Raise out of state fees!!

AteUp

Watched an out of state group slaughter a 12-15 bird covey this afternoon.
Need to either raise fees or have two 5 day periods like other states. I know everyone is not like that
bur seen it enough to know to many are.

Maybe quail shouldn’t open on the west side on the pheasant opener when there are big groups.... like it used to be.

I don’t think this is just a non res issue.

Sunday morning I heard about a dozen quick shots all at once. Now, they could have been planted but I doubt it. I agree that it isn’t right, but I also don’t like the idea of armies sweeping across WIHA after roosters but that’s just my opinion...

Last edited:
Like the Dakotas: only residents can hunt public/walk in for first week or so.

Two five day periods and out of state hunters don’t get to hunt until the following weekend. I know the quail took a big hit last year. I saw out of state plates late in to January hunting quail.

Also quail hunting should be stopped after 3pm each day. On those cold nights birds need to covey back up for warmth and security. Got into a lengthy argument about that with some guy from Maine I think it was on one of the forums last year. He just did not believe they relied on each other for warmth!

I think our of state fees are to high. Especially for bird hunting. How many people do you think come in to visit family for Thankgiving or Christmas and go ahead and hunt a couple of hours in the afternoon without a license, others would like to but sit it out. Either way it's a lost license, P-R funds.100 dollar bill is too much. Push the quail opener back to Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
People that will completely shoot out a covey will do so regardless of whether they are on a 1 day/2 day/5day/10 day/all season license.

It's not the length (or cost) of the license that prevents (or causes) this behavior.

Nor is it the home state of the shooter.

Jus my .02.

People that will completely shoot out a covey will do so regardless of whether they are on a 1 day/2 day/5day/10 day/all season license.

It's not the length (or cost) of the license that prevents (or causes) this behavior.

Nor is it the home state of the shooter.

Jus my .02.

a normal gut reaction......raising more money won't fix this, and it's unfair to us who conduct ourselves appropriately.

The state on the license plate has little to do with being a slob hunter. I have known plenty residents that are more interested in #'s killed vs what that may do to a covey. I do believe in raising fees, perhaps in the form of an upland stamp, but across the board on all licenses. Maybe it could go for food plots on walk in, or to pay extra for a guy that agrees to enroll CRP and not hay it no matter what. If we want to make this work, eventually we are going to have to put a little skin in the game and quit wishing it will get better. Face it if I can't afford 50-60 bucks for a license and a stamp I probably can't afford to hunt, and should spend my time working.

That is true carptom but I also think that there are lots of out of staters who come here once or twice and really don’t care what they do. After all, they only hunt here a couple of times a year at most.

I still think they should keep opening weekend for residents or lifetime hunting license holders only.

If they used the money to add quality land to WIHA I would be infavor of doubling the license fee I’m a NR

I don’t like the resident only first week rule, in ND the locals pound the heck out of Plots that week then move on to their privatel posted lands. I also think there should be a 100.00 WIHA stamp so the people hunting it foot the bill

:cheers:yes sir we non residents we are going to catch all the fish, kill all the game and steal your women. oh and spend a 1.75.

AteUp, it kinda sounds like you are pouting a bit. Did the out of state hunters find your hunting spot? I have been an out of state hunter for close to 35 years now. I rather enjoy paying my out of state fees and coming to Kansas to hunt and help boost the local economies. In my opinion, It's a matter of hunting ethics and conservation practices. Some people don't understand these concepts, whether they are from out of state or not. Raising fees and waiting periods won't do a damn thing. Do not categorize all out of state hunters as trigger happy meat hungry feather whores!

Number of shots fired are seldom an indication of birds killed. Most of the guys I've seen shooting at quail could dump a box of shells and never hit a bird.

Now if you really wanted to restrict non-residents just limit them to 10 shells a day and H&R single shooters.

It wouldn't hurt to have the state write a small article on hunting ethics and put it in the wiha map booklet.

If we want to make this work, eventually we are going to have to put a little skin in the game and quit wishing it will get better.

Amen. Pheasants and quail have very little economic value to a producer. Thus, the needs of pheasants and quail get very little consideration from MOST producers. It is important to note that this is not a blanket statement. The producers who participate in this forum and surely many others who don't participate do consider the needs of pheasants and quail. They are just the minority.

Until we are willing to give wild pheasants and quail economic value sufficient to get the attention of producers, nothing will change.

Back