Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

JFan02

Will (hopefully, long story) be taking home my new WPG pup in about 3 weeks. I know he will be too young for anything this fall. What about just bringing him along in the car for the trip and to be around other dogs for the weekend? I don't want to get him frustrated early on but want to get him used to other dogs and the car trips from NE MN down to pheasant country. Any input would be great.

A good friend of mine took his new pointer out with his shorthairs a couple of years ago. When the pup got tired he would put her in his game bag and let her go along for the ride. I don't think you can get them started to early, just don't expect to much.

I assume that when you get the new pup in 3 weeks he will be 8-9 weeks old. He will probably be to young and too small to take in the field this year, although maybe by the end of the season he will be big enough to hit the field for a little while. I started my Brit in the field at 3 1/2 months. But, taking him along in the car to be around you and the other dogs should be just fine. Probably be a good learning experience. Getting him use to travel, being in a kennel, etc.

Thanks. I wasn't thinking I would have him in the field at all. Just a chance to get used to the kennel and to be around for the weekend.

You are correct that he will be about 8-10 weeks old when I pick him up.

Congratulations on your new pooch! I adopted one that was 3 years old. He'd never even seen a field or a gamebird. His first season, w/ no training at all, he picked up on pointing right away. He is a natural born retriever that can swim as well as any lab I've seen. He swims fast! Above all, he is probably the best companion a guy could ask for. He is DIRTY all the time and he is a cockleburr(sp?) trap. The last sentence contains my ONLY complaints related to the breed. I love my Griffon Wirehair. An absolute treat with the kids and just plain friendly to everyone. I just wish his wirey hair didn't collect so many burrs while we're in pheasant country.

Last edited:
Thanks! That's great to hear about the breed. Everything I have read and heard has been positive. I have been waiting for the right time for this dog and now just want to make sure I train him well.

Thanks!

Do you think he would be fine in the car while I am working the field? I don't want to bring him out in the field until I would have a chance to get him used to gunshots.

Ya. He may not like it, but will get used to it. Bet a cheaop starting pistol or cap gun and shoot it up in the air when he is eating or a decent distance on a walk,backyard whatever. I just bang some metal as soon as they start eating solid fuel and have raised abot 40 pups with never a problem re gun shy. Regular socialization with other dogs and people produces aconfident pup also.
________
Ford Granada (Europe) Specifications

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Turns out I am not going to be getting the dog from the litter as I was planning. :( I am now back on the hunt.

Anyone know a good Griff breeder?

I have found Wirehairs to be good dogs. Hardy, good hunters, pretty calm. I bathe my dogs once per week.

Check the web for breeders. Believe it or not it works pretty well. Ask your local veterinarians for suggestions. Especially the one who hunt.

Walt MI/USA

Get a .32/22 blank pistol, carry it in your back pocket. Take the dog for a run in a field and let get out like it normally does. Then behind your back, don't let the dog see the gun. Fire one shot. Do nothing just keep walking. If the dog comes back to you for support "DO and SAY NOTHING" just keep walking. Let things get back to normal and then fire another shot. Do exactly as before just keep walking. This is good for 3 times then stop. It will take several trips before the dog will not even look at you or around. You want it to just keep running. Then you will know the bangs will not affect it. This is how I have broke I many dogs to gunshots. It works well.....Bob

Dogs are associative learners...

Why not associate gunshots with birds? This is what our trainer did and recommends.

Keep some dead pigeons or quail, toss one way out there and as the pup runs for it, showing interest, and is some distance from you, fire a shot from a blank gun.

Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Turns out I am not going to be getting the dog from the litter as I was planning. :( I am now back on the hunt.

Anyone know a good Griff breeder?

Hi, JFan.

Sorry to hear the pup didn't work out from that breeder. I can recommend several sources of Griffons if you want to message me, some probably pretty close to you. Let me know which breeder you were working with.

Nooooo

Don't do it... He will just be a little guy.... If you want to get him socialized bring him to your local dog park.... That young if you want to get him in the field bring him to a field and plant some wings/hides around and let him run around.... It would do him no good to leave him in a kennel while you are out walking a field.... He will get there don't worry.... Def don't push it.... If he has a bad experience the first few times it is going to be hard to change it....

Back