Youth Pheasant Gun

Barrel length is purely a matter of preference imo and to a lesser extent shooting style. I'm a snap shooter, I pull the trigger when the butt hits my shoulder, I hardly ever mount my gun and track a bird and shoot. I love my 26" barreled double guns, if I bought a semi I would opt for a 24" barreled gun but that is just my preference.

I have started a couple boys and I would start them out with a cheap pump. I guess I am a little cheap but the thought of my twelve yr old walking around with a 1200.00 benelli makes me cringe. Not to mention if he gets unsafe you have time to duck before he pinches off three shots. Get him a 20 gauge, 28 is too specialized for a young hunter.

I am thinking along those lines as well, Carptom. I vaguely remember trying to shoot a 12ga model 11 with a barrel that seemed to go on forever. Kicked like a mule, too. The heavy nature of the gun made me disappointed in myself and was a detrimental factor for why I didn't like shotguns until I was about 18 years old. Don't want to put the wrong ju ju on my son

There is nothing wrong with a 20 or 28 for hunting pheasants IMO as long as the gun is not too heavy to pack- you carry them more than shoot them!
I am also a huge advocate of break action guns for ease of operation and safety, be the single shot, O/U, or SXS
David

That first shot gun is something that stays with you forever. Over twenty years ago I can remember my dad handing me a Browning auto 5 sweet sixteen. I was aloud one shell for three years than a second for one and finally the third after that. My dad taught me to make the first one count because you may not get a second or a third. I wish I still had that Browning.

I hear ya!!
My first upland gun was a Franchise Falconet 20 gauge
I shot a pile of pheasants , ducks, rabbits and skeet with it.
However, Dad being a company rep, it was actually a demo and went back to
C.I.L. After I left home and I have been looking recently with no luck!:(
David

My son has a Benelli Ultra Light and we both love that gun. Light easy to handle and points really well. They word great with target loads and stay clean a lot longer than gas operated autos. He did some horse trading for it an knows it is expensive so he takes really good care of it. Yesterday we ran about 200 shells through our Benellis shooting trap and not once did he complain about a sore shoulder (he is a big 11 year old). He started with a pump but at 11 a semi is just fine.

Back