my name is Cody new to pheasant hunting looking to make new hunting friends

Cody

I went pheasant hunting for my first time a couple weeks ago and loved it and I want to make it a regular thing but don't have anyone to go with. I loved everything about it. I thought it was neat watching the dogs find the birds and everything and now I'm really thinking about getting a Hunting dog. if anyone works with training their dogs that is near Rockford or anywhere around here and don't mind if I could watch that would be awesome! if any one is going hunting by themselves and wants a hunting partner I would love to go! thank you for looking and I really appreciate it

Welcome Cody!!!

Thank you mike. I live in Rockford IL . I was hunting with 2 labs it was awesome!

Welcome to the site Cody, It is good to see you started with the best breed in pheasant dogs :) Unfortunately I'm too far away in Iowa to be of any help training wise or hunt wise, but there's a lot of good guys on here and alot more good info to be had. Kevin.

Thank you Kevin. I'm looking forward to maybe meeting some people and thank you for taking the time to read my post. The labs did a great job finding the birds! I'm looking into getting an English setter.

My wife grew up with English setters. But I'm open to any hunting dog. I want to look for a dog whose already had training and experience with hunting. But I don't want to spend too much so I'm looking around. Thank you again

uh oh - this train just derailed!!:D
This may shock some of you but there aren't many quail left in this area. Meaning, they are a honest days drive away.
Labs aren't any good on grouse????? :eek::eek:

Well, let's put the train back on the tracks. :)

Every breed of hunting dog, and some breeds not thought of as hunting dogs, has its proponents. Some folks like some things, and have had experiences with some breeds, or appreciate the personalities and dispositions of specific breeds.

In a well-mannered, tolerant, and courteous group of sportsmen, these differences are applauded, but not contended.

It makes this a nice forum to visit, and in which to participate.

:thumbsup:

Thank you all, for your responses! I haven't had any luck at all trying to find any fair price dog. I hope I can get a dog for this year so I can try to do hunt in South Dakota. I'm trying to look up info on that but it's hard to just go with out knowing someone that has done it before. if anyone can give me any ideas or helpful tips I would really appreciate it! thank you to everyone that helps and hope everyone had a good New Years!

Regarding hunting in SD, utilize all the resources on line at the game and fish website. They have all kinds of data per county regarding pheasant numbers, hunters and harvest. The public land atlas is online too and this can show you areas to hunt. If you do your research you can have a very successful hunt. I would assume that there are some setter clubs in Illinois, I know there are Britt clubs, consider joining one close to you. This would be a good source for pups/dogs as well as training

Side note I have hunted in SD a couple times over the last few years and have only done my home work online and chatting with guys on here. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you I've been looking alot on line and taking a lot of notes im going to look up and see if there is any clubs by me

Welcome Cody to UPH.. Sometimes more often than it really should be, but for some reasons dogs come up for adoption or rescue..You have to be careful in your search, but if you can't afford a high priced dog it is a good option.. Some people get a new dog and something in their life suddenly changes and they have to give up their hunting dog...Sometimes they pop up on UPH... I would research a ES rescue site on the inter web or check your local hunting clubs and put the word out...Good luck on your search..It can be done..The best dog I ever owned cost me 175 bucks.:cheers:

Thank you for all you info every little bit helps me out. I'm going to just keep looking and see what I come up with. What kind of dog was the best dog you owned?

Cody, I have only had GSP's so far and each one of them is different in their own way.:cheers:

That's awesome and I no what you mean. I was a handler for a while and I had seen alot of different attitudes from dogs.

Back