Vehicle Purchase

Be careful of “the delete button”. It will not only delete your blu def, but your warranty; plus, in my neck of the woods, costs about $2500.
I dont know where you live - but if you have any mechanical aptitude it's pretty simple and shouldnt cost anywhere near that if you do it yourself. Just depends on your state I guess whether it's feasible.

The cost difference between a full size crew cab truck and a large SUV is mind boggling. You can easily spend twice as much on the SUV as you would on the truck. I think that is a big reason why full size trucks with crew cabs are so popular now. They can be used to haul a family of four at half the cost of the SUV.

Two years ago when I bought my F-150, the salesman briefly tried to talk me into an Expedition. Then I saw the price tag. Same year, similar miles, twice as much. I don't think so...

True enough if buying new ... but the depreciation on used pickups is far less than SUVs. If you start looking at 3+ year old trucks with over 50K miles the price gap is not that great (SUV may even be less) and the SUV may actually be there when you go to the dealer to take a look at it.

I didn't get the 3.0L dielsel for two reasons. One, using the Fed fuel economy numbers and the local price for diesel and regular I found that I'd save about $5 on a 1000 mile highway trip when the DEF cost is included. Right now there's about a forty cent difference in fuel with diesel being more expensive. If you leave the DEF system operative and run out of DEF you get limited to 65mph.

The other reason was engineering/mechanical. It probably wouldn't affect people that trade their trucks with relatively low mileage but I tend to keep them a long time/high mileage.

In a spark of brilliant engineering, GM drove the oil pump with belt that requires an inspection/possible replacement at 150,000 miles. And given its location, the transmission has to be pulled in order to access the belt (along with the transfer case if your truck is four-wheel drive).

I talked to the service manager where I was shopping and his estimate on doing the inspection pulling the transmission and transfer case was $2000-2500. What it would be in 8-10 years when I had 150k on the truck would be anyone's guess.

I just decided I wasn't going to reward that kind of engineering. I went with the 5.3 gasser.

I started with a Tahoe and then went to a suburban and a couple of Yukon XL as my kids were growing, bringing friends, hauling their ball gear and such. Taking dogs and gear in the back of the big SUV worked great. Only downside was there is a lot to clean on the inside of an SUV after a hunting trip. Now that my kids are in college and last one almost there I went with a GMC Sierra. I can stack the dog crates behind the drivers seat if I want the dogs to ride inside and still be in crates.

TroutBum, I gave a serious look to the 3.0L before I bought my Sierra 1500. Just curious here but how much DEF are you using? I've read a gallon per 1000 miles, I've read 3% of total diesel fuel usage.

Any idea how much yours is using?
Never really noticed, not paying attention. I feel like I have put 5 gallons in 3 times and have 12K miles on it.

I've had everything and think the crew cab pickup is the best way to go for both the family need and hunting. You still get crew cans with 6.5ft beds but the shorter with a cap you can haul anything you want plus the family. Hunting wise if you have a pickup and a skunked dog on a hunting trip you can just keep them in their kennel without destroying the interior of your SUV. You might get over the smell but I doubt the wife would. All the newer vehicles are great rides with some of the pickups riding even better than a car. Fuel mileage is improving and diesels are now an option for half ton pickups. If you think your family is going to grow to more than 5 people then the SUV is your best option but 5 or less I would pick a crew cab. Cart my boy and teammates all over the great lakes for hockey and baseball with a crew cab, only vehicle better was our AWD minivan, but that never used that for a hunting rig. Good luck with your decision.

Morning All,

I'm hoping some of you have insight and/or experience with this conundrum I find myself in. I have two small children (6 yr old boy and 2 yr old girl) and two vizslas. I currently drive a 2003 Tahoe and it has served me/us very well. I am now constantly looking at vehicles and can't seem to make a decision. I've always wanted a pickup but deep down I think the larger SUV (thinking about a Yukon XL or Suburban) might be the best choice at this stage in life...I could get a topper and put the kennels back there but that would take up a lot of the bed on these newer trucks (5 1/2' beds) and would be almost the exact same as putting them in the back of a SUV.

