Meet the New Burn Boss

Nice photo's Chris!!!! Does the fire flush some birds? Did you see any signs of nest initiation yet? I bet at times it gets a bit scary when it starts to run and you scramble to keep her contained where you want it..Looks like you had some nice breaks..:10sign:

Nice tractor you have there. Is that yours?

Nice photo's Chris!!!! Does the fire flush some birds? Did you see any signs of nest initiation yet? I bet at times it gets a bit scary when it starts to run and you scramble to keep her contained where you want it..Looks like you had some nice breaks..:10sign:

Blue,

yes we usually push some critters out. And yes the fires can get downright violent sometimes depending on wind and fuel load.

The breaks are a must have and allows us to mitigate a lot of risk.

New Nomex Shirt and a new drip torch!! So are those the mandatory CRP burns that I have been hearing the guys around here doing?? Sounds like some of the new CRP contracts require burning every so often.

New Nomex Shirt and a new drip torch!! So are those the mandatory CRP burns that I have been hearing the guys around here doing?? Sounds like some of the new CRP contracts require burning every so often.

3car,

with crp mid contract management you have several options to choose from of which prescribed burns could be one of them.

That will be the day when NRCS mandates you have to burn.:cheers:

3car,

with crp mid contract management you have several options to choose from of which prescribed burns could be one of them.

That will be the day when NRCS mandates you have to burn.:cheers:

I questioned one of the local landowners around here pretty hard cause I didn't believe it either. He must be wrong and probably just wants to burn it! We got a few done the other day as well. Check out our Facebook page for the photos.

https://www.facebook.com/GreatPlainsZone/

I questioned one of the local landowners around here pretty hard cause I didn't believe it either. He must be wrong and probably just wants to burn it! We got a few done the other day as well. Check out our Facebook page for the photos.

https://www.facebook.com/GreatPlainsZone/

If he signed up to have prescribed fire for his mid contract management then he would be required to burn about every 5 years.

That looks great! Please follow up with transition pics as it greens up! Rebirth of the grassland is one of my favorite things! Nice job!

Chris any pic's of the new growth and green up?:thumbsup:

The cp-37's are impressive and will see what I can do. The warm seasons wont do much until the soil warms up quite a bit. Like August:0

Yeah, 2.5 inches of snow in Goodland in the last 24 hours. I70 was closed west of Colby. The warm season grass may have to wait for a shot at sunlight!

Yeah, 2.5 inches of snow in Goodland in the last 24 hours. I70 was closed west of Colby. The warm season grass may have to wait for a shot at sunlight!

Spring!!!LOL Crazy..Still light snow here as well, but it is melting as it falls and has been for 30 hours or so.. Not as wet as the last Storm or as cold, but damn it is May tomorrow!!

Chris, when you get the chance..I don't mean to make you go out and take pic's.:cheers:

Spring!!!LOL Crazy..Still light snow here as well, but it is melting as it falls and has been for 30 hours or so.. Not as wet as the last Storm or as cold, but damn it is May tomorrow!!

Chris, when you get the chance..I don't mean to make you go out and take pic's.:cheers:

I left the farm headed for MN in what was the fiercest rain storm in some time. It would have been a interstate closer had it been snow.

Was going to try and snap one pic from the road but the rain was too much. Too wet to go out in fields. All the sloughs are full of water now which goes back to the drought of 2012 before we have seen this much water.

A good 4-8 inches in May.

The cool seasons are all looking great and the warm season stands will be black for a while like PD mentioned.

Back