Wild or stocked?

Tailfeathers

Being from PA, south of Pittsburgh, I hunt pheasants that are stocked by our game commission. I am a little too young to remember when there was wild roosters flying around these parts. My question is what are the main differences between stocked birds and wild ones? Now, I know there has to be some very few but some wild birds left. Is there anyway of telling the difference between them? Also, what is the difference in hunting wild birds? Some day I hope to get out to other states that still have wild birds and hunt, but for now I will just enjoy what I have! Thanks

I have heard the lower jaw test can aid in telling the age of the bird. If the jaw folds it is that less than a year old. Not sure if it is truthful or not.

Another way you can tell the stockers is by the tail feathers, most stocked birds I have harvested do not have the long undamaged tail feathers that a wild bird has. But I agree with Tailfeathers that looking for the telltale signs of a blinder is probably the best bet.

If you're asking about the difference in hunting freshly stocked, pen-raised versus wild pheasants, it's easy to tell. The wild pheasants fly like bats outa hell and often fly half a mile away when flushed. Stocked birds I've hunted sometimes were unable to fly farther than 50 feet, and then rather slowly. Some simply flew up into the nearest tree and showed no fear of humans, having been exposed to them daily. If you've hunted and eaten stocked birds, when you open up your first wild bird and view its breast, you'll see a difference.

Typically a wild bird will have longer tail feathers and act more "wild". They won't hold for the point as well and they fly like crazy. A lot of released pheasants just don't fly very well. Ive been on released bird hunts where you literally have to kick the pheasant to get it to fly. Wasn't much fun. HOWEVER, I hunt over released birds every year at a farm/hunt club in PA. This place should be the model for everyone who wants to run a released bird opperation. They release 400 birds a month before the season, and then they release birds throughout the season as well. Its not put and take, its more like hunting in a stocked trout pond. You could be hunting a bird that was released the day before, or a bird that was born wild from the hold over birds the year before. Those birds are awesome and they are as close to wild birds as you will ever find. Id actually say they are nearly identicle to early season SD pheasants. They run, flush wild, occasionally hold for point, and fly incredibly well. When they fly you better kill them as well because its rare that they don't put a couple hundred or more yards between you and them..

Typically a wild bird will have longer tail feathers and act more "wild". They won't hold for the point as well and they fly like crazy. A lot of released pheasants just don't fly very well. Ive been on released bird hunts where you literally have to kick the pheasant to get it to fly. Wasn't much fun. HOWEVER, I hunt over released birds every year at a farm/hunt club in PA. This place should be the model for everyone who wants to run a released bird opperation. They release 400 birds a month before the season, and then they release birds throughout the season as well. Its not put and take, its more like hunting in a stocked trout pond. You could be hunting a bird that was released the day before, or a bird that was born wild from the hold over birds the year before. Those birds are awesome and they are as close to wild birds as you will ever find. Id actually say they are nearly identicle to early season SD pheasants. They run, flush wild, occasionally hold for point, and fly incredibly well. When they fly you better kill them as well because its rare that they don't put a couple hundred or more yards between you and them..

What age are they released? How's the predators in the area where they are released? Once released are you doing anything to maintain the survival (feeding)?

They are new birds so Im sure it depends on the hatch. As far as preditors are concerned, sure they exist, but the farm has about 500 acres that have set up for pheasants. There are tree lines, shelter belts, grass fields, and they plant milo fields for cover and feed, so there is cover for the birds to get away from a lot of the predators. The farm is also surrounded by other farms that have corn and other crops. Thats why its so much like hunting wild birds. The birds don't stay on only one farm, and they spread out. The farm house is located close, but its not directly on the farm. At night on the deck we would watch 15-30 roosters feeding in the fields on another farm that obviously came from the club we hunt. If I didn't know the birds were released, I would have honestly thought they were wild birds, with the exception of their number. Its the only preserve that I know of besides SD preserves that release birds all season rather then put and take birds that suck and don't fly.

I've also had someone tell me you grab them by their lower jaw and lift them up. If the weight of the entire bird folds the jaw, it is a planter. I dont know if I believe this one though because I;ve picked up young wild birds that way and had the bill fold.

As a rule of thumb, all birds (upland, waterfowl, cranes, etc.) have not developed enough calcification in their bone structure and beaks/bills to support their body weight during their first year of life. So, wild birds that are yearlings will fail the the test. Coincidently, the vast majority of planted birds will also fail the test, as most of them come from this year's hatch.

At my age...everything has become brittle!:eek:

Thanks for all the tips! Although I am a little confused. All the birds that I hunt fly very well and are nice size birds. They have decent tail feathers and stout bodies. I use a flushing lab so maybe that is why they fly so good for me, they cackle great when going up and if you don't get them another chance is a rare occurrence. PA is doing a great job on their stocking program. Thanks again!

