Winchester rooster XR

Bob Peters

I'm wondering if anyone has tried these shells and how they have performed? I'm trying to stock up on the RIGHT shells before season starts, as last year I had a tough time finding shells once the season started.

I bought a case of them on sale and have used a few. They seemed to kill pheasants okay but had a heavier load than I needed or wanted. I think they are 1 3/8 oz at 1450 FPS. I'm pretty sure I still have 9 full boxes and most of the 10th, but they were on sale.:oops:

From what I see about them I'd never use one. Looks like they are made to shoot tight patterns and touted to kill pheasants at 50+ yards. Shot encased in resin plus inner wad? Just another gimmick. Turkey load shot at pheasants. You will either miss a lot of birds close or blow them to smithereens ruining them to eat. You don't need a Howitzer shell to cleanly kill pheasants. No need to spend $1.50 per shell either!
Just get some regular 4,5 or 6 size shot at 1200-1300fps and be happy.

I have used them and patterned them. They patterned extremely well in my Benelli, "Turkey load shot at pheasants" nah don't think so. If you do a lot of longer range shooting maybe later season especially a good load IMO.

From what I see about them I'd never use one. Looks like they are made to shoot tight patterns and touted to kill pheasants at 50+ yards. Shot encased in resin plus inner wad? Just another gimmick. Turkey load shot at pheasants. You will either miss a lot of birds close or blow them to smithereens ruining them to eat. You don't need a Howitzer shell to cleanly kill pheasants. No need to spend $1.50 per shell either!
Just get some regular 4,5 or 6 size shot at 1200-1300fps and be happy.
Bobby kills a lot of birds and late in the season. He knows what he is talking about. I would suggest patterning them if you are sold on the shell. That takes care of the questions. Many times I have watched buddies miss on the first two shots and kill the bird with the third shot. Tight patterns are for those that shoot a lot and know their gun.

If you take those longer shots you need to use a premium shotgun shell IMO. I have gone to the Hevishot Bismuth loads because they hit harder and pattern so well in my Beretta. I can use a smaller shot size and reach out further than anyone I know that uses either lead or steel. Also, the non-tox is a major plus.

Density of
Steel - 7.9 g/cc
Bismuth - 9.6 g/cc
Lead - 11.4 g/cc

Ballistics say you can take a smaller shot size in lead and preform better than bismuth but not the other way around.
It's hard to beat lead #5's when legal to hunt with.

Reactions: Jet
Yeah, reaching out further w/ bismuth than w/ lead would have nothing to do w/ the fact that it's bismuth. I shoot plenty of bismuth, but still shoot lead whenever I can. Because it simply performs better in almost all cases & usually cheaper. Granted, all gun/choke/load combinations perform differently. But in general, what I've found is that, all other things being equal, bismuth patterns very close to lead; maybe a twitch tighter. But not enough to increase effective range by improving pattern density. Any "tightness increase" downrange are offset by the facts that bismuth loads tend to be a tad lighter than a similar lead load & that to have the same pellet energy as lead at long range, you have to increase pellet size a smidgen. (fewer, bigger pellets) Achieving equal pellet energy with bismuth 5's as lead 5's at, say, 50 yards is practically impossible to do simply by increasing muzzle velocity. Gotta go a size bigger.

With lead being toxic and obviously a bad deal for the environment, I am also a big proponent of both bismuth and tungsten. I think that eventually you will not see much lead offerings. I think that the density of the tungsten does make it a better shot comment in shotgun shells and the minimal cost difference is not that significant to me especially when I am getting a better shotgun shell. When I use shells like Hevi Shot, I find that I can use a smaller shot size (more pellets) and not sacrifice knockdown power or shot distance.

Back