus, in my neck of the woods, costs about $2500.

Back