Anybody go through this same pickle as me?

Nick
Yeah, I have a 5, 3, and 1 year old children. So my pickup is set up for family and hunting. Crew Cab was a must, so was the 6.5' bed. 2 years ago I bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Crew Cab 6.5' bed. Not many dealers carry crew cabs with the 6.5' bed, most are 5.5', but they are out there. Just make sure your garage can handle the extra foot of length. And honestly, look new. I bought mine brand new for $32,000. Why buy a few years old with 50,000 miles for almost that same price? Look for some rebates, compare other prices from other dealers, let them know you've done your homework, and start talking them down. Added a topper, built a sliding drawer system, and it's a great set up for family life and hunting life.

I would agree that a truck versus an SUV is the way to go as others have mentioned. I had an SUV before I had my truck and it didn't suit my needs enough. And I don't even have kids haha it was fine when it was just me, but adding in dogs, gear, other people, made it tough. If you're just doing day trips, it may work out fine. But long weekends or week long trips when I need more gear, the SUV didn't cut it, so I got my crew cab truck instead.

A crew cab can hold 4 adults very comfortable. So should be just fine for up to 3 kids with a passenger seat to spare.

All depends on your need. I had a standard Chevy pickup when I was single. it was great for picking up building material & hunting. if it got dirty, I would just hose it off.
When we had kids, I went to a Tahoe. I liked it a lot. everything was enclosed & secured in the back. Whether I was going to the store or the beach. items would fit in the back & would be within arms length.
I recently rented the 2021 suburban for a trip. It was nice, rear seats recline & they get good gas mileage (the newer Chevy have a "Cylinder Deactivation System to save gas. I got about 26 mi/gal on the hwy. ) However I still preferred the Tahoe (size) for everyday driving.

It depends on what you like. with the suburban you'll have the a 3rd roll seat should you need it. And your dogs can ride in comfort (A/C & heat)in the back. But with a pickup truck you can pick up building/gardening supply or throw whatever you like in the back bed without worrying about it getting dirty.

Last edited:
One other tip about a crew cab pickup that I've surprised some people with. You can fit 2 medium sized dog kennels (my dogs are almost 50 pounds) stacked on top of each other in the backseat (of a 2018 silverado with the split bench in the back seat at least). Which would let you and 2 others travel together. That's what I do and I have a topper on my truck. That way they can ride in the heat/ac.

If I'm by myself or just one other person, I'll flip up both back seats and have their kennels on the floor, back to back. Which gives me a nice flat spot to lay my gun, bags, etc.

I only mention that because I've surprised guys a few times so I like to share the wealth.

One other tip about a crew cab pickup that I've surprised some people with. You can fit 2 medium sized dog kennels (my dogs are almost 50 pounds) stacked on top of each other in the backseat (of a 2018 silverado with the split bench in the back seat at least). Which would let you and 2 others travel together. That's what I do and I have a topper on my truck. That way they can ride in the heat/ac.

If I'm by myself or just one other person, I'll flip up both back seats and have their kennels on the floor, back to back. Which gives me a nice flat spot to lay my gun, bags, etc.

I only mention that because I've surprised guys a few times so I like to share the wealth.
I do this as well! I have ruffland kennels and I can bolt them together and my buddy and I can put four dogs in the back of a F-150 with the seats flipped up. Kennels stacked and backed against each other. Makes it nice when it is too cold or too hot outside for them. Then I can run a tonneau cover and don't need a topper.

