Winter

Well, now that the winter weather is past us, or at least we hope, how do the birds seem to have come out of the winter in SD? I am most interested in the areas west and northwest of Aberdeen. Should I be worried about bird numbers this fall? I know a lot depends on the spring, but I am curious on your thoughts and predictions.

Well, now that the winter weather is past us, or at least we hope, how do the birds seem to have come out of the winter in SD? I am most interested in the areas west and northwest of Aberdeen. Should I be worried about bird numbers this fall? I know a lot depends on the spring, but I am curious on your thoughts and predictions.

Flush, I know if you look at snow charts for whole winter the NE of Aberdeen had the heavier snow amounts where west and NW we lighter levels. I think the carry over will be good in that area and the hatch ahs a lot to do with it also.

Like I said in a previous post about the winter in the Aberdeen area, while we had a tough winter I am seeing a lot of birds on public land right now. A good sign. UGUIDE said it, a lot depends on the hatch and the weather during the hatch and while the chicks are young. We may have to wait until the road count surveys are done later this summer to know for sure. But I think we will have a good season again in this area.

Back