Kansas Trespassing Fee for Private Land

Birdman2

Guys,

I am looking for private ground to hunt in Kansas for Quail and Pheasants. Typically I always hunt by myself with one dog. For the guys that want to give me a lecture about paying a trespassing fee. Please, please no lectures. Farmers deserve to make monies for their resources. Private ground in KS is hard to come by. I have references. I would like to come out one time in January. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

68 years old. I respect all fences, gates, cattle, etc
Hunted for 62 years

I would buy a browns township map and just ask for permission. Most everyone will let you hunt pheasants here, especially late in the year. That and get a WIHA atlas. I doubt anyone is going to tell you their hunting spots. Do the work yourself. Your not going to run into many fences, gates, or cattle pheasant hunting. Private ground is very easy to come by in Kansas when it comes to pheasants.

Money for wildlife access. This is where it began with deer in Kansas in the 90s. Now look at it, unless your lucky enough to have family, good luck gaining access anywhere for less than a few thousand. I hope and pray in 10 years I can afford to get my 1 year old son into any type of hunting on a normal blue collar salary.

Your initial post shows that you know the overall belief of paying to play on this site. Put in the time and miles and you will find access and birds.

Money for wildlife access. This is where it began with deer in Kansas in the 90s. Now look at it, unless your lucky enough to have family, good luck gaining access anywhere for less than a few thousand. I hope and pray in 10 years I can afford to get my 1 year old son into any type of hunting on a normal blue collar salary.Y

Your initial post shows that you know the overall belief of paying to play on this site. Put in the time and miles and you will find access and birds.
Yep easier to throw down the coin versus putting in some work to find permission to hunt. I don't mind out of state hunting, I do it myself. But it is sickening when they come in and lease it all up for deer hunting. Maybe deer will become extinct and land will open up.

What I have found about Kansas is, the farther east you go the easier it is to get permission. I hunt the western edge of the flint hills region and have had no trouble gaining access to bird hunt, or hunt anything for that matter. Its amazing what some choice Kentucky bourbon and a few steak dinners will get you. I started knocking on doors and making phone calls in 2008, I now have access to more private ground than I can hunt in one trip, probably two trips for that matter. Its not easy to get the courage up to stop and ask, but really the worst that can happen is they say no.

That's a good way to stir the pot. Once the pay to play game starts it won't end. Kansas will turn into the Dakotas, Texas, Wyoming, etc, etc. Yep a great way to piss a lot of good people off.

Unfortunately I am 16 hours away from the better part of the state for hunting. I was just looking for some land to pay a daily access fee. Simple as that. I hunted Whia land when u didn't see any other hunters and there were birds on most tracts. As u know public ground is now beat to death.

Unfortunately I am 16 hours away from the better part of the state for hunting. I was just looking for some land to pay a daily access fee. Simple as that. I hunted Whia land when u didn't see any other hunters and there were birds on most tracts. As u know public ground is now beat to death.
Well on that beat to death land a resourceful hunter can still harvest quite a few birds .

If you would rather not put the work in driving around and asking for permission I would be happy to recommend a preserve or two that would have good birds and be pretty close to hunting wild ones .

You don’t have anything to apologize for as it was a pretty simple request.

You would use the same approach to acquire land to pay a daily access fee as you for getting permission, "You Ask"!!!!! If you are looking for the easy way, most are not going to help you. Get out and ask like the rest of us do. The Browns Township Maps are your best friend for gaining access whether you want to hunt for free or pay.

Contact Rader Lodge, a link to their website is on the homepage of this site. They have places that they own/lease that they’ll let people hunt, unguided with their own dogs, for a daily fee.

Ok but why not just find a piece that you want to hunt, find out who owns it and just ask? It's just that simple.

I can empathize. A great (and growing, over time) number of good people don't have the luxury that others may. Many work very hard, long hours for a living AND live far away from decent bird hunting so it is pretty much pay to play, or hunt little to none. Especially if you just don't care for tame birds. Best luck to you, sir.

