Yes indeed, it can be done

I know that a 28 will do the job, but hunting over a pointing dog you get a good number of straight away shots. If you have big enough shot 6 or bigger its not much of a problem.

But I am mostly hunting quail and I tend to have 7 1/2 loads in most of the time. That is sometime not enough to get through the back of a pheasant for a clean kill.

Once I get the kids out of college, a 28 will likely be on my list to purchase. Till then it the 20s that I currently own.

Aim small, miss small, you got to quit emulating me and shooting them in the butt;). I've had to fill up a rooster with a twenty and low velocity 8 shot and still happy to have a dog to run him down and bring him back very much alive and full of fight. Late season mature birds through the feathers can sure shed shot, it's also true that there are very few true straight aways, most appear that way but are some subtle angle or another.

Whih load is most deadly,1ounce in a 20 or 1 ounce in a 28? If you look back at the post there were a few birds,4 of those birds were killed with one shot from a 28 ga CZ SxS. Scotty:cheers:

Whih load is most deadly,1ounce in a 20 or 1 ounce in a 28? If you look back at the post there were a few birds,4 of those birds were killed with one shot from a 28 ga CZ SxS. Scotty:cheers:

The real answer is 1 ounce in a 12! I have 12's which weigh less than most 28's. scale admittedly larger. I shoot 2-2 1/2 inch hulls and 7/8th ounce of shot, 1175 fps. All things being equal, 1 ounce is one ounce.

Went out again yesterday and was lucky enough to drop another rooster with my 28-ga. Red Label. Same load (1 oz. of #5s, high brass Winchester ammo).

This was a trickier shot in that the bird flushed from heavy cover and immediately leveled off, offering a quartering right-to-left chance. But real low, like he was trying to sneak off by flying under radar? He might have made it, too, had I not been a little bit taller than the cover he flew across.

In the heavy cover we'd been struggling through, I don't know how my dog visually tracked this bird on its low level flight path. But she did, and when I dropped it she marked its fall and went straight to the bird, then retrieved it to me.

(I'd have taken better photos, but we had 50 yards of weedy draw still to hunt and I was afraid any second another bird would flush inside gun range...while I'm monkeying around with a camera.)

This was my 13-month old Griffon's first-ever retrieve of a pheasant. The rooster I gunned on Tuesday (which started this thread), my buddy's Lab raced over and grabbed that one.

A certified canine nutritionist will condemn me, but on the drive home I stopped in Abilene, where my dog enjoyed half of my Burger King Whopper with fries. She's just such a GOOD GIRL!

Excellent, closerange! Good looking pup, too! I didn't fire my 28 today . . . my pup worked well on 3 hens (naturally backed on 2, pointed 1 that the seasoned dog ran by & missed); when I eased in to flush the bird, I was wondering what it was & where it was at in the scanty cover. Looked down & saw the hen not a foot from my boots. We'll give it heck tomorrow on the season finale. Hank has come a long way in his first season & he won't be a year old until late March. I'm pleased.

Aim small, miss small, you got to quit emulating me and shooting them in the butt;). I've had to fill up a rooster with a twenty and low velocity 8 shot and still happy to have a dog to run him down and bring him back very much alive and full of fight. Late season mature birds through the feathers can sure shed shot, it's also true that there are very few true straight aways, most appear that way but are some subtle angle or another.

The thing that happens to me on the straight away shots is I can't tell right away what it is. So you wait till you know it is a rooster. That's where #6 has a big advantage over 7 1/2 or 8s.

Went out again yesterday and was lucky enough to drop another rooster with my 28-ga. Red Label. Same load (1 oz. of #5s, high brass Winchester ammo).

This was a trickier shot in that the bird flushed from heavy cover and immediately leveled off, offering a quartering right-to-left chance. But real low, like he was trying to sneak off by flying under radar? He might have made it, too, had I not been a little bit taller than the cover he flew across.

In the heavy cover we'd been struggling through, I don't know how my dog visually tracked this bird on its low level flight path. But she did, and when I dropped it she marked its fall and went straight to the bird, then retrieved it to me.

(I'd have taken better photos, but we had 50 yards of weedy draw still to hunt and I was afraid any second another bird would flush inside gun range...while I'm monkeying around with a camera.)

This was my 13-month old Griffon's first-ever retrieve of a pheasant. The rooster I gunned on Tuesday (which started this thread), my buddy's Lab raced over and grabbed that one.

A certified canine nutritionist will condemn me, but on the drive home I stopped in Abilene, where my dog enjoyed half of my Burger King Whopper with fries. She's just such a GOOD GIRL!
I stop at McD and get the $1 burger plain for my dogs,
they're loving it

As you decrease the bore diameter you better decrease the shot size or you will have a motley and irregular pattern. Big shot and small bores are a poor combination. Picking and choosing shots with 7's or 7 1/2's in a sub gauge will sure do the trick, if the gunner does his part.

good point-
I can get a nice pattern at 30 and a bit beyond yards with WW Drylock 4's- wouldn't care to try it out on pointed roosters

since I'm usually taking pictures- when I put the camera away and step in- they come up kind of close:)

Thank you for mentioning the success that someone (you, I hope!) had with roosters using the CZ 28 ga. SxS.

I grew up shooting side-by-sides; consequently, they feel natural in my hands and the view looking over the barrels is something I'm now hardwired to seeing. Despite the glowing reviews I read on the Ruger Red Label while researching my purchase choice, it still was a tough decision buying a shotgun with a narrow sight plane -- even though, yes, the Red Label is technically a "double gun". This is no fault of the Red Label's, it's just something that takes a little time to adjust to if, like me, you grew up shooting side-by-sides.

At the tiime, the only gun shop I could find that carried CZs was in Lindsborg, KS (if memory serves). From where I live that's a pretty long drive, so I didn't make the trip. Ruger Red Labels weren't much easier to find on gun racks locally, but finally I did locate a used RRL and this finally allowed me to shoulder the gun, feel how it swings, how it breaks open, etc. Based on that experiment I ordered a new RRL from another gun shop.

After buying my RRL, wouldn't you know it: my very next visit to Cabela's KCK their gun department had an entire rack filled with nothing but CZ side-by-sides. And so, too late, I finally got to handle one. Point being, I can sure appreciate how you, or someone in your hunting party, nailed four roosters with a CZ 28-guage, each bird a one-shot kill. Nice work!

I'm still experimenting with loads to use in my Red Label. I went with high brass 1-oz. #5s this year. Next year, who knows? I do want to give the higher velocity rounds (1300fps) a try, especially those loaded with either nickel-plated lead pellets or high-antimony pellets. And I may drop back to 3/4 or 7/8-oz. loads of smaller pellet size.

oldandnew's comment about #7 shot size jogged my memory of three shotgunning articles written by Bill Hanus. I read these stories about ten times each before finally committing to buying a 28-guage regardless of manufacturer.

I'll try to attach links to all three stories as the information and opinions Hanus offers are relevant to your question about 28-ga. loads for pheasants.

http://www.billhanusbirdguns.com/archive15.html

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article/i-love-small-shot-Page1.htm

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article/the-light-of-pure-heresy-Page1.htm

Back