I do this as well! I have ruffland kennels and I can bolt them together and my buddy and I can put four dogs in the back of a F-150 with the seats flipped up. Kennels stacked and backed against each other. Makes it nice when it is too cold or too hot outside for them. Then I can run a tonneau cover and don't need a topper.
Nice so it works with a Ford too. I could probably fit a bigger kennel if needed also. As a side note, my dad just purchased a new Chevy 2500 crew cab and I think kennels for a 100 pound lab would fit in that back seat.

Update from the OP - I ended up calling around on a number of Suburbans and nobody was willing to negotiate on them. Feeling a bit discouraged, I picked my son up from daycare one day and asked him if I should get another vehicle like the one I had (a Tahoe) or if I should get a pickup truck. He told me I should get a truck and deep down I wanted a truck so I was excited to have his support - I told him to tell his mom that immediately when we got home.

I ended up buying a 2018 Ram half-ton, crew cab with the 5'7" bed. I have really liked it so far. Kid-proofed the hell out of it (seat cover for the back and protection for the backside of the front seats) and it is going to work. Now I'm on the hunt for a topper. Spoke with Line-X who offer Unicover toppers and Radco who offer LEER or their house-brand toppers. Both run about $2K - $2,500.

Anybody here with a strong preference on toppers? And is it required to kennel dogs if they're in the bed under a topper or is it just ideal? They never bounced around too much in the back of the Tahoe so I'm wondering how much different it would be in the bed of the truck.

Update from the OP - I ended up calling around on a number of Suburbans and nobody was willing to negotiate on them. Feeling a bit discouraged, I picked my son up from daycare one day and asked him if I should get another vehicle like the one I had (a Tahoe) or if I should get a pickup truck. He told me I should get a truck and deep down I wanted a truck so I was excited to have his support - I told him to tell his mom that immediately when we got home.

I ended up buying a 2018 Ram half-ton, crew cab with the 5'7" bed. I have really liked it so far. Kid-proofed the hell out of it (seat cover for the back and protection for the backside of the front seats) and it is going to work. Now I'm on the hunt for a topper. Spoke with Line-X who offer Unicover toppers and Radco who offer LEER or their house-brand toppers. Both run about $2K - $2,500.

Anybody here with a strong preference on toppers? And is it required to kennel dogs if they're in the bed under a topper or is it just ideal? They never bounced around too much in the back of the Tahoe so I'm wondering how much different it would be in the bed of the truck.

Congrats on the purchase. I think you'll like the truck better. I know I like mine better than the SUV I had before.

And myself, Ive never had my dogs loose in the back under the topper. I just feel better with them kenneled up. Can you fit your kennels in your back seat on your Ram? I mentioned before that's my preference.

Also regarding toppers, I'm younger and hated toppers haha I kept telling my dad and uncle (who are topper guys) that I'd never get one. I had a tonneau cover on my truck for 2 years. Finally after having to pack things just right and not bring some gear because I didn't have the room, I broke down and got my topper. I think it's worth it myself if you hunt. You just have so many options, I haven't yet but am planning some trips where I'll set up a cot in the back and sleep under my topper. I'd need a tent if I didn't have the topper.

Also, I have a Leer topper. It ran me $2300 for it with the "old school" side windows that slide but the frameless back window. I got mine at Radco and would recommend Radco if you go Leer. They gave me alot more freebies than other brands. Free carpet headliner add on, free prop switch (so the inside light turns on automatically when your topper door opens) and a free power locks that program with my factory remote lock.

Now I'm on the hunt for a topper. Spoke with Line-X who offer Unicover toppers and Radco who offer LEER or their house-brand toppers. Both run about $2K - $2,500.

I was on the fence for a topper for years simply because I didn't like the look. Have had one for about 4 years now and it's the best purchase I've made - both hunting wise but even when using the truck for family trips. When we load up as a family, we can stuff so much stuff back there under the topper without having to worry about wind, rain, snow, bungee cords, ratchet straps, etc. And then hunting wise, I can keep all my gear, dog, etc. in there and not really have to worry about theft or spending time organizing the gear and packing up each time I head out. It's all right there.

