Your take on a common shooting problem

Fantastic response...thanks all..I figured that we'd get a variety of opinions on a common problem. I hope that this thread helps a bunch of folks stop "one of those days" before too much damage is done to egos and frustration levels.... ;) Going out again right after Christmas, I'll let y'all know how it goes

You don't "put your head down" on the stock. You bring the stock to your face (not vice versa), then bring the butt into your shoulder. In that order! The butt should never touch your shoulder until the stock is firmly planted on your cheek. The occasional failure to have your cheek on the stock is a common mechanics error caused by mounting the gun to your shoulder, then bringing your face down to the stock. I suspect the OP is making the same mistake because people who properly mount their guns never have this problem.

Well that's not gonna work for me because I have a neck...and I shoot fine...not perfect but good enough to keep me happy.

I came back to this thread, as I have a suggestion that I have not seen, so far. And Toughshed, you should consider this, also, based on your comment.

I have had inconsistent killing seasons for the last 10 seasons. Sometimes I would kill everything I hit, and other times I would just wound the birds. Irritated the heck out of me to wound birds, instead of a clean kill.

So, for 10 seasons (I started pheasant hunting in 1970, or so, but didn't have a Colorado area until 10 years ago) I just kept beating myself up about how bad of a shot I could be, while other days it was 3 shots, 3 in the bag. I did trap and sporting clays, but still, varying results.

For the last two years I had been paying very close attention to how my gun was mounted after each shot. Bottom line, it was not consistent. I paid very close attention to the mount with most shots, but it was still inconsistent. So much for muscle memory.

So, Friday I went to a gun fitter, and had my gun fitted to me. He sanded off some of the stock by my cheek, cut 5/8" off the stock, and also sanded the stock so the butt plate hit my shoulder on the same plane as my shoulder (previously, only the inside edge of the butt plate was hitting my shoulder).

I went out yesterday, and dropped (and bagged) all three birds I shot at, two of them dead when they hit the ground. This has not happened yet, this year, and I have hunted at least one day every weekend, sometimes 3 days in a row. So, while I know it could have been perfect alignment of the planets, I have to think the gun fitting made a big difference.

So, my 2-cents towards consistent shooting is to get your gun fitted to you. It was pricey, much more than I anticipated ($350), and I may have been "taken", but my mounts are the same each time, now, even in my living room. I am looking down the rib every time I mount the gun, instead of off to the left, off to the right, high, low, or sometimes, even down the rib.

Getting a misbehaving gun fitted to you is cheaper than a new gun, and I know many of us think a new gun will make us shoot better. I have 4 guns that prove that theory doesn't work. Hope my fitting keeps working. Still have three more weekends to find out this season!

In the past, I altered my stance to make my gun fit. Lot of guys probably do this. Lots of different stances at the gun range.

This year I altered a gun to fit my upright, natural stance. Now I do not have to squat before shooting. One less thing to do.

Nice post Logical. :thumbsup: I'd be interested to hear if your consistency holds true when you get another full season under your belt.

There's no doubt that a well fitting gun will allow for more consistent gun mounts. In your case you mentioned taking 5/8 " off the LOP which is considerable. I can't help but wonder that most of your issue with the butt plate touching only the inside edge was because it was too long. What happens many times when you have a LOP that is too long, you inherently compensate by rotating the shoulder back and sometimes that means the recoil from the butt hits you on the very outside of the shoulder or bicep instead of the pocket where it should be.

Keep us posted next year or the remainder of this season if there is any, on how your hit/miss ratio continues after the fitting.

Last edited:
Crossing shot, it is interesting how long we "work" with our guns and stance, trying to make things work. I hope my fitting helps me long-term. I hope to have more opportunity in the next three weeks to see if it continues for the rest of the season.

Birdshooter, it is interesting what you said: "...and sometimes that means the recoil from the butt hits you on the very outside of the shoulder or bicep". After opening weekend, when I hunted three days and shot about 10 shots each day (hey, I said I was having trouble this season!), I noticed a bruise on my bicep. I never noticed any recoil, but obviously I was absorbing recoil there at least a few times. Maybe, I will never shoot that often in the field again, if the fitting really worked. It may show at the sporting clays range, as I always shoot from the field-carry position, and don't start with the gun mounted.

I will let you know after next weekend's hunt, if the improvement continues.

One other thing to consider that I don't recall being mentioned; have your gun at the ready. When me and the brittboy are just moving across some ground, I'll have my gun over my shoulder. Once he acts birdy, I hold my gun by the forestock and trigger, close to my chest. The quicker you point your gun, the more time you have to swing on the bird.

Very good point! I see many people walking with their gun in a non-ready carry. That gives the birds an additional 10 yards or more of escape before a gun is shouldered.

I came back to this thread, as I have a suggestion that I have not seen, so far. And Toughshed, you should consider this, also, based on your comment.

I have had inconsistent killing seasons for the last 10 seasons. Sometimes I would kill everything I hit, and other times I would just wound the birds. Irritated the heck out of me to wound birds, instead of a clean kill.

