Woodcock

jasper

Any body been out chasing them? Went out with a friend to day for a little under three hours. Had 30+ flushes and we walked away with a two man limit. Great day to be out.

IMAG0223.jpg

I do not shoot them unless my Setter makes a perfect point and is steady, never shoot them for my springer.

I do not shoot them unless my Setter makes a perfect point and is steady, never shoot them for my springer.

Wow,
Then you better sit down when I tell you I hunt them with my lab and waterfowl shotgun. Sorry I am not as privileged as you are in being able to hunt over a fine English Setter and I'm sure a fine English shotgun to boot. Elites attitudes like yours make me wonder why I even post on the board or hunt upland birds. To me if your dog puts up birds and you have a good time in the field that is all that matters. Not how much money you spend on your dog, guns and everything else you try to show off and put working class hunters down with.

Jasper

I'm far from an elite, and I'm sure you spent more for your Labs.
I meant I don't like woodwork and don't like to shoot something
Just to shoot it. If my Setter makes a good point
And stays steady I will shoot it for him as training, and give the bird to a friend.
I wasn't trying to piss anyone off, most my hunting is done with the springer, the Setter is a new dog, and If he does something right I will reward him. Not trying to be elite, It's actually comical.
JW:confused:

Fenway,
I took your post a very different way. I can see your point and apologize for jumping to conclusions. Words can be a tricky thing on a forum. With no verbal tone involved it can be easy to misinterpret. I can see woodcock being a great training tool for a pointer. They normally hold very tight. As for my lab he was rescue and I paid two hundred dollars for him but for all I know your setter was free. Good luck on the new pup. Don't forget that the puppy years go fast and to cherish those first points.
Brad

No problem I was trying badly It seems, to say woodcock aren't my favorite bird to actually put in the vest.
By the way I've had several labs. :thumbsup:
JW

Setters = elites? Pretty funny stuff...

I grew up with setters and still have them, although in between dogs at the moment. I'm the first generation not raised on the farm, have plenty of relatives still on the farm, was raised blue collar and proud of the old guns I carry. My first shotgun, which I still own, was a Stevens pump 12 guage, 30" barrel, full choke, that I used on pheasants around Burlington as a kid. A few friends of mine who have setters were either raised on the farm, or near a sawmill. Surely no elites.

I love my setters and I love hunting the timber doodle with them. There's just about no finer thing in life to see a good dog mopping up the doodles, holding staunch points, shooting those little, dodging buggers. I enjoy eating them, too, although a lot of people don't enjoy their liver-like flavor.

I've been seeing a decline in Woodcock populations here in NC WI for several years. A loss in habitat as tag alder stands, created in another age, go overmature and decline.

Jasper, my sister gets all cranked up at me from time to time because she misread something into what I wrote to her. It happens all the time and I usually get a kick out of her confusion, just like I did yours.

I haven't lived in Burlington since '77 and understand the pheasant hunting isn't near what it was when I was a teenager. I live north now and hunt grouse and woodcock, with an annual trip to SD if I'm lucky. You've gotta love hunting birds, no matter what species and you've gotta love hunting over a good dog, not matter the breed.

Ya'll have a great weekend! Go Packers!

Back