Wife wants to hike with my bird dog!

tomt

I have a one year old, energetic lab that I've been working hard to get ready for the upcoming duck and upland season. He's working close enough in, with the need to occasionally bump him with the collar when he ranges to far out. My wife hikes up the mountain on which we live everyday and wants to bring the dog along. Up till now in have been demanding that she puts him on leash, although when I "demand" anything with my wife, I get THE look and I'm sure she doesn't always leash him. Is a dog able to differentiate between when he is hiking with my wife and hunting/training with me? I'm thinking no, but my last lab that just passed away was able to split up his time between us. Whatcha think?

I think the benefits of activity would far outweigh any drawbacks. My kids play fetch, walk and run my dogs and I am sure teach him some bad habits. But when it is time to hunt or train they are all business.

"Demanding" eh?

How's that working for you? :)

Your post itself speaks that you already know the resolution of your dilemma.

I only add an old adage: "When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

And of course, the dog knows when you are hunting versus meandering up a mountain.

It's going to be fine. I promise.

I think the benefits of activity would far outweigh any drawbacks. My kids play fetch, walk and run my dogs and I am sure teach him some bad habits. But when it is time to hunt or train they are all business.

Yep and on a mountain in Co he might save her life if there's any lions in that area.

My kids always played with my labs.....the dogs knew I meant what I told them and it never affected how they hunted around me.

I wish I had someone who would take my dogs on regular hikes with them, the added exercise would be great. Give your dog credit, he'll be able to know the difference between a fun hike and a hunting situation, I pretty much let my dogs run free while excercising but once a shotgun comes out they know the task at hand.

When we are out for a "fun" run my dogs all love to chase rabbits but when we are hunting they know I will rarely, If ever, shoot a bunny for them so they don't give them much more than a passing glance.

Last edited:
Lots of wisdom here. Thinking back, my old lab never had a problem knowing the difference between taking a hike for exercise and taking out the shotgun. I read your replies to my wife and she laughed. As for protection from lions and bears, we've had a couple of each come down into our neighborhood, never with any negative consequences. More worried about rattlers..

Yep rattlers would be a deal breaker I don't work my dogs here in Georgia anywhere in areas they frequent.

Absolutely no problem with my wife taking the dog for a hike. They know the difference between a walk and a hunt allright. This past weekend we had a house full up north and lousy weather. Sunday morning after feeding everyone breakfast I asked for volunteers for a hike. All 7 in attendance agreed to come along. The dog had a blast and got 4 miles of exercise. Now when I take him out with a gun case along and get out his collar, it's all business.

One of my brothers has had 6 dogs. None of them worth a darn. The current pup is 2 and he won't let it off the leash to play with the other dogs in camp. Afraid it will run away, or some nonsense. The dog needs to me around people and other dogs. Cooped up, or on a leash 24-7 is no good for the animal's development.

Letting the dog hike with momma is good socialization, too.

Back