crops aren't getting planted

Talked to my friend today. Very little corn got planted by the insurance date. Not sure they'll be able to get the beans in by that date. Looking like a lot of cattle fodder probably going in late, sorghum, cane. Pastures looking pretty good compared to the last three years. ALL the sloughs full and/or flowing. Streams running across acres where there were not streams before.

Some concern about the tariff relief problem due to the last few years being well below average harvest due to the drought. So figuring what base they are going to use is a big question.

When this thread began on May 13, Dec corn was at $3.88 per bu. Today we're at $4.50 per bu, the price increase largely attributable to planting delays. Feels like Mr. Farmer is going to ignore the insurance date and plant corn.
There will be some prevent plant in flooded areas but the market is buying corn acres on a daily basis. Here's hoping for a late freeze.

Spoke with 2 farmers in the last day. One got all their corn in and almost done with beans. Same one that had half in 10 or so days ago. Small area that has been missing some of the precip. The other farther south and west just got started on beans. Finished wheat last Sunday so way later. Doesn’t raise corn. Said neighbors going hard today on corn now. The increase in price is going to keep the corn planters rolling later than normal I would say. Also coupled with the weak outlook for beans there just isn’t a lot of incentive to make the switch. I would expect China will not be a player like normal for beans as they usually are due to ASF and the reduction of their swine numbers. Lots going on driving decisions beyond just the weather.

Very little corn is going to get planted in a very large swath of SD...wish it weren't true..that's precisely why the price keeps rising, the market realizes the supply isn't going to be there. as of 5/26, 25% of SD corn has been planted, vs 5 year average at the same time of 90%...much of the state isn't getting any corn in. When things get precarious financially, the last thing lots of farmers want to do--or would even consider doing--is risk it by forgoing the crop insurance. Lots of farmers are going to go down, unfortunately...again, hope that isn't true....but it is where we are probably headed.

Last edited:
Despite all the rain, the weather for the “peak” hatch �� of June 10th is looking good. The first hatch is the most important and if conditions are good the most chicks are hatched. Fingers crossed the weather outlook continues to be favorable.

Despite all the rain, the weather for the “peak” hatch �� of June 10th is looking good. The first hatch is the most important and if conditions are good the most chicks are hatched. Fingers crossed the weather outlook continues to be favorable.

Hope so...I looked at the forecast for my areas and it was about 10 degrees cooler for the highs and the lows than is normal, right around the 8th-10th....and a couple days of rain. I suspect some, maybe many, hens may have had to delay their nesting attempts in May due to the water...maybe that isn't an option...either way, it could always be worse! Fingers crossed!!!!!!!

44% of the corn is planted in SD from yesterday’s report. IMO next weeks numbers will be key. Here in OH we were at 33% so even worse. If the weather cooperates I think guys will push on to June 10-12 to still put corn in. Average at this point for SD is 96% so not even half. I am gonna optimistically guess that will see about 60-65% of normal get planted. Fingers crossed for a dry spell here over the next week.

44% of the corn is planted in SD from yesterday’s report. IMO next weeks numbers will be key. Here in OH we were at 33% so even worse. If the weather cooperates I think guys will push on to June 10-12 to still put corn in. Average at this point for SD is 96% so not even half. I am gonna optimistically guess that will see about 60-65% of normal get planted. Fingers crossed for a dry spell here over the next week.

looks good for the next four days, then a chance of rain saturday, followed by some dry weather...good to hear from some of my farmer buddies that they started putting some corn in over the weekend where they could...not a lot, mind you, but it is a start...

looks good for the next four days, then a chance of rain saturday, followed by some dry weather...good to hear from some of my farmer buddies that they started putting some corn in over the weekend where they could...not a lot, mind you, but it is a start...

I haven’t looked at the weather so that’s great there is a dry window. They will go full out and get a decent amount done I bet.

Traded text with two of my contacts today and both finished with corn and working on flowers and beans. One was a touch short on corn acres but said in the area a lot of corn was getting in the ground. Hopeful next weeks crop report may be better than I thought. Fingers crossed.

We got about a third of our corn in. We are done with corn and we don't do beans. We did not get to plant any wheat this year. We will plant a lot of forage when it gets dry enough.

We got about a third of our corn in. We are done with corn and we don't do beans. We did not get to plant any wheat this year. We will plant a lot of forage when it gets dry enough.

What is the world coming to when it’s too wet to do anything in South Dakota.

Here in NW Iowa I have had three full days to work. Otherwise it’s been a morning here, an afternoon there. Can’t get much done that way.

Talked to three more today. Two got 95% done and one got 40% of corn in. Did hear from one that two of the neighbors took prevent planting on a total of 12-13 quarters.

SD is at 64% of the corn crop planted. Way behind normal but considering how wet eastern and south eastern part of the state is I would say getting 2/3’s in is pretty darn good and there will be almost normal stands in some parts of the state. Not sure if that number will end up going much above 70 as I would expect most to have stopped putting corn in at this point. Will be interesting to see what the bean numbers end up finishing at.

As expected flowers way behind also. Will be interesting to see how many of those get in the ground. To say the least it will be an interesting year for sure. ND was much closer to normal so that may end up being an option for some people??? We will be in SD and what ever it is like will be appreciated and enjoyed.

What will be interesting is how late the harvest will be. If it is a late harvest and they are predicting a cool summer the corn could be standing awhile.

78% of the corn crop planted as of Sunday. Better than I would have expected. Agree with Haymaker that harvest will likely be on the later side. Guessing the higher commodity prices gave guys the incentive to keep planting corn later than normal. Flowers were 56% planted which is only 17% behind last years numbers so not too far off. Hopefully the on going hatch is finding success and by November we will all forget about this talk about weather and planting and just enjoy the bird hunting!

They definitely shifted to shorter maturity corn, so harvest could be normal, I guess weather will dictate. Normally they are after beans first, but since a lot of beans didn't get planted, the corn could get harvested earlier than we would expect...I hope it sits later to give the birds a place to hide. My land has no corn planted adjacent to it this year, normally it has corn on 2 sides, but it was too wet. My farmer buddy who normally plants 2000 acres of corn got about 800 acres planted...about the norm for the area I do most of my hunting. No matter, it will be a fun fall! My pup will be 6 months old when I depart for my first sharptail hunt in ND...can't wait! Was just up there for a funeral, it looks really good...they were spared all the wet weather and blizzards and such...in fact, they are still dry...fwiw, in the areas that did get corn planted, a good amount of those acres will not be harvestable due to the wet conditions...the actual crop that is put in bins will be less than what one would expect after factoring that in.

Last edited:
Back