What is the best mix for removing skunk juice?

Bob Peters

I'm inquiring of those who have had to deal with it in the field before. Just trying to prep before the fall hunting season(which already started). There's some you can mix yourself, and there's also some you can buy online premade.

thanks in advance

I've had more encounters with skunks than I care to remember. Nothing totally removes the odor but this recipe works very well and is the best I've found. It has to be mixed immediately before use.

Skunk Smell Remover Recipe
1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tsp. dish detergent

There are also some over the counter products that come in a spray bottle that do help and are easier to use in the field that will get you home where you can mix up the above recipe. I carry a spray bottle of "Skunk Plus" with me in the vehicle. It's made by Pets Rule. Haven't had to use it yet so can't testify as to how it works.
http://www.cleancontrol.com/project/pets-rule-skunk-plus/

I'm inquiring of those who have had to deal with it in the field before. Just trying to prep before the fall hunting season(which already started). There's some you can mix yourself, and there's also some you can buy online premade.

thanks in advance

One of my labs thinks nothing is more fun than grabbing a skunk and shaking the h%$# out of it :mad:

Found the best for me :

Commercial—-Skunk Off
Just as good if not even better—
Hydrogen Peroxide-Dawn dish soap—lemon/lime juice (citric acid) — RINSED -REPEAT-REPEAT-REPEAT
After the wash and rinse cycle—and dog is dry—I treat with baking soda—and brush in and through -repeat as necessary-

After all that you will not get it all especially if your dog gets wet-faint smell can still be there:mad::rolleyes:
JMO—and what works the best after much experience over the years-

I've had more encounters with skunks than I care to remember. Nothing totally removes the odor but this recipe works very well and is the best I've found. It has to be mixed immediately before use.

Skunk Smell Remover Recipe
1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tsp. dish detergent

There are also some over the counter products that come in a spray bottle that do help and are easier to use in the field that will get you home where you can mix up the above recipe. I carry a spray bottle of "Skunk Plus" with me in the vehicle. It's made by Pets Rule. Haven't had to use it yet so can't testify as to how it works.
http://www.cleancontrol.com/project/pets-rule-skunk-plus/

The hydrogen peroxide mix works decent. Probably easiest to just throw any collar away that's made from cloth or leather.

Our group seems to run into a skunk or four every year. This is our "battle plan".

In the truck, we keep a couple of rolls of paper towel, a box of nitrile exam gloves and a bottle of Skunk Off Soaker (8 oz) So we glove up, wipe down with paper towel and use this stuff. Then we head back to base operations.

[SKUNK OFF SOAKER - "To use, first wipe off any excess skunk spray. Then saturate the main area where the skunk has sprayed with the Skunk off Liquid Soaker Work in the solution thoroughly. Allow the area to dry. "].

Once at base, we do the Dawn/Peroxide/Baking Soda treatment. Thoroughly. Depending on the hit, we may do it twice.

After that, we shampoo the dog with Thornell Skunk-Off Pet Shampoo, sudsing up and letting it sit a while. Then rinse and dry.

[SKUNK OFF SHAMPOO - "Shake bottle before using. Work shampoo into coat. Make certain that the shampoo has reached skin level and that all areas have been covered, including eye lids, between the toes, and all other seemingly obscure areas. (There is no way to tell where the skunk spray has reached.) it is recommended that a minimum of 4 ounces (one half bottle) be used. Rinse thoroughly then dry as usual. "]

This works better than anything else we've tried. Yep, when they get wet again, there's the faint whiff of skunk still present. Goes away after a while.

I agree with Gatzby; just throw the collars away. I've had cloth, leather and synthetic; never gotten the smell out of any of them.

I get the Skunk Off stuff from Amazon using Prime. Can replenish in 2 days while we are in SD if necessary. (I'm sure most of you know you can designate a charity at Smile.Amazon.com (It will be the same a your Amazon account). My charity is the 2nd Amendment Foundation. You can choose from over one million eligible 501(c)(3) public charitable organizations.

I have also used Tecnu Original Outdoor Skin Cleanser. It is known for removal of poison ivy, oak and sumac oil. But, it does help on skunk spray.

I used the dawn/peroxide/baking soda in the field. Then I follow up with Tecnu and Skunk Off shampoo as the 2nd and 3rd treatment back at base camp.

Back