Young setter playing rough...

MNUplander90

Hey All,
I have a llewellin setter that is 16 months old right now. She was like any other high drive puppy when younger when it comes to nipping and playing rough. I worked with her when she was younger and thought I had curbed her intense nippy rough play awhile back. Just recently she has started this again once in awhile only when in the yard, really hyped and excited. I'm guessing this is just normal young dog stuff and she thinks she got her big girl pants on now and is testing us but wanted to see what you all think. This is my first bird dog and all is going great otherwise. Any suggestions on how to handle this period please let me know. I have been just trying to cut play time short before it gets to that level. FYI I am not one to smack my dog to handle this, never have and never plan too.
Thanks
MNUplander90 Rank: Just A Pup Posts: 6Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:40 pmLocation: Please ADD LOCATION

One thing that may work is to act like she has hurt you.
But you don't want to let this get out of hand.

You can also leave a leash on her when playing so that you will have more control.

But a strong NO, is a must. You may have to be a little physical to get her attention.

I would read Delamar Smith's The best way to train your bird dog .

pretty sure he would put pup on the chain gang when you d
First get her out of the Kennel .

The books speaks of how to properly use different kinds training tools to get the end result you are looking for .

Let us know what works !!!

Interesting problem. For starters, I would make sure you weren't adding to the problem. If you will keep a more level disposition, usually the dog will as well. Second, give the dog some work to do. If she is left to create the activity, she will. If you present her with a job and require her to do it. Third, no nip goes ignored. I'd keep a chord on her and when she looks to nip, I would give a sharp hiss with a jerk on the chord. If it persists, back in the pen she goes. Be persistent and consistent. Make sure you're the pack leader and you don't have to rough her up to accomplish that. She shouldn't get to do anything until told. When you go out the gate, she comes out when you tell her to. When you release her from her crate, it's not until you tell her to exit. When you feed, she eats when you release her.

With my 12 year old golden I could play fight with her anytime from day 1 to now and its all fine. With my pudel pointer she could never really handle rough play so I rarely do.

Back