Winchester 20 Gauge 2 3/4" 1oz. 1300FPS Super Pheasant Copper Plated Diamond Grade

I really would like to know why there is such a shortage of upland ammo? ( or ammo in general) thought most was US made?
Covid is long over, I understand why the prices are higher. cant believe that their are that many more people hunting.

I really would like to know why there is such a shortage of upland ammo? ( or ammo in general) thought most was US made?
Covid is long over, I understand why the prices are higher. cant believe that their are that many more people hunting.
Makes you wonder doesn't it. Ther's no way people are hording like they did with the rifle and handgun ammo. Almost like they are holding back and gouging at the same time. Surely it doesn't have anything to do with profit margins??

Most manufacturers don’t operate at a huge surplus due to cost of holding inventory. Once you get behind demand it is hard to get caught up again, especially when labor for typically low paying work is at a premium. We have seen this across a large range of products we sell. It will be awhile before supply catches up. At least the same amount of time as it was down.

Supposedly Vista Outdoors has been running the lines 24/7/365 since October 2021. Since then, shotgun sports have been reporting a decline in shots fired. IE: the ATA shows registered target totals way down.

Given the scarcity and price hikes, it's reasonable to think that shotgun shooters overall are shooting far fewer shells than before the pandemic.

Yet the shelves remain lightly stocked and prices remain very high. It's therefore pretty hard for me to believe the Vista CEO.

Most manufacturers don’t operate at a huge surplus due to cost of holding inventory. Once you get behind demand it is hard to get caught up again, especially when labor for typically low paying work is at a premium. We have seen this across a large range of products we sell. It will be awhile before supply catches up. At least the same amount of time as it was down.
Federal in Anoka Mn starts pay at 21.00 a hour jumps to 27.00 quickly , not great , but this is entry level work.

I think you miss the fact that the major producers manufacture both shotgun and rifle/pistol ammo. There are still record high sales levels of rifles and pistols guns in 2022, just off the all time peak in 2021. Very high percentage of first time buyers who get a lot of ammo with their gun. Federal here is running ammo and pistol lines all year round and take a seasonal break to switch over shotgun lines to get out some shells in time for fall. They have been through enough boom/bust cycles where they added more production lines that take decades to pay off and nearly went bankrupt when the market went back down. Hard on people that get a job there, work for a couple years on the expansion lines and then get laid off. It didn't help when Remington went into reorg mode and slowed down ammo production either.

I've heard and read about record gun sales and ammo purchases.

I'm an RSO at a public range. All I can tell you is our total number of shooters took about a 60% drop in the first 18 months after the covid isolatio9 stuff started. Even though we're an outdoor range. Usage numbers are still at about 50% of what it was pre-covid.

The people that do come out, don't shoot the number of rounds they did before covid. Fewer rounds of skeet and trap, shorter sessions at pistol and rifle ranges. So all the new buyers shooting all the ammo are sure not visiting our range. Those that do come still mention the shortage and price of all ammo, rifle/pistol/shotgun.

Maybe all that ammo went into private storage. I don't know.

I have shot these in both 12 and 20 and they do a nice job, I prefer winchester and these were a nice upgrads.

Back