I can't tell you much about specific brands and what the differences are. I've had 2 different (but nearly identical) ARE toppers and they've treated me well.

It can get hot under the topper, air flow is a must unless it's below freezing. I have an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer in my topper. It is always about 20-40 degrees warmer in the topper than the air temp on a sunny day that's 50-80 degrees outside. Cloudy days maybe 10 degrees warmer. 30-50 degree sunny days, maybe 10 degrees warmer. Below freezing, maybe 5-10 degrees warmer on sunny days. Airflow is crucial in keeping those temps down. A front slider window and sliding side windows are a must. I would also recommend the side windows be "windoors" to open up for easy access.

Carpet interior - certainly nice to have, any material between the topper and the outside elements will help with the temp difference, plus it looks nice. I would recommend, but it's not a must have if trying to save cost.

Lights - Most will come with a standard light option, can easily add some LED rope lights or something on your own too.

Dog Kennel - I would always recommend to crate them... think if you slam on the breaks, your dog is going to become a 40-90lb (depending on breed) flying torpedo in the back of that bed with up to 5'7" of distance to increase speed and slam into. To me, a dog kennel is the equivalent of putting my kids in a car seat. I get why people love their 4 legged companion riding shotgun, but what happens when a car pulls out in front of me and I go from 60 to 0 real quick and my dog flies through the front windshield? I'd rather have them secure in their kennel in the bed of the truck, where there are only moving a few inches inside that.

I have a soft topper and love it . I got a solid panel for the rear window so it has no windows other then the one behind the cab. My experience with it having no windows is it’s cooler under it than the outside temperature. Will see this summer but I’ve had it during some 80 degree days in the fall. You do need need kennels it’s a fairly rough ride in the back of a pickup. I drive a 3/4 ram and have changed springs and shocks to try soften it up a bit for my dogs. I also have a stall mat under their kennels to absorb a little bit of the shock

Congrats on the purchase. I think you'll like the truck better. I know I like mine better than the SUV I had before.

And myself, Ive never had my dogs loose in the back under the topper. I just feel better with them kenneled up. Can you fit your kennels in your back seat on your Ram? I mentioned before that's my preference.

Also regarding toppers, I'm younger and hated toppers haha I kept telling my dad and uncle (who are topper guys) that I'd never get one. I had a tonneau cover on my truck for 2 years. Finally after having to pack things just right and not bring some gear because I didn't have the room, I broke down and got my topper. I think it's worth it myself if you hunt. You just have so many options, I haven't yet but am planning some trips where I'll set up a cot in the back and sleep under my topper. I'd need a tent if I didn't have the topper.

Also, I have a Leer topper. It ran me $2300 for it with the "old school" side windows that slide but the frameless back window. I got mine at Radco and would recommend Radco if you go Leer. They gave me alot more freebies than other brands. Free carpet headliner add on, free prop switch (so the inside light turns on automatically when your topper door opens) and a free power locks that program with my factory remote lock.
It sounds like I could get a couple smaller kennels and it would work to put them in the backseat. One of my vizslas is kind of huge so I'm not sure how well he will fit in a smaller kennel like that but I am going to find out! Thanks for the idea.

It sounds like I could get a couple smaller kennels and it would work to put them in the backseat. One of my vizslas is kind of huge so I'm not sure how well he will fit in a smaller kennel like that but I am going to find out! Thanks for the idea.
Yeah take some measurements of the space between the back of your driver seat and the back seats folded up (I'm assuming Rams seats also fold like my Chevy). You could also put them behind the passenger seat if you need more room and make your passenger lose some leg room haha

Mine are about 50 pounds so they fit well and I can stack the kennels on top of each other. Keep in mind too, you can get away with a slightly smaller kennel for a truck ride then you would want in your house. I have kennels in my house that stay in the house, and kennels that are just for truck travel that stay in the garage.

Back