How's Your Season Going?

gjw

Hey all, just curious to see how folks are doing so far this year. Been a bit of an odd one for us. Most of the prime areas we hunt are either underwater, have a lot of standing crop or the weather has played havoc with getting to them.

I haven't shot one yet this year. My son Jim and I went out yesterday and he was the hot gun, he got two (should have got one more, oh well!). A couple of the areas we have done well in past just haven't produced yet. The roads are drying out for the most part, but many are still sloppy, been too cold and cloudy for them to really dry out fast.

Kind of reminds me of last year. Guess we'll see what happens after Deer season.

Good Luck to you all!

Greg

Pretty good so far...actually ahead of last year. However, as you water and crop everywhere. At our place we had 16.5 inches of rain in September.

Been doing real well. Have gotten our share of birds and got to experience some incredible gundog work from the Butt Sisters (Betty, Boogie, and Jetta) and Harley...

I have not hunted much yet.I've gotten a few roosters, a few sharptails, and had some great weather.Now, there is snow, but i think it will melt.

Nice hunt.That looks like the Gregory area.
We camped in Wishek at the city park. They have two places to camp in town and the city park is nicer than the one north of the highway. Ate breakfast at the big screen bar and grill. Hunted to the east toward Oakes. Water all over the place. Nice grocery store in Wishek.

went on a solo trip in the Mott area, and has access to private land. The hunting was tough, that said poor shooting did handicap me more than the bird population.

many areas that have traditionally harbored birds on the farm i hunt was virtually devoid, but in the edge of the corn, WHICH THERE is Tons of acreages standing, held very decent numbers of birds.

My advice when harvest progresses , and if fall stays dry, go after corn harvest , i think you will have decent hunting .

Just got back from Central ND. Worst trip in last 12 years. Had fun but numbers were low , standing water was high. Standing crops everywhere. Was tough for sure. Had one decent shot and a Hail Mary at two roosters. Didn't see a hen. Saw one rooster along the road in 5 days. Id say will be better when crops are off.

Just got back from Central ND. Worst trip in last 12 years. Had fun but numbers were low , standing water was high. Standing crops everywhere. Was tough for sure. Had one decent shot and a Hail Mary at two roosters. Didn't see a hen. Saw one rooster along the road in 5 days. Id say will be better when crops are off.

No question the birds are taking full advantage of the standing crops. Once they come off, the birds will disperse to adjacent cover and become easier to hunt. I have a 1 acre sorghum plot at my place and it holds birds every day. When I take the dogs and walk up the driveway to get the mail, they pretty much always flush anywhere from two to six birds out of it. Even though there are lots of hens around, for some reason mostly roosters hang out in it. Before you ask, my wife has decreed that I can't shoot the "yard" birds. The dogs can flush them, though. Here's pic of Jetta, Harley, and Boogie hunting for birds in the plot. Next year I plan to plant almost to the driveway, should be about 3 acres total. Rather till it up & plant it once in the spring than mow the grass all summer...

Last edited:
Out west it started snowing pretty hard before midnight (11-09-19), still coming down good at 0750 Sunday morning. If the wind comes up a bit more, it will be blizzard conditions. I'm guessing a good 3" on the ground and no sign it's letting up. This looks like it might stay awhile...

Back