KSnative I guess I’m confused. So due to living far away it’s not possible to get online and scout or pick up a walk in hunting map to scout like everyone else? Instead pay someone else or go get into a bidding war with others who live a long ways away to lease up a large amount of property for your one hunt that way locals and other people who can’t afford to do so Is SOL?
My personal decision is to live in upland country because it is a priority to me and my family and part of my heritage that I would like to pass onto the next generation. By making that decision, I choose to sacrifice other places... high wages, nice condos, etc... I have nothing against out of state hunters or any hunters in general. I believe it is lifestyle that should be available to all who choose to enjoy it. The problem is as stated earlier by myself and others is when that heritage is bidded or sold to the highest bidder not allowing the people who choose to still live in this great state or other locations who can’t afford to enjoy it. I’m originally from SEK and that has became an extension of Texas or other completely commercialized states. There is no access for any hunting just due to pay to play and deer leases.

Last edited:
KSnative I guess I’m confused. So due to living far away it’s not possible to get online and scout or pick up a walk in hunting map to scout like everyone else? Instead pay someone else or go get into a bidding war with others who live a long ways away to lease up a large amount of property for your one hunt that way locals and other people who can’t afford to do so Is SOL?
My personal decision is to live in upland country because it is a priority to me and my family and part of my heritage that I would like to pass onto the next generation. By making that decision, I choose to sacrifice other places... high wages, nice condos, etc... I have nothing against out of state hunters or any hunters in general. I believe it is lifestyle that should be available to all who choose to enjoy it. The problem is as stated earlier by myself and others is when that heritage is bidded or sold to the highest bidder not allowing the people who choose to still live in this great state or other locations a can’t afford to enjoy it. I’m originally from SEK and that has became an extension or Texas or other completely commercialized states. There is no access for any hunting just due to pay to play and deer leases.
You aren't confused. Neither am I. You got it right - it is your personal decision not to do pay-for hunts, just as it the decision of others to pay where that is their best option, or they think it is. Like you, I dislike the ongoing commercialization (not a new trend, if you hadn't noticed) and yes, Texas is a good example of where we are all headed unless population trends take a sharp U-turn. But like it or not, we don't have a constitutional right to hunt, and not everyone chooses - or in many instances, could choose - the same tradeoffs you have. At 68 years of age and far away from KS great WIHAs - if I read correctly - I'd guess Birdman2 needs every edge he can get to enjoy a few more years of our great sport.
God bless him, and you too.

I hunt on 8 farms in South Dakota. How did I get so many farms to hunt on? I worked very hard to get them. I stopped in July and knocked on
doors as well as asked in LATE season by stopping in with one vehicle and no more than one other hunter. I believe its imperative that the farmer knows you hunt alone or with only one other hunter. I only hunt with one other person and we rarely hunt the same farm more than one or two days, max. Also ask for a small parcel to hunt, not the entire farm. Stopping at a farm is not an intimidating thing. Sure you are going to
run in to a few grumpy old men, but for the most part you are dealing with salt of the earth, honest, hard working people. Don't be afraid to ask
the wife permission to hunt. After all, she is the boss. The whole point I am making is pheasant hunting is worth the time and effort to find a farm or two to hunt on. BTW-I do not "pay" to hunt on any of these farms. I do send them nice gifts at Christmas and their birthdays, but that's
all.

I live 900 miles away from the "best" pheasant areas; been going to South Dakota every year since 2003. For 15 years I was President of a small rural bank. Most of our lending was to farmers and since I have 40+ years of ag lending experience, including the debacle of the 1980's, I got to know them pretty well. I still would rather lend to farmers than anyone else on earth. My best year around home (Indiana) was 1995, when I was able to take 36 wild roosters and 21 quail. Not too bad for Indiana at that time. But the CRP ran out when corn hit $7 and I don't blame farmers for doing anything legal they have to do to survive. My job was demanding. I'm retired but I still don't have the time, nor do i have the inclination, to screw around with a lot of electronics and waste time (which is money!) and gas running around backroads I'm not familiar with. I can take "long walks" at home; when I go west, I want to shoot birds and don't mind paying for the honor, and it IS an honor, to shoot wild ones. I have a good dog, I can walk, and I can shoot. Each to his, or her, own. Retirement is about doing what YOU want to do.

Im glad there are some that understand where I am with bird hunting. I would prefer to see a few birds each day with an opportunity to shoot a few. I do appreciate your suggestions also. I posted up a thread here a few years ago similar to this one. The majority said similar things as in this thread. Good news though. I had a very generous land owner invite me to hunt his place for a reasonable fee. For several years now I have hunted his place for parts of a couple days. His place has birds and it make my trip more enjoyable. To boot he is a very nice guy. Merry Christmas.

Back