Wyoming Blues?

Im leaving on the 24th headed out that way. Gonna start looking for some sage grouse but will hopefully head up high looking for blues later in the week. Gonna be a blind hog looking for a nut but gonna put some effort into it!

Im leaving on the 24th headed out that way. Gonna start looking for some sage grouse but will hopefully head up high looking for blues later in the week. Gonna be a blind hog looking for a nut but gonna put some effort into it!

where are you going to hut in Wyoming? Blue's and sage don't mix much.:)

shirly basin area for sage then gonna move into mountains ...green mountain , medicine bow maybe? Ever hunted blues there? This will be my first hunting trip to wyo. I worked in the thunder basin in the early 2000's

Green Mountain I have hunted blues, I don't know about Blues in Medicine Bow area. Back side of Muddy Mountain should be good.

Thanks , leaving next week and i am excited. Hopefully we can find some common ground with the goat hunters

Thanks , leaving next week and i am excited. Hopefully we can find some common ground with the goat hunters

LOL I wish you they best of luck. If I was you I would stay away from the MB area during lope season. It can get NUTS out there. The alcova area is the best sage grouse area in the state. Ive ready told you more than I should have on the open forum. You need more Pm Me.:)

Back from WYO

I am back from my trip that I aggravated you guys about all summer. It was awesome to say the least! We got into the sage grouse pretty good. Three of us killed 10 and missed that many more in 2 1/2 days of hunting. Was very windy and had 3-4 '' of snow after day 1. Moved up to casper mountain for blues and struck out. From there went to the buffalo / sheridan area and got into a really nice covey of huns and pulled 4 out of it. Hunted sharpies in the same general area and killed 4 and missed at least that many more. From there we went up in the big horns and tried blues again. One guy killed 2. One guy killed1 and myself....I believe my barrel was bent cause I missed 3! Wyoming is definitely an under appreciated bird state!

I am back from my trip that I aggravated you guys about all summer. It was awesome to say the least! We got into the sage grouse pretty good. Three of us killed 10 and missed that many more in 2 1/2 days of hunting. Was very windy and had 3-4 '' of snow after day 1. Moved up to casper mountain for blues and struck out. From there went to the buffalo / sheridan area and got into a really nice covey of huns and pulled 4 out of it. Hunted sharpies in the same general area and killed 4 and missed at least that many more. From there we went up in the big horns and tried blues again. One guy killed 2. One guy killed1 and myself....I believe my barrel was bent cause I missed 3! Wyoming is definitely an under appreciated bird state!

I am guessing it was all public? man I would love to hunt something like that

SSSSSHHHHHH. Be quite. LOL:D Sounds like you had a great Time. :thumbsup:

Was mostly public. Some private. Didn't see any good deer in the bighorns. Saw plenty of them just none with good hardware. Plenty of antelope for sure!

What no grizzly story? I am glad you had such a new adventure. Its a blast planning for a trip and then having it all come together.

What no grizzly story?

No Grizz in the Big Horns. I won't say there has never been a grizzly in the Big Horns but for the most part they don't seem to come that far east. They stay in the mountain ranges on the western side of the state.

Nice hunt esetter, sounds like a great time.

for what it's worth esetter hunted the bighorns 2 days last week and only saw 5 sage grouse and they were all together. didnt look like good habitat for them in our part of central WY.

No Grizz in the Big Horns. I won't say there has never been a grizzly in the Big Horns but for the most part they don't seem to come that far east. They stay in the mountain ranges on the western side of the state.

Nice hunt esetter, sounds like a great time.

Zeb is right Grizz In the big horns Maybe around the Cloud peak wilderness area. I have run into them there but thats been many many years ago. They have been sighted in the wind river range and very infrequently In the Casper area heading thought town toward the Big horns. I was in high school the last time one came though casper 1977, if I remember right. The Grizz came down off of muddy mountain and then casper mountain via Garden creek to the North platte river swam the NP and was last seen heading for the big horn mountain. This bear was lost and probably ended up in the teton's or the wind river's. Unless your in the North west corner of Wyoming Grizzly beers are not of much concern.

Essetter, I am glade you had a good time in Wyoming Chasing Upland birds. There is no place like wyoming. I maybe biased.:cheers:

Dont know if you meant blue grouse but we saw WAY more than 5 sage grouse. We killed 3 blues and hunted the big horns one day. How many sage did you see M77?

Back