woodcock or grouse anyone ?

mmelton

Any Michigan Hunters having luck bagging thunder chickens or timber doodles this year.

I went out last Sunday for the first time this year flushed 7 grouse and 4 woodcock only fired the gun once on a grouse but missed. Still lots of leaves on the trees I guess will be my excuse for this one.

Went out again last Sunday my buddy was able to put a grouse in the bag. I missed two grouse and two woodcock we had a total of 7 flushed grouse and 4 or 5 woodcock. We also met up with Kevin who I bought a pup from late August. We saw more birds working with him and his young Small Munsterlander than with my 11 year old English Setter. My dog is just two old to hunt more than a half day anymore. I will be heading to the UP on the 12th with the old dog for a week we wont hunt too hard nor will we have to. I think just walking in the grouse woods or sitting next to the river just me and him is some damn good quality time well spent. He is the best listener I have ever known. Sometimes its almost like we can just look at each other and know what we both have on each others minds. The whole vacation is just so sole cleansing birds or not. Who ever said dogs were mans best friend hit the nail on the head for sure.

Went out again last Sunday my buddy was able to put a grouse in the bag. I missed two grouse and two woodcock we had a total of 7 flushed grouse and 4 or 5 woodcock. We also met up with Kevin who I bought a pup from late August. We saw more birds working with him and his young Small Munsterlander than with my 11 year old English Setter. My dog is just two old to hunt more than a half day anymore. I will be heading to the UP on the 12th with the old dog for a week we wont hunt too hard nor will we have to. I think just walking in the grouse woods or sitting next to the river just me and him is some damn good quality time well spent. He is the best listener I have ever known. Sometimes its almost like we can just look at each other and know what we both have on each others minds. The whole vacation is just so sole cleansing birds or not. Who ever said dogs were mans best friend hit the nail on the head for sure.

Amen!!!!!!!

he knows

The old dog saw me packing the truck and knows we will be leaving soon. The pup has no idea what is in store for him. This could be the last trip north for the old dog and its the first for the new pup. I'm excited to see if the pup can find his first woodcock on his own. My buddy goes up for the whole month (Lucky Bastard) and has told me the flight is just showing up. I guess he has had 20 flushes per outing the last three days. I cant wait !!! I'm not much of a picture taker but will try to remember to get a few pics and post

Hunted 6 days in the UP the old dog help up better than I thought he would. We would hunt about 2 hours in the mornings and 2 hours in the afternoon. Shot a limit of woodcock everyday but only managed to kill two grouse. Needless to say had a great time. I took the pup along and was pleased to see him unafraid of gun fire. He caught on to the game in about the second day and started hunting a little more each time out. After I shot a few birds over the old dog I would lead the pup up to the mark and he found every bird I shot after that it was game on. He pointed a couple woodcock and bumped a grouse for me too. At 15 weeks of age I would say he is starting out well.

Sounds like your having one of those "special" seasons, enjoy every minute of it. A lot of us know exactly what your feeling, and I feel sorry for those that don't understand.

I was in the U.P. last week hunting for couple days....woodcock hunting was outstanding as its been every time I've been there....grouse #'s were stable but birds were very tough...had points but they were flushing wild...had couple that should have been easy shots on wild flushes but that's grouse hunting lol. got my woodcock every day and had outstanding dog work. I'll take that any day.
wish I was up there right now

Last edited:
Had my last hunting trip of the regular season go well. I took the pup along and met back up with Kevin I got a chance to hunt with my pups mom and I was very pleased with her performance. We were able to bag two woodcock and three grouse and if our shooting was better we could have had more. All in all it was a great time. I rented a cabin for 5 days the second week of Dec and will be at it again for grouse.

Had my last hunting trip of the regular season go well a few weeks ago. I took the pup along and met back up with Kevin. I got a chance to hunt with my pups mom and I was very pleased with her performance. We were able to bag two woodcock and three grouse and if our shooting was better we could have had more. All in all it was a great time. I rented a cabin for 5 days the second week of Dec and will be at it again for grouse.

Only got out 2 days for Woodcock and grouse this year.

Me and the 2 guys I was with limited out both days before lunch and had many more flush throughout the day. Looking forward to next year!
null_zpse9d91723.jpg

Back