WTB: Dog trailer in western IA

smallmunster

I am looking for a used dog trailer in western Iowa. I will travel a ways for the right deal. It must be able to hold 6 to 8 50 to 60lb dogs. A 4 hole with bigger holes so I can double them up would work as well. I am looking to spend around $2000 or less. I have family in the Kansas City area and northern IA southern MN that could possibly look at some for me as well. Must be in decent shape for my trips to Arkansas and South Dakota.

Kind of did a quick search of the web and various sites and came up empty. I think to get a good 6 hole trailer it's going to take more than $2,000. Unless you find a homemade one, then it might fall into your range. But an aluminum 6 hole made by a reputable manufacturer will probably be more in the $3,500 to 4,000 range. I'm always looking on the web so if I see something I'll let you know. I did a little looking on Craigslist.com but didn't see anything. You might want to check Craigslist in your area and surrounding areas. Good luck.

hell i can build you an aluminum for pretty close to that price give or take a few hundred I just built a 7 by 10 foot trailer out of steel and the material was only 500 bucks course aluminum will be more but not alot

I have missed out on a couple that I found on the web and passed on one for $1900 that was a 4 hole that the boxes were just a little too small for two dogs on long trips. There is an outfit in IL that makes new trailers with 7 or 8 holes for under $3000, but I am looking for used for a while to see if I can save some money. I have looked on Gundogcentral and there have been some good deals on there if I lived in TX or down south. Thanks for the help guys.

in my experience used is usually used crap better to spend the money and get new and get exactly what you want

You might be right about that. I will only use it a few times each year so I am going to look for a while and see if I get lucky. If I can't find one I like I will have to reevaluate getting a new one.

I just saw one on ebay, to big for you, 14 dog trailer, almost $10,000, I have a home made trailer I thought about selling but just not to sure right now, 4 X 9 feet, 6 dog with new white spoke rims with about 2200 miles on the tires, three time to SD from Colorado with a storage compartment on the front with a new battery operated jack. Heavy frame, it has been to SD three, Iowa four times with no problem. Let me give it some thought but not sure I could sell it for $2000. Maybe but kinda doubt it.

Thanks for the leads. I have been trying to get with the guy in Wichita, but so far it is not working out. I found another one for around a $1000 that is a little rough I might go look at. It is a little bigger than I was thinking, but if it is solid I might consider it. If worse comes to worse I will put them in the truck topper like I have for the last 15 years and look in the off season again.

My dad was in KC to see my niece and made the trip over to Wichita to see the one for sale there. It was homemade, but done up pretty good and looks like it will work well for me so I now own a dog trailer. Thanks to BrownDogsCan2 for the heads up. My dad negotiated a price that we both could live with and I ended up right at my price range including the gas to get there and back. Thanks everyone for your help.

8 hole

Do you have any pics? I would like to find a four hole dog box myself.
I think its a mistake to buy a 4 hole get a 6 or better yet a 8 hole. Think of the extra boxes as lockable storage, you can see your trailer when you back up, longer trailers ride better. I like one you can see over the top wile going down the road, with a long tounge I can jack knife it and turn it around on a country road "cop turn" You can look at a 8 hole I designed at www.wesslpointer.com weighs only 550 empty I pull it with a ford explorer got 18mpg on one tank on my Dakota trip this year.

Last edited:
Back