wirehaired pointing griffons

peterpointinglab

Does any out here have any info they can share with me about this breed and or any breeders in the midwest? I live in minnesota and am looking for some research advice. thank you

Does any out here have any info they can share with me about this breed and or any breeders in the midwest? I live in minnesota and am looking for some research advice. thank you

Go to this web site: http://versatiledogs.com/

Lots of Griff owners on the site and a lot of information if you look around. Or post your question and I know you will get a bunch of answers. There are a number of good Griff breeders in Wisconsin.

4-5 years ago when I was looking to get another dog I thought about something other than a Brittany. I researched a lot of dogs in the process but ended going back with a Britt. Anyway, the WPG was one of the dogs I strongly considered. Here's a few of the things I remember about WPG's. They are in general a little slower and closer working dog. Although the one I saw in person really moved pretty good. They are an indoor dog and do not do well in an outside kennel. They need to be around their people. In fact, I found most breeders will not sell pups to people unless the dog will be in the house among the family. As with most all wirehaired dogs their coats need to be stripped perodically. And they are quite a versatile dog when it come to hunting. That's why I highly suggest getting on the VersatileDogs.com web site to help in your research. Lots of Griff owners on that site with a lot of good info.

I found researching the various breeds to be very informative and a lot of fun. Good luck in your quest.

I will be hunting with one on Saturday. I think you will find it easier to get a good gsp, wirehair or pudelpointer than a griff. The griffs that I've met and hunted with are all friendly dogs and vary in terms of hunting ability. They are pretty athletic considering the bootlicking close worker things you hear about them. The ones I've hunted behind hunted within gun range on pheasants.

I don't think the griffon breeders are close to the shorthair, drahthaar or pudelpointer breeders in terms of consistency. I'd go Pudelpointer or wirehair before a griffon, but that's just my opinion. Go for a repeat breeding with Griffons that have some good results would be my advice. Certain kennels come to mind with other breeds, but I can't think of any well known griffon breeders. Most are hobby breeders with a couple of dogs.

Not sure where you are in MN, but I would recommend getting in touch with Rick or Kay Farris in Sioux Falls if you are interested in a Griff. Their website is http://www.dakotahgriffons.com/index.html I have only met them once a few years ago and watched their male Fazer finish his Senior Hunter title. He has since went on to finish his NAVHDA UT1 and Master Hunter. He was a real treat to see in the field. They are very active in NAVHDA and even not knowing them, I would recommend them as a valuable resource if you want a Griff.

Not sure where you are in MN, but I would recommend getting in touch with Rick or Kay Farris in Sioux Falls if you are interested in a Griff. Their website is http://www.dakotahgriffons.com/index.html I have only met them once a few years ago and watched their male Fazer finish his Senior Hunter title. He has since went on to finish his NAVHDA UT1 and Master Hunter. He was a real treat to see in the field. They are very active in NAVHDA and even not knowing them, I would recommend them as a valuable resource if you want a Griff.

I am in the same club as the Farris folks and they can give you some good advice. The Griff is not the bootlicker it tended to be years ago if you go to the right lines. Griff breeders involved with NAVHDA have some very nice dogs. I say this even as a Pudelpointer dreeder.

Pic of Lulu--just sold her Monday.

My son wants a griff pretty bad, but I just don't have room in the stable or time for training one. I have too many puppies that I am starting for this spring plus another spring litter. If was getting one though I would be talking to Rick and Kay.

I am a member of midwest navhda too but distance makes participation a little tough. Planning on doing a little more in the spring. Look forward to meeting sometime.

Back