Winter’s coming!

My wife is leaving this week to visit our daughter who can't come home. I am watching the weather and just might throw the dogs in the truck for another week.

I escaped sd before the storm for once. Agree BB, weather looks good after the weather passes.

Haven’t made it to SD yet this year, planning on heading up 26th or 27th with my Grandson over his Christmas break. Hope the roads allow us to get there, looking forward to hunting in snow.

Spittin sleet and ice in extreme SE SD right now. Nothing crazy or dangerous for the birds, but will probably make them bunch up.

Old bb banger would be there regardless of the weather, he is retired!
I went out last January, around the 20th, kinda knowing there was a foot of snow with a thick crust of ice on top…really couldn’t hunt…oh well, worth a try…like the big native up in northern Manitoba that took several swigs from the beer bottle sitting atop the urinal…spit it against the wall, and admitted he figured it was what it was, “but worth the try in the off chance it was beer”…🫢

What kind of snow totals are people seeing from this storm? Looks like a little east of Mitchell is where the snow really started to accumulate according to the weather channel? Just curious as I will be heading out Wednesday morning and was curious what types of snow we will be looking at, we will be starting our trip east of Mitchell a little ways and moving around from there? I know they were originally calling for 8-10 inches in the area we hunt but it looks like that might be closer to 3-6 from what I have been seeing.

We had to stop in murdo and this picture is outside our door. Couldn’t even park in front of our room. Trying to get to chamberlain.

Attachments

• IMG_5640.jpeg
    IMG_5640.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 49
I snuckout yesterday from noon to about 130 and birds were sitting very tight. Nice change compared to the last two weeks. Snow will be gone by Wednesday for sure around Sioux Falls as we got maybe an inch but did have about 1.5 inches of rain before it turned to snow.

What kind of snow totals are people seeing from this storm? Looks like a little east of Mitchell is where the snow really started to accumulate according to the weather channel? Just curious as I will be heading out Wednesday morning and was curious what types of snow we will be looking at, we will be starting our trip east of Mitchell a little ways and moving around from there? I know they were originally calling for 8-10 inches in the area we hunt but it looks like that might be closer to 3-6 from what I have been seeing.
I like looking at SD 511…there are cameras all over the state that you can access, the pictures are updated every 15 minutes…

I snuckout yesterday from noon to about 130 and birds were sitting very tight. Nice change compared to the last two weeks. Snow will be gone by Wednesday for sure around Sioux Falls as we got maybe an inch but did have about 1.5 inches of rain before it turned to snow.

I really, REALLY wanted to hunt in snow, but had to settle for rain both Sunday & Monday. Quite frankly, it was great! It took corn fields & lots of other cover out of play, leaving only those places, NEAR food, that pheasants could stay dry. We still got soaked in the short time we hunted, but luckily it was warm enough to not be cold. Plus, I find I feel much less uncomfortable when there are roosters around.
20231224_131526.jpg

Got some pretty crunchy foot step snap chats from a buddy today east of mitchell.... sent one , dog caught it and tail was all ice. ... said birds after that holding nice.

Back