WIHA during deer season

Yeah, I dont need a lesson in etiquette. I am a sportsman and we did drive around the whole place first and did not see a truck. I would imagine they were having someone pick them up as the truck that was on the road that they went to get into was not there when we went past the first time. And it was about 2:15 when this happened. The only thing I need to work on is how to snap out of coach/protection mode when I see someone being ignorant to kids. But I dont think that will ever happen. He wanted to go put his dog up and quit hunting after that. Very discouraging.

Did they happen to be there on the ground before you? If the answer is yes then that is not very sportsman like, hunting over ground that is already occupied. Deer are much harder to come by then pheasants so the excuse 2 more months means nothing. Bird season, dove season, turkey season, deer season if you roll up on a Piece of public and it is occupied try and find a different piece and if you suspect it to be deer hunters go back around 11:00 as most will go in for lunch. Plus before 11:00 birds tend to run more than sit so it is generally a better time to hunt rather than first thing in the morning. I am not saying what they did was right but if they were there first let them hunt. We all hunt because it makes us happy but in doing so we need to try and not offend others in the process.

And in my experience I have gotten way more birds early in the morning and later in the evening than late morning and midday. To each his own on timing but I dont follow that advice either.

Well see no big deal if there was no way of knowing they were there just a simple greeting would have been nice but if those guys were acting as you say maybe a good lesson for the kid (that not everybody is nice in the outdoors). 4 decades of Pheasant hunting mid morning has always produced for us here in Sw Kansas as birds are more flighty in the early morning and late evening as they are coming and going to food sources. Also in the early am and late pm plus predators seem to always have them riled as well. Well good luck and hope you have a better hunt next time.

I hunted this weekend with 2 younger kids. One was 13, one was 19 with a year old gsp. The pup is not bad at all but saw two deer hunters walking out of a place and ran to them as they were wearing orange like us. The kid went over to get his dog from them and they called him a dickhead! I was his baseball coach for 4 years and love the kid. So my temper flared, I walked over and asked which one wanted to get hit in the mouth! They quickly walked the other way and hopped in their truck. And I'm not that intimidating. They did not park in the public lot so didnt see theyre truck or we would not have hunted there. My opinion, deer season is open waaaayyy longer than bird season. So suck on it! I deer hunt too. But they have 2 months longer to deer hunt than I have to bird hunt. So I dont feel bad at all for em...

I am assuming your were talking about hunting in Missouri since rifle season is not open in Kansas yet. Deer hunters won't be wearing orange until Wednesday.

Hunting in Kansas. Two hunters. Probably mid-twenties. Both with bows in hand and orange hats. Don't know if they took em off in their stands and wore em on their way out? or if it was just amateur hour. But i could see the whole area pretty much. there was only one area with trees and i didnt see any orange when I got to the area. I will post the video. I didnt get the confrontation on video I dont think, but I know I have the kid walking up the hill with the dog and explaining the situation. I know I took it off and set it down with my gun when I walked over to confront.

Last edited:
We hunted this weekend. We put orange all over the dogs and drove around all the perimeters of the public land before we hunted it. We had no issues with deer hunters or sharing the land with deer hunters. One piece we put off until the end of the hunt because we knew there might be deer hunters there. When we went to hunt it we saw no orange and no trucks. We hunted in and about 400 yards in or so we saw a dot of orange at about 500 yards in a tree so we turned around. About that time we bumped a huge buck. He trotted right by that orange dot and nothing happened. So either the hunter was sleeping or he was marking his tree with an orange vest. It was just after lunch so I assume he was just marking his tree.

We did find a gut pile in another track of land that we thought might be deer hunted.

Hunted NC Kansas this past week. We saw the fewest deer hunters we have ever seen when we have hunted during the season. Saw a lot of deer though? No issues.

Back