So, for 10 seasons (I started pheasant hunting in 1970, or so, but didn't have a Colorado area until 10 years ago) I just kept beating myself up about how bad of a shot I could be, while other days it was 3 shots, 3 in the bag. I did trap and sporting clays, but still, varying results.

For the last two years I had been paying very close attention to how my gun was mounted after each shot. Bottom line, it was not consistent. I paid very close attention to the mount with most shots, but it was still inconsistent. So much for muscle memory.

So, Friday I went to a gun fitter, and had my gun fitted to me. He sanded off some of the stock by my cheek, cut 5/8" off the stock, and also sanded the stock so the butt plate hit my shoulder on the same plane as my shoulder (previously, only the inside edge of the butt plate was hitting my shoulder).

I went out yesterday, and dropped (and bagged) all three birds I shot at, two of them dead when they hit the ground. This has not happened yet, this year, and I have hunted at least one day every weekend, sometimes 3 days in a row. So, while I know it could have been perfect alignment of the planets, I have to think the gun fitting made a big difference.

So, my 2-cents towards consistent shooting is to get your gun fitted to you. It was pricey, much more than I anticipated ($350), and I may have been "taken", but my mounts are the same each time, now, even in my living room. I am looking down the rib every time I mount the gun, instead of off to the left, off to the right, high, low, or sometimes, even down the rib.

Getting a misbehaving gun fitted to you is cheaper than a new gun, and I know many of us think a new gun will make us shoot better. I have 4 guns that prove that theory doesn't work. Hope my fitting keeps working. Still have three more weekends to find out this season!

Yep you are spot on. $350.00 for gun fitting is pretty cheap. If you look at serious compatition target shotguns, you will notice that they are adjustable. Why? so you can set them up to fit you. I wish you would post some pics of your newly fitted gun. I'm just curious.

I had both of my over/unders fitted and cut with one using a new kick-ez and I cost me $160 from a gun smith in the springs and he did a great quality job. I was expecting $350 but pleasantly surprised when it was a lot less. This was the first time I had gun work done so did I get a good deal or was yours high? I don't know.

Paying $100 for pad installation is reasonable.

Assume the shop rate is around $100 per hour and then add the pad cost.

I installed my own "Kick-Ezz" pad and it took about an hour. The mounting hold were different and the pad needed shaving on the sides. You'll like the pad...

Shorthair, it sounds like you had your stock cut, and a different pad attached. My fitting included re-shaping my stock where my cheek hits, both in height and in thickness. Plus, the angle on the butt of my stock was changed, then the new recoil pad was mounted. I believe I had much more work done on my gun, so the prices seem reasonable for both of us.

Logical, your right the one gun was shortened and used the same pad the other was shortened and the pitch changed with a new pad, you definitely had more work done with the re shaping.

Cowan, I took some pics last night, but they don't show anything of value. I painted the altered area the same evening, so it all blends in. The changes were not major, but they sure are noticeable in my mount.

Hey thanks for your response. It really doesn't take much of an adjustment visually to make a significant change physically. If your gun fits you properly, your shooting will be much more rewarding.

Well, this was my fourth weekend out with my "fitted" gun. Not quite the stellar results I had been having.

The first flush sent the bird to my right, which for me is a low-percentage shot. Sure enough, the bird never wobbled. Maybe I'll see him again next weekend!

Bagged my second flush, but missed (again, cleanly) the third. This one went to my left, which normally isn't a hard shot.

Missed a long left-flushing shot, but did drop a leg. Hate to hit them and not recover, but he kept going strong over a hill over a quarter-mile away.

Solid hit on the fifth flush, and also the sixth. So, three in the bag, two missed cleanly, and one cripple. I think this is still a better ratio than most of the season, so I still consider the fitting worth the money and effort.

Something to think about. How much more clothing were you wearing on your last hunt? When you had you gun fitted to you, you were in ideal conditions, I would imagine you were in a shop with just a regular shirt on. When you go hunting you are more than likely dressed in layers which adds to the length of pull and even where your head meets the comb. This will throw your sight plane and the point of impact off a little. You are just going to have to get reacquainted with your shotgun.

Au contraire, mon frere! When I had my gun fitted, I had my hunting clothing with me, so my layers were what I normally wear - silk underwear top, t-shirt, outer shirt, and light jacket. I wanted it to be accurate as to what I normally have on, so I made sure to have the clothing with me.

And, this most-recent hunt had me wearing less, as it was 58 degrees. Just a t-shirt and outer shirt most of the day, then just my t-shirt. Likely made a difference of 3/16", which probably had some impact.

Still, beats the heck out of staying in town doing chores! :D

Au contraire, mon frere! When I had my gun fitted, I had my hunting clothing with me, so my layers were what I normally wear - silk underwear top, t-shirt, outer shirt, and light jacket. I wanted it to be accurate as to what I normally have on, so I made sure to have the clothing with me.

And, this most-recent hunt had me wearing less, as it was 58 degrees. Just a t-shirt and outer shirt most of the day, then just my t-shirt. Likely made a difference of 3/16", which probably had some impact.

Still, beats the heck out of staying in town doing chores! :D

Way to think ahead!

Back