Wyoming Cast and Blast Saturday

JPH

My 15 year old son and myself decided to head to Wyoming this weekend for his final youth waterfowl hunt. Sat the 18th was also the Sage Grouse opener and fishing is always an option!

We started Saturday morning driving a few back roads to try and spot a few Sage chickens before heading off the jump shoot ducks in some proven spots. There were a surprising number of hunters out chasing chickens, I think it had something to do with the talk of closing the season on them. With no chickens spotted early we headed for the creek and the ducks. Luckily the youth waterfowl hunt is pretty low key in this area of Wyoming. My son proceeded to shoot his limit (7) of mallards and teal off the creeks and irrigation ditches in the area.(sorry no pictures of the ducks.) A surprising number of ducks were seen, all pretty brown and even a few floppers were caught by the dog and released unharmed. We then turned our attention back to the grouse.
It was mid morning so we targeted some taller brush close to water in hopes of finding some loafing grouse. My son said he had a good feeling about the first spot and he was right! Within 100 yards the dog put up 3 male Sage grouse on my side and and I quickly doubled up on the big birds making for a quick limit. This was my first chance to shoot my new Benelli UL on live targets. So far I am 2 for 2.

SANY0469-1-1.jpg

We proceded to walk many more miles of likely grouse cover without any other birds seen. Mid day we headed back to camp to take a break and cool off in the river. Fishing was slower than usual but a couple nice trout were landed.

SANY0478-1.jpg

At about 5 we decided to head out in search of Sage grouse for my son. Again we walked several likely, historically good spots with no luck. It was getting late and the day was running out. While driving down a back road we came across a group of large male grouse moving from water to roost. We watched them move into the sage and proceeded to walk them up resulting in my sons first Sage Chicken.

SANY0474-1.jpg

We tracked the flight path of the flushing flock and the chase was on. With time running out we bumped part of the flock and my son dropped his second and final bird of the day. Another good size male.

SANY0475-1.jpg

I was so happy that he finally had gotten the opportunity and scored with the grouse. He logged about 10-12 miles of walking that day and his determination paid off.

The next morning we basically packed up and drove home. This is what we saw......

SANY0486.jpg

SANY0485.jpg

A good sized range fire. Luckily it is not near any towns, though a wind farm may be in jeopardy.

It was a great weekend with my son, one I will never forget. God Bless Wyoming!

Very nice looks like you guys had a great time.:10sign: you should get one of those chickens mounted, we might not have much time to hunt them left.

JPH,
Sounds like your son is a great shot, tell him good job. Great lookin golden. whats the breeding?
brian

moellermd- flushers work fine with the chickens, just have to locate them in the sea of Sage first!

3goldens- my boy Fin is from a Steeple Hill Ranger x Jaco's Lady Sings the Blues- "Billie" breeding from Jeff Warren in Colorado. Great dog.

Last edited:
What Fun!

My 15 year old son and myself decided to head to Wyoming this weekend for his final youth waterfowl hunt. Sat the 18th was also the Sage Grouse opener and fishing is always an option!

We started Saturday morning driving a few back roads to try and spot a few Sage chickens before heading off the jump shoot ducks in some proven spots. There were a surprising number of hunters out chasing chickens, I think it had something to do with the talk of closing the season on them. With no chickens spotted early we headed for the creek and the ducks. Luckily the youth waterfowl hunt is pretty low key in this area of Wyoming. My son proceeded to shoot his limit (7) of mallards and teal off the creeks and irrigation ditches in the area.(sorry no pictures of the ducks.) A surprising number of ducks were seen, all pretty brown and even a few floppers were caught by the dog and released unharmed. We then turned our attention back to the grouse.
It was mid morning so we targeted some taller brush close to water in hopes of finding some loafing grouse. My son said he had a good feeling about the first spot and he was right! Within 100 yards the dog put up 3 male Sage grouse on my side and and I quickly doubled up on the big birds making for a quick limit. This was my first chance to shoot my new Benelli UL on live targets. So far I am 2 for 2.

SANY0469-1-1.jpg

We proceded to walk many more miles of likely grouse cover without any other birds seen. Mid day we headed back to camp to take a break and cool off in the river. Fishing was slower than usual but a couple nice trout were landed.

SANY0478-1.jpg

At about 5 we decided to head out in search of Sage grouse for my son. Again we walked several likely, historically good spots with no luck. It was getting late and the day was running out. While driving down a back road we came across a group of large male grouse moving from water to roost. We watched them move into the sage and proceeded to walk them up resulting in my sons first Sage Chicken.

SANY0474-1.jpg

We tracked the flight path of the flushing flock and the chase was on. With time running out we bumped part of the flock and my son dropped his second and final bird of the day. Another good size male.

SANY0475-1.jpg

I was so happy that he finally had gotten the opportunity and scored with the grouse. He logged about 10-12 miles of walking that day and his determination paid off.

The next morning we basically packed up and drove home. This is what we saw......

SANY0486.jpg

SANY0485.jpg

A good sized range fire. Luckily it is not near any towns, though a wind farm may be in jeopardy.

It was a great weekend with my son, one I will never forget. God Bless Wyoming!

What a great cast and blast! That trout is a dandy. Wish I had caught such a big one this year.

What a great day!

Life just doesn't get any better than the weekend you had. Hunt, fish, hunt some more. And all good quality time with your son.

LOOks like you had a goog time around my part of the woods. Nice brown trout. let me guess, Platte river, west of Casper and east of Rawlins . Glade you had a good time.:)

let me guess, Platte river, west of Casper and east of Rawlins . Glade you had a good time.:)

jmac, I did and always do have a great time in Wyoming. As far as location we were on the West side of the Continental Divide, a long ways from Casper or Rawlins. Used to fish the Platte years ago, too busy for me these days.:cheers:

That does sound like a great time! Can't wait till the boys are old enough I have an excuse to go to other states and try some new types of game.

Thanks for sharing the pics and story!

jmac, I did and always do have a great time in Wyoming. As far as location we were on the West side of the Continental Divide, a long ways from Casper or Rawlins. Used to fish the Platte years ago, too busy for me these days.:cheers:

ok, I missed, west side where , in wyomig? what river did you fish? Green, river. :)

Sounds like a heck of a day. I was thinking the Platte too. Oh well. I'm headed up to fish the Grey reef next weekend. My cousins and I won a guided trip at last years PF banquet. It it going to be awesome! We did have the option of pheasant hunting, but figured, we don't have many chances at a guided trip on the Platte. Better take advantage!:beer:

Back