JetJockey,where in PA is this farm/hunt club,and is it open to the public? I live in Maryland and would be interested in this if it isn't too far from me. Thanks.

The lower jaw thing

I've also had someone tell me you grab them by their lower jaw and lift them up. If the weight of the entire bird folds the jaw, it is a planter. I dont know if I believe this one though because I;ve picked up young wild birds that way and had the bill fold.

Hey JS;
Our group ran into a Montana State Biologist last year and he showed us the lower jaw thing however he said that this is an accurate way of telling new birds ( 1yr and younger) from the more mature. If the beak bends then this is indication of a bird of the year ( young)

870-lefty, you can get on the PAgame commission website and they will show you where they stock birds. I am sure there is some state gamelands close to you that stocks birds!

870-lefty, you can get on the PAgame commission website and they will show you where they stock birds. I am sure there is some state gamelands close to you that stocks birds!

Tailfeathers, I started hunting the PA state gamelands in York County back in 1984 or 1985, and it was great THEN! They used to stock twice a week for the first 3 weeks of the season and whatever birds were left they released the last week. Then some where around the early 90's they cut back on how many birds they were raising (went from 200,000 to 100,000) and releasing state wide. Went to stocking once a week for the first 3 weeks and NOTHING the last week. I also noticed they started doing stupid things like cutting hedgerows down to nubs and tearing out patches/thickets of good pheasant and rabbit holding cover on the gamelands I hunted virtually ruining what used to be GREAT hunting. I quit going there around 1995. Went back last year hoping it had improved but it had not. Even tried some gamelands in Adams Co. and had the same results, virtually no rabbits or pheasants. It might be good in western PA where you are, but in South East PA it sucks!

I was at the gamelands in Adams county on Monday and was able to get 6 birds up. Couldn't get any shots on them but some birds are out there. This year is even tougher due to the loss of 30,000 birds from the PGC game farm. Next year should be better when they increase to 200,000 birds. I think they are planning on doing more releases next year as well.

870-Lefty, I know of a hunting farm in Glen Rock, Pa (southern york county) that I go to several times a year. If you are interested I can get you some info on the place.

Sorry to hear that. Over here they stock not only gamelands but a good bit of farms that is open to the public so the cover is nice. Good luck finding something! Does Maryland stock birds?

I spend a lot of time in South East Pa..scouting and hunting and the pheasant hunting far from "sucks". You have to put in the effort to find good cover and such but once you do you will put up birds! The future of pheasant hunting in Pa is only getting better. The Game Commission along with Pheasants Forever is currently in the process of implementing their Pheasant Management Plan! Habitat is being put in all around the state and the Trap and Transfer Program is showing signs of progress and some WPRA's may open to hunting in the next few years!

my observations

I now live in Wisconsin and the state stocks birds on public ground. The biggest difference for me is that the stocked birds stick around the area even after they hear your party and truck.
Numerous times when hunting wild birds you will pull in and barely walk out of the truck and see numerous birds flushing out of the field. I've yet to experience this on stocked birds.
Also I've noticed that pen raised birds tend to run until pinned by the dog. My experience with wild birds is typically they are trying to run out of gun range then flush wild (I've not experienced a wild flush from a stocked bird)
Just my experiences and observations. I really enjoy the extra effort it takes to harvest a wild bird

Sorry to hear that. Over here they stock not only gamelands but a good bit of farms that is open to the public so the cover is nice. Good luck finding something! Does Maryland stock birds?

I am 58 yrs. old and have been hunting small game since I was 13 or 14. Maryland has never stocked pheasants since I have been hunting and if they ever did it was stopped long before I started hunting. Maryland DNR does absolutely nothing for the small game/upland hunter. All they care about is deer, turkey, and waterfowl hunting, and taking your money but giving you pretty much nothing in return. Very, very little public land for upland hunting, but LOTS of public land for deer and turkey hunting.

Next year the PGC will go back to releasing 200,000 birds, this will enable them to once again release birds on Co-OP and safety zones properties. This will further enhance the hunting experience in Pa.in areas that have shown little promise for natural reproduction. In addition to that some of the WPRA areas may soon be open for hunting, enabling a sportsman the opportunity to harvest WILD PHEASANT. The PGC is continuing looking at new areas for more Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas in the more traditional pheasant range,so I think the future of pheasant hunting in Pa. looks pretty darn good!

I was at the gamelands in Adams county on Monday and was able to get 6 birds up. Couldn't get any shots on them but some birds are out there. This year is even tougher due to the loss of 30,000 birds from the PGC game farm. Next year should be better when they increase to 200,000 birds. I think they are planning on doing more releases next year as well.

870-Lefty, I know of a hunting farm in Glen Rock, Pa (southern york county) that I go to several times a year. If you are interested I can get you some info on the place.

Yes, I would be interested in that. Please PM me with the info and your thoughts on the place. Thanks.

Back