Winter Just Won't Go Away!

gjw

Hey all, just thought I'd give a quick report on this years winter. It won't go away! While overall we didn't get much snow, it was a cold one and still is. When I went to work today at 6 this morning the temp was 12 above. We were supposed to get snow yesterday, it missed us. Since the beginning of March we've been getting snow or a storm every week. Supposed to get snow again this Sunday. I hope it will miss us again.....if we're lucky. I don't think these "storms" have affected the birds much. We get a few inch's and then it will melt when the sun comes out and we're in the 30's. Right now I'm looking out the window at the prairie hills by my place, some patches of snow, but overall a lot of brown.

The big issue is this spring. I hope it won't be a cold and wet one. If it is, it will impact the nesting, and not for the best. Long range forecast is for a warming trend and near normal rain. Hope they are right. I've been seeing birds on the roads, quite a few hens (good) and a fair amount of roosters. I think they came thru alright.

In the mean time, guess we'll just have to bundle up (at least for this week!)

Till later.

Best,

Greg

Hey, sure hope we can....just let me know! Well, we got another 4 1/2" of snow this weekend and due for more snow this coming weekend. Supposed to warm up then get cold again! What a roller coaster ride!

Best,

Greg

Hey Greg you'll have to forgive me I'm not real knowledgeable about the subject but I would be thinking that we would want some rain out there to help recover from the drought I find myself checking the weather fairly often for The Bowman North Dakota area that I hunt hoping for rain but do we more want dry conditions for nesting in the spring then you're saying more so than recovering from the drought.

Hey b-b, yep we do need rain, no doubt about that. We don't need any spring snow storms however, but looks like we're back on track for spring weather. My only concern it we don't get a cold wet spring during nesting season, that's just as bad a a drought. Periodic rain and warm weather is just the ticket for good nesting. We also need the rain to produce insects for the chicks, didn't have that last year. I hope this year will fair much better than last. Looks like the birds did okay thru the winter, so we'll see what this spring holds.

Best,

Greg

Back