Young Boy needs an Outdoor Mentor!

PassItOn

Every now and then, I get an email from a mother telling me about how her young son or daughter would like to have someone to take them outdoors, hunting and fishing.

This last week, I received the following email:

Hello, For years now I've been looking for someone to take my son hunting. He has wanted to hunt for as long as I can remember, but no one in our family, who lives near us are hunters. He has asked his friend's fathers to take him, but they are focused on their own kids. He ha even solicited the men at the gun shops we frequent, and everyone says they will try to find someone to help him, but the years are passing him by now. This is something I want very much for him to be able to pursue. We both went through hunters safety a few years back and we are members of the (xxx shooting) facility.

Alexander is very knowledgeable about many guns, as it is his passion. He joined 4H recently so he can begin competing in trap shooting this spring. He wants to hunt anything, turkey, birds, deer, rabbit, anything he can get, but he needs to learn from someone who can teach him the specifics and how to clean the animals. We live in XXXXX, Kansas. We would truly love to find a hunting mentor for Alexander so that he can not only learn for himself, but so he may pass this amazing experience on to others.

Kind Regards,
Tammy and Alexander

Speaking with Tammy on the phone, she commented that the folks at the range have been very helpful, teaching Alexander about firearms and how to handle them safely and responsibly.

But they're still searching for someone to step up and give young Alexander a chance to go hunting.

Tammy and Alexander live in the greater Kansas City area. But there are kids like Alexander all over the country. Every community has LOTS of kids, just like Alexander, who would relish the opportunity to go hunting and fishing, but don't have anyone to take them.

That's why Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors exists...to find mentors who will spend time outdoors with kids like Alexander.

Will you be the one to make it happen for a youth in your area?

Give us a call today!

Mike Christensen
Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors, Inc.
316-290-8883
mchristensen@outdoormentors.org
http://www.outdoormentors.org

A wonderful program! When my kids are older and doing their own thing I'd like to volunteer for this. Nothing like the excitement in a kids eyes as they get ready to go hunting or fishing.

How about posting this before the season next year.
My guess is that I and some others here could help.

It's important

Get them started early. My grandfather got me started very early, and I shared that experience with my kids. One of my kids enjoys hunting, the other tried it and it just wasn't for him. I'm hoping he comes around as he gets older, but that's okay if he doesn't. My daughter enjoys going. Getting her started early was the key. Plus, having a bird cleaner doesn't suck.:thumbsup:

0Z32Yx3.jpg

I was hoping we'd find some folks in KC area who might get him out this spring...we've got turkey season coming and I'm sure the kid would probably love to go fishing, or shooting sporting clays, or .....

There are too many kids just like Alexander who need someone to take them hunting and fishing.

Today...not next season!

Mike C.

Does Riley County Fish & Game do a Spring turkey hunt? I can't remember.

I know for sure they do an annual youth deer hunt, and have kids drive from farther than KC to participate.

I'm not sure about the Riley county turkey hunt. They do a great job there with several youth events every year.

There are many groups who host youth events all across the state. The problem for this young man is they aren't connected to those opportunities. And he needs someone to show him the way. Like so many other kids all across KS and the rest of the country.

Mike C.

Put him in contact with the Quail Forever Chapter in Harrisonville, MO. I know they are planning a youth camp type deal, with a preserve bird hunt to cap off the camp.

I am the Youth Coordinator for the Heartland PF Chapter in KC. PM me for more information. We meet at Bass Pro in Independence MO.

Greatlawn

LRP,

Actually, Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors is hosting the hunt on 1/31!

We are partnering with the Ringneck Rustlers PF chapter.

The hunt is targeted for 1st time hunters. We'll start with some shotgun instruction with NSCA-certified instructors. We'll review some of their hunter ed principles. Then we'll take them to the field, 2 at a time, with mentors and guides. We'll have the birds placed in launchers. When the dogs go on point, we'll get them properly situated and then release the bird.

We're planning on another hunt just like this one for 2/28. If all goes well, we hope to offer 1/month starting in September and going thru March of next year.

Mike C.

Came across some interesting information for you to consider:

Currently, there are over 4,000 kids across Kansas waiting for a mentor. 70% of them are boys...boys who would benefit from having someone from this board spend time outdoors with them, hunting and fishing.

Kids who won't have an appreciation for nature. Kids who won't grow up respecting firearms. Kids who won't be voting for conservation and 2nd amendment rights.

Just a thought...

Mike Christensen

Are there any youth signed up for Pass it On in Iowa? As a mentor, it is just as tough to find youth wanting to get outdoors. I offer it to all of my friends/neighbors/coworkers kids and have never had any takers. I have gotten to the point where we're hosting several youth shooting and hunting events throughout the year through our PF chapter but IMO one pheasant hunt doesn't make an outdoorsmen.

PrairieBelle,

We work closely with youth mentoring organizations like Big Brothers Big Sisters. They have LOTS of youths who need mentors. These kids typically don't have much opportunity to get out and go hunting/shooting/fishing.

I agree with the statement that the one-shot-deal doesn't make a hunter. The research is backing that up as well.

That's the reason we are looking for folks to step up and become mentors, taking a kid out a couple of times/month for a year or more.

And by partnering with youth mentoring organizations who take care of the background checks and monitor the match, we have some assurance that it will be safe for both the mentor and child.

I'd be glad to put you in touch with your local BBBS agency.

Mike Christensen

Thanks for the idea about BBBS - I did not think about that. We do have a group just one county away so I will contact them and see if they are interested in setting something up. As far as I'm aware most of their mentoring is done in school (over lunch and such) but hopefully they are interested in expanding a little. There are several of us locally that don't have kids and would love the opportunity to share our love for the outdoors.

Back