Young Dog and Old Hunter in Brief Repose

BritChaser

Too cold and snowy for this bird team. The dog and I are taking a weekend off after coming back from three days of hunting in deep snow and cold, cold temps over New Years. The old hunter over-exerted himself into a cold and malaise while the young dog came back with sore paws. We solaced ourselves with some pheasant breast yesterday and today we are sharing quail with friends at a potluck. Warming temps should take down the deep snow and make our coming hunt next weekend a pleasant one.

My hounds and I are sitting this w/e out as well. They all had some "battle" wounds from New Years week and even my young hips, knees, and everything else I could cry about hurt for a few days at work this week. Like you, I expect to head out next weekend for awhile. Hopefully a good portion of the snow melts off.

FC,

Maybe we should do a combo training/hunting trip to Kansas for a few days??

Finally some nice weather here today. 25 dgrees right now and sunny. But we still have snow up the ying-yang.

Zeb

The one good thing about Kansas, the season last well into Jan. Makes me wants to be a Kansan three weeks a year. It quickly wears off after that.

Quail Potluck Presentation

Fine friend you are.

So, what what kind of preparation/presentation for this batch?

Per the request of the most vocally appreciative of quail, I pan roasted them in olive oil and butter seasoned with salt, pepper, fresh garlic and fresh rosemary.

Okay BritChaser, you left the door open. When you refer to the "old hunter", how old is old?? :)

Sixty. I see you're senior to me. [smiley face]

Last edited:
I don't know Moeller, with the way our state is deteriorating on all fronts I think Kansas would be a great place to relocate. I always joked that when the pheasants left Iowa that it would be time for me to go as well. I am to the point now that if it wasn't for the career I have here in Iowa that I would have relocated by now.

Manhattan Kansas or Tulsa, Oklahoma would both put me much closer to the incredible people and opportunities for bird hunting in the great state of Kansas. I am heading there again this weekend and I can't wait to have the boots on the ground about 30 minutes before sunrise on Friday morning.

zig zag all day

brit you better get oxygen to keep up with me my man im zigging zagging those fields all day bro where you want me bang dead bird in here sun up to sun down come on boys lets gooooo! lol

Good Hunting!

I don't know Moeller, with the way our state is deteriorating on all fronts I think Kansas would be a great place to relocate. I always joked that when the pheasants left Iowa that it would be time for me to go as well. I am to the point now that if it wasn't for the career I have here in Iowa that I would have relocated by now.

Manhattan Kansas or Tulsa, Oklahoma would both put me much closer to the incredible people and opportunities for bird hunting in the great state of Kansas. I am heading there again this weekend and I can't wait to have the boots on the ground about 30 minutes before sunrise on Friday morning.

I hope you enjoy your hunt in the great and hospitable state of Kansas, my home place on the Great Plains. Have a great hunt!

Last edited:
Wine and Quail = Wonderful Meal

(OT, but Tulsa has some surprising fishing opportunities, too.)

An elegant treatment for fine fowl. And washed down with a Missouri Chardonel?

We went through two bottles of red brought by others. Don't think either was of a Missouri vintage, but I would certainly be interested in trying some should it become available here.

Supp Oxygen Needed on Last Hunt

brit you better get oxygen to keep up with me my man im zigging zagging those fields all day bro where you want me bang dead bird in here sun up to sun down come on boys lets gooooo! lol

I could have used some supplemental oxygen last weekend, especially after cresting hills slogging through foot deep snow in CRP. Whew.

Snow Disappearing

FC,

Maybe we should do a combo training/hunting trip to Kansas for a few days??

Finally some nice weather here today. 25 dgrees right now and sunny. But we still have snow up the ying-yang.

Zeb

Hopefully about all the snow in the stalks and grass will be gone by this weekend with the warmer temps in NW.

I am just giving Kansas a hard time. Next year I might try to go down there and hunt. My wifes job keeps me in Iowa. Others wise I would be out of here.

Stud of the Field

You, sir, are obviously a total stud in the field when birds are available to be hunted, shot, and eaten by those who know the way of the pheasant and the gun.

Back